WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

Does anyone else suffer with motion sickness when playing certain games? It all started with Goldeneye on the N64 then with Turok and Doom. I pretty much avoid any first person view games but for some reason the driving on GTA V knocks me sick.

Edited by Mr_Danger

The Last of Us is an amazing game- however if you're not quite ready to shell out for a PS4, it's also out on the PS3. I'm not even a big fan of the whole zombie apocalypse genre, but I was enthralled by the game.

I bought Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor yesterday, and played for an hour or so. Simply stunning graphics, controls which are easily picked up, but the difficulty level is fairly challenging right from the start. Being at the beginning of the game doesn't exclude you from running into giant monsters which can crush you with a single blow. Most enemies are wonderfully individual, with great expression and voice acting. It's pretty standard RPG fare so far in terms of building up weapons/magic/perks, but the attention to detail so far is something to behold.

• Paid Members

Really enjoying Destiny. The only thing I'm not enjoying is running between different objectives within the patrol missions - it's very irritating to have one objective one side of the map, and then the second one fucking miles away. 

I think I've got about three more story missions to complete - I've not done what I was meant to in that I've been doing it all on my lonesome, rather than teaming up, meaning I haven't managed to do any strikes yet. 

The new one, Alien Isolation.  It was score and sound effects.  I did the motion tracker   :)

Saw this referenced before. Very cool. I'm curious...

1) Did you "only"  do work on the motion tracker? Did you work towards anything else in the game?

2) How long would you spend on that one aspect? How complicated a process was it? 

I'm sure there will be follow up Q's, but I'll just with that.

I probably shouldn't talk about my job on a public forum (in the past I've not even mentioned what games I work on), but to answer your qns:

1) no, I was actually the lead audio designer on this game.  This means I was in charge of the whole audio team and all audio content; the video game equivalent of a Sound Supervisor in film.  I hired and worked with the composers, did casting and worked with the actors, and was the creative lead on all aspects of sound design.  I was also the technical designer, meaning I created most of the systems to play back music, sound and dialogue (I didn't do the programming though!)

2)  I was working on the game for over 2 years, and you tend to revisit important aspects like the motion tracker time and time again until release.  The basic design I did in about a week, but then added more and more bits over time.  It's actually not the same sound as any of the motion trackers in any of the films, as none of them had "proper" designs, i.e they weren't meant to actually be a real piece of kit, just a cool sound.  But I've managed to nail the Alien vibe clearly, as nobody's complained!

It's a massively team effort though so pretty much all my team had a hand in all areas.  It's a very collaborative job, which is why I like it.

• Paid Members

Nice work, Loki. The sound design's brilliant. Everything from the score to hearing the bastard thing scurrying through the vents inspires fear in me. The motion tracker beeping through the speaker on the PS4 controller is the first time I've seen that feature used without feeling like a tacked on novelty, so immersive.

I've just finished up to the medical bay part. Love nearly (the first human encounter at Seegson was shit) everything so far. The world is really faithful to the first film. The Alien itself is probably the scariest enemy ever encountered in a game, you never feel safe. I think it's the only game I've ever had to turn off and take a break from to calm down a bit. Taking a safe route through a vent, only to hear it come in the other end and meet me head-on was to blame!

Best thing to come out of the franchise since Aliens. Hope y'all get to do a sequel.

Nah, that's not me.  I've already moved onto a different project/company, so I'm not doing any press for Sega any more.  I doubt there'll be a sequel, not with the same team anyway.

• Paid Members

Been playing a few games on the PS4 the last few days:

The Last of Us: Remastered.

Not a fan of this. Really wish I was after the praise it got and how beautiful the game itself is, but I just can't click (excuse the pun) with it.
I had no idea the game is predominantly stealth sections, and I'm not a fan of how it handles for a stealth-based game. Everyone I talk to retorts "it doesn't have to be stealth if you don't want to...but that just makes the game much harder", which for me means, "it does have to be stealth, or you're not doing it right, fuck you".
It's easily the best looking game I've seen on next-gen, but a combination of me not being a fan of Naughty Dog games since the first Jak and Daxter, it not being the type of game I expected it to be, and clunky controls for the type of game it is, has lead to me growing tired of it a few hours in.

Rogue Legacy.

It's Castlevania SOTN mixed with Spelunky and it's fantastic. Very difficult (but it's meant to be) randomly generated castles filled with enemies, treasure and four bosses that each hold a lock over the big door at the start. You send a character in and collect as much gold as possible from killing things and breaking objects and when they inevitably get battered, you send one of their kids in to take their place.
All of the kids though have genetic traits and skills you pass down through generation that effect how the character behaves, how the game behaves and how good/shit you can be. At one point I was a Gay, Bald, Dwarf Knight. Another time I was a Dyslexic Shinobi.
A few RPG/base building sim elements let you improve your chances as you skip from character to character. Top stuff.

Transistor.

Best PS4 game I've played, hands down. It's gorgeous to look at, has style blowing out of every pore, and is an excellent game to play. It's from the creators of Bastion so has a very similar look to that, but improved both in graphics and game play. You play as Red, a singer who's voice is stolen by some group of villains when they try (and fail) to assassinate you. You find the sword they leave behind that can absorb the souls (or the equivalent) of the dead and each soul grants the sword a power. You wield it as you track them down, it's very Kill Bill.
It's hard to describe really what it is, so here's a trailer which doesn't explain much either but shows how stunning the game is - http://youtu.be/azzV22rllQ4

The Evil Within.

It's Resident Evil 4. That's pretty much it.
Made by the same bloke, has the same style, same enemies, at points looks like a PS2 game, it's Resident Evil 4.
That speaking, Resident Evil 4 was a good game, and if you can look past the one-trick-pony, 10 year old game that the bloke has churned out here, it's actually quite good. Just feels aged.

Played Shadow of Mordor and Drive Club too, but I think they've been touched on already.