Do WWE need some grizzled vets in the midcard?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

While "50/50 booking" seems to have replaced "PG" as the buzz phrase for describing WWE's problems - it certainly is a factor. They need to do something to break from the pattern of swapping wins so you can't really tell who's in what tier and whoever you decide to push has normally lost to a couple of people recently.

One solution may be to bring back squash matches, which I wouldn't be against in small doses, but that's a bit archaic. Especially when Raw's struggling to keep people's attention.

I always thought WCW had it right around 1998 when they'd send out guys like Meng and the Barbarian to have reasonable 6-8 minute matches with the bigger stars. They'd always give you a decent TV match, they were never harmed by a defeat (though Meng was fairly well protected) and they maintained a level of credibility which was in part due to WCW's announcers putting them over well but also because they'd been around a long time and that made it easy to speak about them and their toughness.

I think a few guys in the midcard who get wins over the dross like Social Outcasts, Ryder, etc, have occassional programs with midcarders 4 life like Del Rio and Ziggler but then put over guys on the way up like Ambrose, Zayn, Owens and Styles would really help at the moment. They wouldn't need to be super-protected but used sparingly so that they don't burn out their value in a few months or even weeks.

Masters, Carlito and Benjamin come to mind immediately.

I was thinking about this the other day. I'd welcome them using some of the NXT jobbers or some local wrestlers for the mid-card guys to occasionally demolish on TV, if only to keep the regular guys apart to build to bigger things at PPVs without them already having wrestled 14 times already on Raw.

• Paid Members

Have the Dudleys split (again) and bring back Bully Ray I say.

First person I thought of off when I read the thread title. He's a prime candidate for grizzled vet. We need to see the best calves in the business.

Yeah, I think its a great idea.  

If you look at something like say, the Corporation.   You had lads like the Bossman, Test, Shamrock, guys who didn't really lose anything by being fed to Austin on a Raw.   Meanwhile, the Rock didn't need to get into it with Austin that much.  

That was always the Authority's problem.   Rollins, fine.   Geography Teacher Kane isn't a credible threat, nor is the Big Show who is supposed to be big and nasty, but depicted as crying like a baby at one point.   J and J were literally acknowledged on screen as the Patterson and Brisco for the 2010s.  

Love the idea, but for example R-Truth could be in a role like this but I don't trust them to not just stack losses on people they have no immediate plans for / not invested in 'protecting'

• Paid Members

Masters, Carlito and Benjamin come to mind immediately.

Basically. MVP if he wasn't a tosser. Drew when TNA eats itself.

WWE also have this rather annoying phrase they like to bust out on the reg, along the lines of "if you don't think you can be WWE champion one day, then you shouldn't be here"

which is something I'd like someone to tell D-Von Dudley, for example

They've been having jobbers since Mania to be fair. 

Fandango, Social Outcasts, Tyler Breeze. I'm sure I'm missing two or three more which would make 8 jobbers. 

You could probably throw Stardust and Sandow in with them.

They've been having jobbers since Mania to be fair.

Fandango, Social Outcasts, Tyler Breeze. I'm sure I'm missing two or three more which would make 8 jobbers.

You could probably throw Stardust and Sandow in with them.

Sandow definitely. He even got the "Already in the ring...DAMIEN SANDOW!" jobber intro this week on Raw.

Archived