UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think it's easier to pass a medical to fight in MMA, than it is to pass a medical to wrestle in WWE.

Let's not forget some of the fuckers who fought in Bellator this year. Ken Shamrock by most accounts is a physical wreck. DaDa 5000 almost died. Only months after he fought in Bellator, Kimbo sadly did die. 

The UFC probably are a bit more picky than Bellator. However, they've had some suspect characters on their books before. They sanctioned a bout between Royce Gracie and Matt Hughes, which was set up to be a slaughter. They milked Ken Shamrock well into his 40's as well.

• Paid Members

Dude, he just passed UFC medicals and fought last night.

He got passed a lot of things he shouldnt have to fight last night, that others wouldnt have.

Like what?

The Ohio commission says you need 5 amateur fights (with a winning record) otherwise you arent allowed to fight. They gave him special dispensation, which simply would never have happened for a man of his age and injuries, if it wasnt for him being a celeb who they wanted to fight. Some monkey business went on there.

• Paid Members

Sage fought at Welterweight in January

LW is his official UFC weight class though. Unless he wants to move. His last fight was at LW. As were his previous 2 before the Barberena fight. His WW fight was a once-off.

I've actually thought up the perfect scenario.

Punk vs Ken Shamrock. 

I mentioned that before Gall was announced as an opponent.

Why the UFC would bring in a guy like Punk who'll draw eyeballs and who's willing to fight two or three times at least and feed him to a young guy who's got a point to prove is beyond me. An absolute waste really.

Someone with some name value, who's a bit older, and more importantly, who knows that it's a show and that they aren't gunning for quickest finish in UFC history.

Shamrock or Royce Gracie would have been ideal. In fact, either of them would still be ideal, meaning Punk could come in at 185lbs without the weight cut issues but not have to face a fucking monster.

• Paid Members

I don't like Gall, but I think he's doing a tremendous job with the spot he got. He probably is just being himself, which is a bit of a knobhead, but it's good he's not trying to so the super humble thing too much. From spending the week mocking Punk to his great promo on Sage, I think he's shown UFC made a decent choice in feeding Punk to him. He more than delivered.

• Paid Members

Yep, Gall has put himself in a position that some fighters who've fought 10+ times in the UFC dont reach. The post-fight in cage interview is usually wasted by fighters but Gall has nailed it 3 times out of 3.

I don't like Gall, but I think he's doing a tremendous job with the spot he got. He probably is just being himself, which is a bit of a knobhead, but it's good he's not trying to so the super humble thing too much. From spending the week mocking Punk to his great promo on Sage, I think he's shown UFC made a decent choice in feeding Punk to him. He more than delivered.

They could easily have brought Gall in and put him up against someone else though, couldn't they? 

I just never really saw the point in bringing someone like Punk in and putting him in there to get smashed off a guy who's a good few levels above him, and who, more importantly, has something to prove.

• Paid Members

Agree with David here. Literally everyone on here called this fight correctly (whether they liked the result or not) - Punk was getting smashed, and quickly. Gall was clearly leagues ahead of him. And let's not forget he also had 2 amateur MMA wins and has been training since his teens. That's a MMA 4-0 record, plus youth, speed, skills, and lack of injuries.

They really should have put Punk in with another celebrity - at least make it a full gimmick match. Like Punk vs Steven Seagal or Dog the Bounty Hunter. Or even another ex-pro wrestler!?

Like has already been said, Shamrock was the money fight. He's also more than likely good enough to still school Punk at this stage, but he'd have been more clued in to what was expected of him both pre-fight with the hype, interviews etc, and also during the fight.

Archived