McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Hasn't the story already been written though? The bus incident was a more effective promotional tool than any soundbite or quote. All the UFC really needs to do is remind the audience that it happened and sprinkle in the usual fight-week hoopla to get everyone buzzing. Mayweather and Manny's fight had very little hype to it because all involved felt that the story wrote itself. 

I am not saying that David is necessarily wrong. The UFC might indeed have Conor over a barrel. However, I don't think there is much hype needed. It will be quite easy for the UFC to jog fan's memories during fight week. 

The story has been told but people have short memories and all that shit went down in April. You can jog the memory with a few promos but you want something new in there otherwise it's like watching UK GOLD re-runs. Like, you can cook a steak just how you like it but if you add the right seasoning at the end you've made it damn near perfect.  I just don't think the same old clips of McGregor throwing a strop at a bus, which everyone's already seen countless times, is going to result in this massive hype filled blockbuster where people were genuinely expecting this to be the biggest fight in UFC history. It'll be big regardless but without those big fight week moments and talking points, it loses something. I still remember how odd that Nunes vs Rousey fight week felt. There just seemed like there was very little to talk about because we didn't even see Ronda bar the 15 seconds she was stood on the scale. Less isn't always more. Especially when it comes to fight hype. You need all that hoopla in the days before the fight. I mean, we'll get the weigh in but if we don't get one McGregor vs Khabib press conference then I'll consider this buildup a bit of a failure and however good the show does, it won't be as good as it could've been IMO. It'll be a massive shame if all McGregor does on fight week is weigh in on Friday and get spanked on Saturday. Like every other Khabib opponent. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I get the point about people having short memories and am inclined to agree. But it will be very easy for the UFC to reheat the incident and rivalry during fight week. We live in a small world. All it will take is an animated press conference, some slick promo packages, or a heated weigh-in and people will be chomping at the bit again. Those sort of things travel very quickly nowadays with the interwebs, SKY Sports News, etc. Now, if Conor does just weigh-in on Friday, get spanked on Saturday and is generally subdued throughout fight week, I will concede the point, However, I suspect the weigh-in and press conference (if it happens) will be mini-events in themselves and hit the mark. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Hasn't the story already been written though? The bus incident was a more effective promotional tool than any soundbite or quote. All the UFC really needs to do is remind the audience that it happened and sprinkle in the usual fight-week hoopla to get everyone buzzing. Mayweather and Manny's fight had very little hype to it because all involved felt that the story wrote itself. 

I am not saying that David is necessarily wrong. The UFC might indeed have Conor over a barrel. However, I don't think there is much hype needed. It will be quite easy for the UFC to jog fan's memories during fight week. 

Perhaps, but theres so much more potential for this i just think its a shame that we aren't seeing a bit more.

• Paid Members

The press conference is key. A heated weigh in face off is always fun but the presser is where you get a better read on where both guys' heads are at and perhaps who's winning the mental warfare and all that carry on. Plus shit talking. Plus the first proper face off. As long as they do one good presser on fight week I think there'll be enough to work with and between that, the weigh in, Countdown, Embedded etc, I'm sure we'll get our fill. 

Keep forgetting that there's still over 3 weeks until the fight. There's plenty of time to get the juices flowing. I get the feeling that even if Conor doesn't want to do much media, once he's around the cameras and, more importantly, around Khabib, his ego will get the better of him and he won't be able to stop himself talking shite. 

• Paid Members

I like it. 

Conor is the greatest thing to happen to MMA but even he must know to rein it in. There was fatigue from the fans at the tail end off the Mayweather fight hype. Since the Silver fight til then, the guy was a hot streak off pissing gold. Hopefully he picks his shots leading up to fight week.

He signed the contract not long after he was sentenced in Brooklyn, he wasn't signing anything or saying anything before that. Then you have UFC fighters suing him, his lawyer will have told him not to reply to that stuff. I'm guessing the hype for the casuals starts after Triple G Vs Canelo with casuals who might buy this, that's when the press conferences & that stuff happens and non MMA sports media might discussing the fight.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Perhaps, but theres so much more potential for this i just think its a shame that we aren't seeing a bit more.

I agree 100%.

Imagine if they sent the cameras out to film Khabib training like a maniac in the hills of Dagestan? The casual fan probably won't really understand just how fucking scary this guy is. The company could be doing more to build him up, showing the fans exactly the kind of task McG has in front of him. Chuck in some footage from newsreels of what happens in that part of the country, how dangerous it is, show Khabib wrestling a bear, all that shit.

And if Conor isn't wanting to come to the States for promo work, why not send cameras out there? Paint it all as redemption, highlight the Artem situation that led to the bus incident, show Conor as a man who stands by his friends and all that jazz. If he's playing the silent, mysterious type then fine, just show footage of him training and sitting about looking pensive, and throw in some short words from Kavanagh and Roddy talking about how this is a Conor they've never seen before, he's amped, he's focused, he's cracking raw eggs into a glass at 5am and running around the streets of Dublin in a manky grey tracksuit, whatever.

The above may not sound great, but by fuck it would be better than what we're getting just now!

I honestly can't believe that we're gonna end up with a standard 48 minute show with Clay from SOA voicing over the usual pedestrian shite we get, while the YouTube channel shows some stuff in 9 minute clips.

I have a strong feeling that the fight itself will be quite one-sided, so the build is where it's at for me, and so far it's been more boring than a Q&A with Michael Owen.

• Paid Members

Never forget how terrible GSP v Bisping was promoted. We don't talk about it much now because it did an good number (not amazing) and we were all super impressed with Super GSP, but I remember even the week of the fight everyone seemed a little miffed that the UFC weren't pushing it more.

I'm confident Conor will make this must-see for everyone with a bit of interest in MMA, but the UFC definitely need to do more.

• Paid Members

Oh, I agree. My point is along the same lines of what Keith was on about, in that the UFC really need to be doing more for this. They didn't for GSP v Bisping and it really dampened the anticipation. I just hope they don't settle with "well it will sell anyway" like they seemed to do with GSP v Bisping.

I think the company are missing a trick by not promoting Khabib more. There's a very good chance that he's going to win this fight, maybe even looking incredibly dominant to the point where casuals are like "Holy fuck! Who is this guy?!?"

They should be doing more to promote this unstoppable Russian machine, because if McG loses and buggers off for another year or so, Khabib is going to be the man they're promoting in future.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

I think the company are missing a trick by not promoting Khabib more. There's a very good chance that he's going to win this fight, maybe even looking incredibly dominant to the point where casuals are like "Holy fuck! Who is this guy?!?"

They should be doing more to promote this unstoppable Russian machine, because if McG loses and buggers off for another year or so, Khabib is going to be the man they're promoting in future.

Which is pretty much the argument I was making about the UFC's promotion of Nunes. Given how Rousey had lost to Holm, there was a much higher chance than before that Nunes would beat her convincingly. Whilst she's not unstoppable, she's a bit of a killer. And she was champion at the time.

Edited by Carbomb