The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread *MMA Edition*

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

March 2011. The moment Jon Jones was announced as the new #1 contender for the light heavyweight title. He'd just beaten Ryan Bader and Joe Rogan sprung the news on him post-fight that Rashad Evans was injured and the UFC wanted to put Jones in his place to challenge for Shogun's title....

XLqU.jpg

Always thought that picture was badass. It should've been the event poster. Just that with the event name at the top and date and venue at the bottom.

• Paid Members

Unfortunately, he didn't. But we weren't to know at the time. Shogun was coming of solving the Machida riddle and Jones' best win at that point, although he'd looked great so far, was Bader. I remember most favouring Jones but he was still unproven at the top level until he stepped in with Shogun. The only question I really had on Jones then was how he'd handle facing a legit top light heavyweight with his relative inexperience.

He answered that when he swaggered across the cage and casually hit Shogun with a flying knee as soon as the fight started. And that just set the tempo for what was to come for Shogun. Just a miserable night. Seeing Shogun tapping to strikes was shit.

So if there's any doubt as to who the fucking man is - top 5 articles on MMA Fighting right now, along with number of comments:

mma%2001.jpg

Compared with the next 5 articles:

mma%2002.jpg

Haha, that's great to see. As a McGregor fan, I cop a bit of flack on social media sometimes- this has been my Facebook cover picture for about a year and a half now:

10933750_10152679528087677_6543482538908

But people on MMA/UFC pages will point to that as me being a bandwagoner/casual fan, because he's the new big thing. Fuck that, McGregor's just great, and I've been watching for years. Today's one was "so how many weeks you been watching?" My answer was, "Well, since 2002, so that's around 696 weeks." (Started with UFC 40, for those playing at home).

I can admit it here because it's a safe space, but it was pro wrestling connections that got me into MMA. I was pissed with my uncle for ordering UFC 40 and not Survivor Series on the same week, but when I found out former WWF star Ken Shamrock was fighting, I was interested enough to watch. Admittedly, I liked the show, but seeing Shamrock get mauled was a bit depressing, so I resumed WWE watching. Then I came back to UFC when Brock arrived, and this time I was older and grew to appreciate the rest, even when Brock started getting smashed. Now, here we are, with Conor pulling his WWE style antics and becoming the biggest star in the game :D

• Paid Members

Unfortunately, he didn't. But we weren't to know at the time. Shogun was coming of solving the Machida riddle and Jones' best win at that point, although he'd looked great so far, was Bader. I remember most favouring Jones but he was still unproven at the top level until he stepped in with Shogun. The only question I really had on Jones then was how he'd handle facing a legit top light heavyweight with his relative inexperience.

He answered that when he swaggered across the cage and casually hit Shogun with a flying knee as soon as the fight started. And that just set the tempo for what was to come for Shogun. Just a miserable night. Seeing Shogun tapping to strikes was shit.

I'd like to go back and see how i felt going in, cause in my mind now i remember it feeling like a foregone conclusion that Jones was gonna destroy him.

• Paid Members

Oh I definitely think people were heavily favouring Jones to win. But the thing that was nagging me going in was that everyone had also counted Shogun out against the 'unbeatable' Machida not too long before and look how that turned out. I don't think even the people predicting a Jones win would've called it to be as one-sided and brutal as it was at the time. It was one thing seeing him crush Vera and Vlad on the way up, but when he started doing it to Shogun, Rampage, Machida etc it became ridiculous.