Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

Here's something...

Everyone might already be well aware of this but, if not, I cannot recommend the Send To Kindle app highly enough. I've been killing my printer ink and paper printing off academic journal articles as I can't stand to read them on my PC or ipad screen. I decided I wanted to start converting the PDFs to .mobi and transfer them to my Kindle. I was doing that but the conversions were terrible.Ā 

Then I downloaded the Send to Kindle app from Amazon onto my PC. It's a super quick, easy way to send all types of documents over to your Kindle and they don't lose loads of formatting like they tend to if you convertĀ to .mobi.Ā 

Thought some may find that helpful. I know I have.Ā 

Edited by SpursRiot2012

Going back a bit, HSBC really are a shower of shite at the mo. For two successive months they've managed to fuck up a relatively straight forward Standing Order to my landlord. Last month it was paying some random amount completely emptying my bank account and this month was the wrong date and wrong amount, which they reversed and then said they couldnt redo it.Ā They assure me that they have sorted it, and that would be redone for Friday, but it's going to go through on Monday according to my online account. Douches!

Absolutely out of nowhere, I remembered that when I was about 7 or 8, you could buy scratchcard bus passes, where you would just scratch off your date and off you go.

Then I remembered that my best friends (who was by the way nicknamed Eggy as he was always hanging out with me, poor fucker) sister used to use it, then repaint the square with silver nail varnish and get a good months worth out of it.

Anyone else remember these at all? Why I remembered them I have no idea.

1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Yeah, I used to use those as a kid.Ā 

I also had a mate called Eggy, as did most.Ā 

Really? It's a popular nickname? I mean he didn't smell of eggs but it stuck with him as he was my best mate and obviously I have a 'hilarious'Ā surname...

• Paid Members

A lad at school carried a loose pickled egg around in his school bag for an entire term. He forgot to eat it one day, he found it in there during tutorial the next day and it just went on from there as aĀ challenge. To be fair it wasn't egg shaped by the end or anything, just crumbled and smeared over everything. His work books stank of vinegar, he became vinegar Jim.

• Paid Members

Vinegar Jim is a belter of a nickname.

Barman at my local one day greeted me, and a few others, with the challenge, "I bet you couldn't swallow a pickled egg whole". My response, quite reasonably I thought, was, "no, you're right, I probably couldn't". He kept on saying it to people, presumably hoping someone would take the challenge.

A mate walks in, I'm chatting to the barman, and he gets served by someone else. As I turn to greet him, I add, "mate, this guy reckons you couldn't swallow an egg". He responds, "fuck him, I'll swallow six eggs!".

A couple of weeks later, that guy moved up to Manchester, and my brother was helping him move in. I told my brother to, at some point, say to him, "do you know what, mate? I bet you couldn't swallow an egg". I kept it up for about a year and a half, getting people to challenge him to swallow an egg in different locations all over the country, as if there was just something about him that made people doubt his egg-swallowing prowess.

3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

A mate walks in, I'm chatting to the barman, and he gets served by someone else. As I turn to greet him, I add, "mate, this guy reckons you couldn't swallow an egg". He responds, "fuck him, I'll swallow six eggs!".

Ā 

left that on a Cliffhanger

Did he Successfully swallow Six Eggs or even one Egg?