The TV Ident thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators

As a sad bastard I have an unhealthy love of TV idents. The logos and symbols denoting the channel, for those who don't know Not new ones though, they are shit. The old ones. I love the fact there are so many different ones as ITV was regionalised before it got shit, from the amazing Central Cake ident, to this bag of shite - 

Of course, the gold standard of UK Television identity signifiers is the Channel 4 "Blocks" ident which was used until 1997 or so. Tremendous animation, and eye catching colour, using an instantly memorable four note theme taken from Fourscore written by David Dundas which earned him £1000 a week until C4 commissioned their own jingle which wasn't as good to get out of paying him over 50k a year. I can watch that ident and all it's variations all day like the sad fuck I am, mouth agape, catching flies.

Here is a compilation of Channel 4 idents, and below is a documentary about the idents used for real sad acts like me.

So yeah. Idents

• Paid Members

Love them, absolutely love them. Visiting relatives was great as a kid because I loved seeing the different regional idents. I felt like I was in a different world. I used to love the ones on Sky in the early 90's. There was a Sky Sports one that was a guitar riff and some lass just going 'whaaaaaauuu, SKY SPORTSSS!'

I went to Butlins in Skeggy in 1999. The TV's had Calendar on it with Mike 'The Man' Morris hosting. Bliss.

• Paid Members

This used to scare the shit out of me as a kid. I have no idea why, but it absolutely triggered me. Head under the quilt, fingers in ears. "Thanks for listening" is what I'll hear before I die.

• Moderators

Fantastic topic. This theme gets me all misty-eyed:

https://youtu.be/DuN5QiUk00E

Ah yes, lovely stuff!

Want to feel like you're on drugs? Check out Harlech's (later better known as HTV) 1968 effort.

Or TSW's strange one from their 1982 launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAJ7x-8UBcc

Eurosport 1990 is a win for me as well as  a few others including the ITV Schools Ident from the 1990's with added Central Ident 

I'm fascinated by this stuff and did get addicted to TV ARK for a long while...

Here's a Central Ident history of sorts

• Paid Members

I was in the Sky 1 ident with the trains. I was one of the people being filmed getting off a train. Not that you can see me as its in fast forward. But, £25 and breakfast for 30 minutes worth of being filmed (on and off the train over and over...).

Not much of a story really.

• Paid Members

I grew up with Thames Television. Someone's gone and done a whole collection of all the idents they had until Carlton took over ITV. The earliest one I remember is at 1:02, which isn't really all that different from the previous ones for the most part. You can tell when it gets all 90s with the last few and the "airy" saxophone sound in the new jingles.

• Paid Members

Of course, the gold standard of UK Television identity signifiers is the Channel 4 "Blocks" ident which was used until 1997 or so. Tremendous animation, and eye catching colour, using an instantly memorable four note theme taken from Fourscore written by David Dundas...

Even then he was Lord David Dundas, so he wouldn't have been short of money.

Archived