UFC 200: Cormier vs Silva | Lesnar vs Hunt

seanz25

Who wins & how?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That women's fight could literally be pissing away millions and millions of dollars. I wish they'd make up their mind if they're a business or a sport.

I agree with the perspective about pissing away money, but them having to be either a business or a sport is ridiculous. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Nunes simply doesn't deserve the title shot. She hasn't beaten anyone. It satisfies neither the business or sporting element which is why i hate the fight (despite me believing Nunes wins). 

• Paid Members

That women's fight could literally be pissing away millions and millions of dollars. I wish they'd make up their mind if they're a business or a sport.

Agreed - they had 3 big money fights they could have made, all of which build to another big fight:

Tate vs Holm II, winner fights Rousey.

Rousey vs Tate III, winner fights Holm.

Rousey vs Holm II, with winner fighting Tate.

And they chose none of them. I don't care about timelines or availability - they should have just waited for the 1st one of these they could do.

Agreed - they had 3 big money fights they could have made, all of which build to another big fight:

Tate vs Holm II, winner fights Rousey.

Rousey vs Tate III, winner fights Holm.

Rousey vs Holm II, with winner fighting Tate.

And they chose none of them. I don't care about timelines or availability - they should have just waited for the 1st one of these they could do.

With those fights you could also make a case that they cover both aspects of the business.  No one would deny Holm re-match and you could say the same about Rousey too!

Having done a bit of reading it appears that the UFC have actually went with this fight rather than the rematch. Tate said this after the fight was announced;

“I love (the matchup),” Tate said while serving as co-host on “UFC Tonight.” “I think she’s really tough. She’s on a four-fight winning streak, she’s got a lot of momentum, and she’s really dangerous. I asked to fight the next best person in line, and that’s what they told me.

After her win over Holm, White said Tate was likely to fight Rousey later this year in a trilogy grudge match. But with Tate not excited about waiting till a November time frame for Rousey’s schedule to clear, she gets Nunes, instead.

I'm starting to wonder if this shit between Dana and Holm's manager is actually a factor in this decision. I wanted to rubbish it earlier, but I'm seeing less & less legit reasons why they wouldn't go with the rematch and the winner to face Rousey four months later if possible.

• Paid Members

Its possible that Meisha had a say in it and doesn't want no part of Holly again. She won the fight but before we secured the choke she was well on her way to losing a decision.

• Paid Members

Having done a bit of reading it appears that the UFC have actually went with this fight rather than the rematch. Tate said this after the fight was announced;

“I love (the matchup),” Tate said while serving as co-host on “UFC Tonight.” “I think she’s really tough. She’s on a four-fight winning streak, she’s got a lot of momentum, and she’s really dangerous. I asked to fight the next best person in line, and that’s what they told me.

After her win over Holm, White said Tate was likely to fight Rousey later this year in a trilogy grudge match. But with Tate not excited about waiting till a November time frame for Rousey’s schedule to clear, she gets Nunes, instead.

I'm starting to wonder if this shit between Dana and Holm's manager is actually a factor in this decision. I wanted to rubbish it earlier, but I'm seeing less & less legit reasons why they wouldn't go with the rematch and the winner to face Rousey four months later if possible.

Is it potentially to avoid running the exact same top two matches as UFC 196?

• Paid Members

Is it potentially to avoid running the exact same top two matches as UFC 196?

I think that's it TBH. Top 2 matches on UFC 200 would be the same as UFC 196 - show would still do well, but it's probably a comparison they want to avoid,

I think that's it TBH. Top 2 matches on UFC 200 would be the same as UFC 196 - show would still do well, but it's probably a comparison they want to avoid,

If that was the case they'd be as well not putting Tate on the card at all. The risk of her losing to Nunes and blowing the match ups mentioned far outweigh any positive of having her on the PPV. I doubt she's going to shift much by way of buys.

Hmmmmm

That's a bit of a curve ball. I'm happy to have another title defence on the card, but is it the correct one? Tate is a massive star. Given the status of women's MMA, she's probably in the top 10-15 of the UFC's biggest stars. However, what's the draw with the Nunes fight? What's the story? Herbie and Lamby make some solid points as well. 

Still, on paper, the card has shaped up nicely. It's easily one of the most star-studded cards in UFC history. If by some miracle, Lawler vs GSP is announced or to a lesser extent Lawler vs Condit 2, it will probably be the most star-studded card in UFC history.

Contrast of the two main cards then: *198 will have one more bout than 200 most liekly as Brazil allows more fights on a show than the US plus 200 features title bouts.

Fabricio Werdum vs. Stipe Miocic                -            Diaz vs McGregor
Vitor Belfort vs. Ronaldo Souza                   -            Aldo - Edgar

Matt Brown vs. Demian Maia                       -            Tate vs Nunes
Corey Anderson vs. Mauricio Rua               -            
Velasquez vs.  Browne
Uriah Hall vs. Anderson Silva                       -            Punk vs Mickey Gall? 
Cris Cyborg vs. Leslie Smith

I still think that without a big fight underneath Diaz/Conor it doesn't overpower 198 in strength of card.
​Punk being added would be a big one for me though - I'm really intrigued to see him fight.

Archived