UFC Fight Night: McDonald vs Lineker - Wed 13 Jul

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Next Wednesday 13th July (my birthday, 31 years fucking old :() for this one. Completely forgot about this until Chunk mentioned it in another thread.

NXHTK.jpg

FOX SPORTS 1 MAIN CARD

Michael McDonald vs John Lineker

Tony Ferguson vs Landon Vannata

Tim Boetsch vs Josh Samman

Daniel Omielanczuk vs Oleksiy Oliynyk

Kyle Noke vs Keita Nakamura

Louis Smolka vs Ben Nguyen

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Lauren Murphy vs Katlyn Chookagian

Sam Alvey vs Eric Spicely

Cortney Casey vs Cristina Stanciu

Cody Pfister vs Scott Holtzman

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Rani Yahya vs Matthew Lopez

Devon Clark vs Alex Nicholson

Not the strongest card but a couple of good fights there and after the loaded weekend this week with three shows, three nights in a row plus UFC 200 plus the return of Brock Lesnar...this is basically the equivalent of a post-sex smoke to settle us down again, I suppose.

MoTe.jpg

McDonald vs Lineker is a hell of a fight. Should be wall-to-wall insanity given both guys' balls out fighting styles and aggression. You can't go wrong with this. Maybe the two most exciting bantamweights in the UFC.

Michael 'Mayday' McDonald is 25 years old with a 17-3 record. He fought Renan Barao for the interim bantamweight title in 2013 at just 22 years old and gave Barao a hard night's work before ultimately falling to an arm triangle in the fourth round. Aside from that he holds stoppage wins over Brad Pickett and Miguel Torres. And in his last fight at UFC 195 in January...

jz1Ju.jpg

He scored what, in my opinion, is the Submission Of The Year so far in 2016. He fought Masenori Kanehara that night and went from being locked in a pretty tight arm triangle to escaping, somehow taking Kanehara's back and tapping him out with a rear naked choke. The whole sequence must've been about ten seconds long and McDonald found a way to snatch victory from the shitty, sweaty arse of defeat. Remember Scott Smith's crazy comeback KO on Pete Sell? This was the grappling version of that finish.

m9oyF.jpg

John 'Hands Of Stone' Lineker is 26 years old with a 27-7 record. And he's named after two of the most feared strikers in sporting history - Roberto 'Hands Of Stone' Duran and Gary Lineker. What a fuck of a combo! I don't think John Lineker's ever had a boring fight and I don't expect this to be where he starts.

He's won his last four fights including scoring a TKO in one of the best two minute fights you'll ever see against Francisco Rivera at UFC 191 last September. He followed that up with a decision over Rob Font at UFC 198 in May in Brazil. And judging by the amount of times Lineker's missed weight in the past, I'm guessing this won't be the first battle he's had with a foe named McDonald.

I'm expecting some serious fireworks here. Don't want to jinx it but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it ended up in the FOTY discussion by the end of '16.

Ferguson vs Vannata co-headlines. Originally this was going to be Ferguson vs Michael Chiesa and was going to be the main event but Chiesa got hurt. Shame, I was really excited about that fight. I don't know who this Landon Vannata fellow is but I hope he twats Fergie all over the octagon. There's few MMA fighters I dislike more than Tony Ferguson. Great fighter to watch, total shitbag cretin. That about sums him up for me.

Boetsch vs Samman is a fight I love the sound of. Boetsch is a fighter I've always had a bit of a soft spot for for some reason. Ever since he chucked David Heath on his bonce way back in his UFC debut. There was also that amazing come from behind KO of Yushin Okami as well which had Rogan losing his shit like maybe I've never heard before or since and had the usually reserved Japanese crowd going berserk, despite their boy getting laid out by the Phil Mitchell looking gaijin. Boetsch is quality. But he badly needs a win here. He's lost his last three fights, and has lost six out of his last eight! Samman's a tough opponent as well and these two should match up just right for a bit of a wild scrap.

Omielanczuk vs Oliynyk doesn't mean much to me. Just looks like how the subtitles editor would spell if someone sneezed during Corrie or something.

Oliynyk is Russian/Ukrainian and has notable wins over Cro Cop Version 2013, Jared Rosholt and Jeff Monson. But at 39, I can't see him doing much in the UFC's heavyweight division, to be honest. Omielanczuk is Polish and has beaten no-one worth mentioning. He's lost to Jared Rosholt and Anthony Hamilton though.

Smolka vs Nguyen is ***WAND'S ONE TO WATCH*** on this show. Didn't even realise this was happening but it's a tremendous fight on paper that'll probably go overlooked with all the bigger fights coming up in the next week or two. Smolka is someone to keep an eye on at flyweight IMO. And his fight with Paddy Holohan in Dublin in October is probably the best flyweight fight that's happened yet. He's so much fun to watch. And Nguyen is a really good little striker with a nice mix of Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do. I think Smolka should win this one, especially if he goes the grappling route, but I can see it being an incredible fight while it lasts.

Not really that arsed about anything else but a couple of noteworthy bits...

• Sam Alvey is always worth tuning in for. Hopefully he'll get back to his one punch KOing fools ways here.

• And there's a few undefeated prospects coming in. Katlyn Chookagian is a Renzo Gracie student with a 7-0 record. Devin Clark is the RFA Light Heavyweight champion and has a 6-0 record. He was on Dana's 'Lookin' For A Fight' thing apparently. And Matthew Lopez was also an RFA fighter, 8-0 with 7 finishes, 5 in the first round.

Nothing earth shattering but not a terrible way to spend a Wednesday/Thursday.

McDonald vs. Lineker should be awesome, but I have to agree with Wand's One To Watch. Two aggressive flyweights in Smolka and Nguyen, who actively look to finish at all times, unlike many in the lighter divisions that use movement and pitter-patter striking to score points.

I particularly like Smolka, a couple of years back he won a fight with Sweet Chin Music!

• Paid Members

i dont actually know, he was one of those unfortunate fellows though that are only remembered for bad things that happened to them, poor fucker.

Another example would be Sean Salmon.

Archived