Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Awards Moderator

Energy drinks have had it coming for a couple of years. Typically they have 150 - 160mg of caffeine in, and 11 year olds are recommended no more than 105mg per day. Combine that with sugar, taurine and guarana and it was only a matter of time before it became a target. That stuff in a developing mind and body, with marketing implying you will feel better after drinking one leaves it wide open for legislation. 

Once you're an adult - fine, fill your boots.

You lot might've agreed with all that, except Jamie Oliver got involved (exception noted @PunkStep). 

As much as I dislike Slimy Oliver, he's right about this. If you're an adult and you're daft enough to pour this shite down your neck then go for it but youngsters that are still developing shouldn't be allowed them.

Edited by The Maestro
Onyx2 already filled his boots

• Paid Members

I'll counter that with some compelling evidence; Jamie Oliver is a massive cunt. To the extent that if he started an anti-smoking campaign, I would dedicate the rest of my life to ensuring that everyone starts smoking 80 a day just to see tears roll down the wobbly paunches that he calls cheeks.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Aye, but he could have said this years ago when the rest of us knew it was bad shit and that it was clearly having a massive impact on the behaviour and diets of kids. But the fuck wit kept hush because Waitrose sold it... now they have said they are going to stop selling it to under 16’s, the human spam fritter decides it’s time to pipe up. It’s not fucking news, it’s just time to promote none-sugary drinks.

@bigfoote is correct.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

A tale more intimate than I might usually share, but so fucking tragic I honestly couldn't keep it to myself.

The good lord wasn't overly generous when chucking appendages in this direction, but upon getting out of the bath this evening and catching a glimpse of my silhouette in the shower screen, I had to admit, for once, it were looking of rather impressive stature - must have been the warm water.

My joy was short-lived however, as it immediately became clear that what i'd actually clocked was a little excess towel draped over my back.

Rest assured, at no point had it deviated from it's usual resemblance to a fallen acorn amidst a thicket, so yeah... lovely little morale boost and simultaneous kick in the bollocks that was.

Thing with Oliver, if it had been Tesco or Asda announcing a ban, he would have taken every opportunity to twist it into an attack on them. He's always been particularly savvy with being the first to "speak up", and to take things on as his cause du jour as he did with Twizzlers/school dinners/NHS food (delete as appropriate). But as before, give it 6 months and he'll withdraw, much like Christmas Buble does, waiting for the next opportunity to strike.

I agree that energy drinks are not a good idea for anyone under 18, and the fact it's labelled as "not suitable for children" should be enforced; but EU regs as always fall short and are rather toothless.