UFC 200: Cormier vs Silva | Lesnar vs Hunt

seanz25

Who wins & how?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

How come everyone's for instant rematches all of a sudden? Holm lost her belt at the first attempt of defending it. Was she really that deserving of an instant rematch?

The problem is Nunes hasn't earned that shot at all. She's beaten no one. Only Zingano has beaten anyone of note in that top 4/5 of the women's division who isn't Rousey, Tate or Holm.

Nunes is 5-1 in the UFC (with 4 finishes).

Holm was 2-0 in the UFC with wins over Pennington and Marion Reneau before the Rousey fight (one a split decision, the other a highly panned performance).

How was Holm ever a more credible challenger than Nunes is?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That's a different debate altogether Egg Shen. I agree, at the time Holm wasn't deserving of a shot at Rousey. She had scraped by her first opponent and in her second fight whilst she looked comfortable it was unspectacular. 

However, that was then, this is now. This is choosing who's more deserving at this moment in time. Back when Holm got her shot, Rousey was calling the shots, and outside of Tate who had already been comfortably beaten by Rousey twice, there was no one who stood out.

Nunes hasn't beaten anyone in the top 5 of the division as of yet, and her biggest scalp is a badly fading Sara Mcmann. 

Ironically I actually believe Nunes will beat Tate, but again, that's a different debate.  

• Paid Members

Yeh i get that, and i wouldnt complain if they actually did Tate/Holm 2. I just dont get the backlash. The money in the division is Rousey fight, even though Meisha's the champion, that's the fight she had to be aiming for, and she's likely trying to carve the easiest path for herself to it.

• Paid Members

Holm wasn't smart in choosing Tate as her first challenger.

To be fair, I don't think Holm chose Tate. Holm just didn't want to sit out a year and wait for Rousey. I'm guessing Holm just told the UFC to line up her next challenger, and they went with Tate.

It was a ballsy move by Holm and, while it wasn't smart in hindsight business-wise, I think it's admirable that she was willing and confident enough in herself to take on another tough challenger rather than wait to rematch a woman she'd already dismantled. I'd have completely understood if she'd sat out for the Rousey rematch, of course, but I think she should actually be commended for taking the Miesha fight not criticised. She gambled and lost. Shit happens. If she'd beat Tate, and she was on the way to doing that before the fifth, the Rousey rematch would've been on and Holm would've had even more momentum going in. Just didn't work out for her.

As for Tate vs Nunes, it's a weird situation but I love the actual fight. Nunes isn't a world beater but you'll have to weather a fuck of a storm if you're going to beat her. She's kind of like a female Rumble in that way, minus the one shot power. The beatdown she put on Cat Zingano was relentless and would've seen off most women. If not for Zingano's toughness and heart, that fight could've been over a few times in the first round. Tate also has that kind of toughness and grit so I think we're in for a hell of a fight here. Either Nunes is going to batter her and win, or Nunes is going to batter her then Tate's going to pull another comeback out of her lovely arse.

How come everyone's for instant rematches all of a sudden? Holm lost her belt at the first attempt of defending it. Was she really that deserving of an instant rematch?

The idea of the fight being a rematch isn't here nor there for most people I think. If there was another credible challenger waiting in the wings then I'm sure most people would be of the opinion that the rematch makes most sense financially, but that the credible challenger deserves a shot.

That's not really the case though, is it? Nunes isn't someone I'd heard mentioned as ready for a title shot at all lately. After another few wins? Possibly.

• Paid Members

Nunes was someone I thought deserved a crack when Rousey was champion. But that was more because Rousey was running out of challengers than Nunes really having shown she'd earned a shot. Once Rousey lost the title, Nunes slipped down the list for me. And the Tate/Holm/Rousey triangle is where it's at.

Still though, it's a great fight. Taking the title out of it, whether Nunes has earned a title shot or not, I do think she's ready for a fight with Tate. She's ready for that test, IMO. In fact, Tate vs Nunes was rumoured for the UFC 194 card in December at one point and I'm sure a lot of people were predicting a Nunes victory. I think she matches up better style-wise with Tate than she does with Holm or Rousey, so this is her best chance of winning UFC gold. Doubt she'll keep it long if she does win the title, but I could see her leaving with the belt in July. It's about a 50/50 to me. All depends if Tate's tough enough to absorb what Nunes can dish out, and then have enough to come back with something significant.

• Paid Members

Purely as sporting storyline, you've got this perfect triangle with Tate having upset Holm, Holm having (to the masses at least) massively upset Rousey, and Rousey having previously destroyed Tate in grudge matches. That gives you three possible rematches with intrigue and the chance for revenge. Chucking Nunes in before going to any of those matches waters it all down.

Not necessarily, if Nunes comes in and beats Tate you could say the UFC has its own female version of the Fabulous Four. If Tate wins we're back where we started.

Except you don't.  What makes Tate Vs Rousey appealing this time is that Tate is the champion.  If Nunes beats her, then you have fucked 2 big pay days because Tate will be out of the picture and Nunes won't draw shit against Holm like Tate would have.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived