WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

I just got around to borrowing and finishing Halo 4 this weekend which is pretty indicative of how important the series seems to rate nowadays. Halo was the best thing ever in the run up to Halo 2 and 3 but it seems to have suffered from that "here's the next episode" syndrome far worse than the more prevalent Call Of Duty has. It's like only Microsoft consider a new Halo launch an event of great importance anymore.

Nonetheless I thought it was pretty good fun. Maybe moreso than I would have had I bought it on day one. The biggest difference to the structure of the game seems to be that the souped up graphics pushed the 360's hardware capabilities to the point where those big, sprawling open areas are mostly done away with in favor of lots and lots of silver corridors which makes it feel a lot like Combat Evolved.

It's lazy level design but it's kind of what I expect from Halo in the same way that Doom was full of these ridiculously labyrinthine levels towards the later episodes. The guns feel great to shoot and the new enemies - whatever they're called, those gold things - make a welcome change from fighting the Covenant. The story is convoluted to the point where I had no idea what was going on though. And I'm someone who wasted his time on the novelisations of the series as a teenager. All I can say for sure is that the words 'reclaimer' and 'composer' are used throughout. It's also really short and kinda ends suddenly.

What the game actually gets you to do in order to advance the plot is also more transparent than it ever was. Literally every single mission breaks down into a sequence of pushing three to four buttons in three to four copycat structures in order to activate something and move on.

A while ago, I placed a rule on myself to not buy any new games until I went through a good portion of my unplayed collection. Having PS Plus gave me way too many free games/distractions. So I've recently got around to playing Fallout 3, despite owning it for the past 18 months or so. It was a lot of work, as I generally sucked at anything involving shooters, but I've finally got my skills to a respectable level. I love the humour in it, it's dark, twisted and sarcastic- in other words, brilliant. My only criticism is that it takes a long time to travel across the wastelands to new vaults/areas, and not nearly enough enemies to keep it interesting. Once you get to those areas, though, the gameplay/story is a blast.

I'm dividing my time between Fallout 3 and GTA V, so it'll take a while to finish the former. I also have Fallout: New Vegas, still in the freaking plastic from when I bought it at the same time as Fallout 3, but I think my focus will shift to the Assassin's Creed games, I definitely need to catch up in the series. I finished ACII a few months ago and got a start on Brotherhood shortly after. It's been a hectic year, uni and teaching is interfering with my (relatively new) gaming life. :(

Anyone else suffering from 'career mode glitch which EA could care less about and as such won't fix the problem because they're wanking over Ultimate Team too much to care, as per the fucking usual' in Fifa 14?

I can't even play it anymore, unless I have some mates round. So fucking pissed off with it.

I heard a while back that 2K Sports were possibly making a footy game. Was that true? The area needs some fresh legs.

Edited by Steve Justice

• Paid Members

For those that have played through Arkham Origins, I've completed the main story and everyone of the side villians that are unlocked except for Nigma. The the thing is there are two side villians still locked. Do I unlock them after Nigma or are they DLC? (internet is down so its the basic game with no DLC). Have I missed something?

Anyone else suffering from 'career mode glitch which EA could care less about and as such won't fix the problem because they're wanking over Ultimate Team too much to care, as per the fucking usual' in Fifa 14?

I can't even play it anymore, unless I have some mates round. So fucking pissed off with it.

I heard a while back that 2K Sports were possibly making a footy game. Was that true? The area needs some fresh legs.

Career mode glitch?

I've still only played a small part of the first season. Seems Ok but my times taken up by GTA still. I couldn't give a Fuck about Ultimate Team.

Bought a Sega Saturn yesterday and I've already took it back and straight-swapped it for a PS2. What a shit console.

The Saturn was perfect if you wanted great looking, smooth 2D games, neither the n64 or PS1 could come anywhere near it if you're a beat/shoot 'em up fan. But yeah, it was dire for almost anything else bar some great exclusives like Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Bought a Sega Saturn yesterday and I've already took it back and straight-swapped it for a PS2. What a shit console.

I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago, but haven't started collecting games for it. Oddly out of all the old consoles the PS2 is one of the few I don't have despite being the cheapest and most common at the moment.

Bit shite that there is no Dead Rising 3 on the 360 :-(

I cant wait for it, got it arriving with my xbox one on Friday (unless the postal service lets me down!), between that and Forza it made the choice over PS4 pretty simple. It looks great, and previews seem positive. IGN are starting their xbox one reviews from Monday so we'll see what the verdict is.