Do WWE need some grizzled vets in the midcard?

tiger_rick

• Moderators

Dustin Rhodes is still there. I think he sums up what Rick is asking for in the first post to a T. Over, losses won't hurt him, can go awhile with giorious superworker aplomb, and people can learn from him by working with him.

• Paid Members

Local enhancement talent was always a great idea, those overlooked bump machines would always go out of their way to make the other guys look like stars, but now and again there'd be a guy like The Kid who'd pull a result out of nowhere or suddenly end up putting on a clinic. The first time I saw Regal wrestle he'd been given the "currently in the ring" treatment against a then NWA World Champion Barry Windham on an episode of Worldwide in '93 and they went about 20 minutes with Regal coming close to winning on several occasions, conversely at the opposite end of his North American run there was that match he had with Cesaro on NXT the other Christmas which furthers the grizzled vet thing. Val Venis would have been a dead cert for that kind of role, and I can't help but think that was what Cena was doing with his US Title Open Challenge before his injury. It'd certainly help keep the big names separated for the PPVs to mean more, otherwise we'd end up in that situation like it used to be on TNA where the guys would go 2-5 minutes between talking segments on iMPACT before suddenly finding the means and drive to go 20-30 minutes on PPV. It can ruin the suspension of disbelief.

• Paid Members

Dustin Rhodes is still there. I think he sums up what Rick is asking for in the first post to a T. Over, losses won't hurt him, can go awhile with giorious superworker aplomb, and people can learn from him by working with him.

That's a great shout. And, you know, it says plenty about that they're currently doing with him that he's on TV every week and didn't even cross my mind. But yeah, he's precisely what I was talking about. He has enough credit in the bank that he can loose a hard fought match in 8 mins one week and come back and have a meaningful match the next. But occassionally, he needs to be beating shite like Axel and Stardust to establish that he's not a jobber.

• Paid Members

Not much chance he'll be beating Stardust as a throwaway though - they'll always have to make it a story thing, I think.

Wwe needs more Tito Santana's and Greg Valentines (equivalent obviously). Great workers who it doesnt matter how many times they lose it doesn't hurt them one bit and looks good for the winner.

I remember Valentine getting the first real offence on Taker in 91 and clamping the figure 4 in. Of course Taker rebounded however it made him look a monster in how he battered Greg but Greg in getting some moves in wasn't totally jobbed out.

The more I think about it. I loved 'the hammer'back then and for no apparent reason (generic look, not a promo guy etc) .

Same with Santana. Loved the guy. First 2x IC champ in WW. Says it all!

Loved Tito at SS 1990! Had such sympathy in that match with Slaughter and didn't look out of place next to Hogan and Warrior (loved how he stunned Warlord straight off to) at the end.

• Paid Members

Nah - still disagree. Failing to take into account the big barrel belly and no kneepads. Nobody else looked like that at the time - you could easily pick him out of a caricature or figurines or video game roster line-up.

• Paid Members

Would've mentioned it, as it's one of my favourite storylines ever, but he didn't always have it. But yeah, you're right - the fuggin' Heartbreaker.

Give RVD another run to help establish somebody. He and Kalisto in a ladder match would be fun to watch.

Once Billy Gunn gets back in their good books, throw out the Outlaws against Enzo and Cass. See which intro gets the biggest reaction from the crowd.

Randy Orton upon return could certainly do a job putting others over in the midcard. 

Archived