UFC 197: Jones vs OSP

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a note, I thought DC was superb on commentary.

Haha, I forgot to mention, how baffled Rogan and Goldy were when DC started dropping in that pro wrestling terminology. Cormier talking about the "rub" OSP would get from facing Jon Jones and they were like "what the fuck?"

To be fair, Cormier did an excellent job of explaining the concept, and he's absolutely right, of course- Nate Diaz being the clearest example I can think of. Doesn't stop the term from sounding pretty homoerotic though, especially when one of them- maybe Goldy- said, "embrace the rub".

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They knew what he meant, as he'd said it on the Fight Pass part of the card.  They asked him to repeat it for those who may not have known what he meant as they might not have heard the description on Fight Pass.

They knew what he meant, as he'd said it on the Fight Pass part of the card.  They asked him to repeat it for those who may not have known what he meant as they might not have heard the description on Fight Pass.

Yeah I know, it was the first time he said it on Fight Pass that they had the "WTF" reaction. They just chuckled a bit when he said it again during the main.

I was really happy to see DC commentating on Fight Pass, thought it meant they decided to let him do the whole show. Wonder what was so important that DC couldn't do the rest of the prelims and main card too?

I want to stress before I post anything how much I hate Jones, he has no redeeming features for me and I really enjoyed his time away from UFC and I would be very happy if he retired and not for one second would I be one of them who says things like 'He's champion but only because Jones is not around'. Nope, if he left UFC I would be happy.

Anyway...I got to say, going against popular opinion I was very impressed by his performance, it was 100% business, he dominated from bell to bell, took a few on the chin and never backed away. Honestly if I was his corner I would be pleased a punch with that outing, it was the perfect comeback fight for him And I still stand by my prediction he knocks DC out in their rematch, even if DC dominates from the start I can see Jones coming in with a big elbow late in the 3rd/4th and just ending it. (I know this because I hate him and I feel he was put on this earth to annoy me, I had a tear in my eye at the final bell of his fight with Alexander Gustafsson only to see the judges take my moment of glory away from me). I loved the fact Ultimate Warrior and Hogan got name dropped, that was incredible. Also I surely can't be the only one who has to google how to spell Alexander Gustafsson name very time I type it?

Might Mouse looked phenominal, when he got taken down I thought ok this is interesting but then he put on that knee clinic and that was all she wrote. I really like the guy, it's a pity UFC don't use him more for media/press conferences. He seems a real likeable bloke, he's got a great athletic look, he's a long term champion, he seems like somebody who should be 'bigger'

Props to Carla Esparza for her win also

Props?!? She's fucking terrible! I've never seen someone so afraid of trading strikes in my life. I didn't even watch that fight, it was just playing in the background but fuck me, every time I looked up she was basically 15 feet away from her opponent unless they were on the ground.

Props?!? She's fucking terrible! I've never seen someone so afraid of trading strikes in my life. I didn't even watch that fight, it was just playing in the background but fuck me, every time I looked up she was basically 15 feet away from her opponent unless they were on the ground.

Yeah, I understand she's coming off a terrible mauling from Joanna J, but holy hell she was tentative. Even Brock was less gun-shy after the Carwin beat-down.

Terrible? She was the #1 until Jedrzejczyk came on to the scene, she was Invictica champion, vacated to enter the house to then plough through everyone and get the UFC belt (WEC fighters never had to do this, I don't care what you say about the lack of depth in the division this is admirable). Whilst I will agree she is no longer the best in the world you cannot call her terrible, up until 2 fights ago she was The Champion and she has just had a 13 month lay off. As things stand her only defeat in the UFC is to the current champion and if you include her TUF fights she is 4-1 in the UFC. Tell me again how is terrible?

This woman does not get the respect she deserves, When she was champion Paige was getting Reebok deals before here. As for the 'self entitled' claims she is a former UFC Champion, Invictica Champion and winner of TUF. That's a pretty dam good resume for any fighter

Terrible? She was the #1 until Jedrzejczyk came on to the scene, she was Invictica champion, vacated to enter the house to then plough through everyone and get the UFC belt (WEC fighters never had to do this, I don't care what you say about the lack of depth in the division this is admirable). Whilst I will agree she is no longer the best in the world you cannot call her terrible, up until 2 fights ago she was The Champion and she has just had a 13 month lay off. As things stand her only defeat in the UFC is to the current champion and if you include her TUF fights she is 4-1 in the UFC. Tell me again how is terrible?

This woman does not get the respect she deserves, When she was champion Paige was getting Reebok deals before here. As for the 'self entitled' claims she is a former UFC Champion, Invictica Champion and winner of TUF. That's a pretty dam good resume for any fighter

I can call her terrible, and I will. She looked as though she'd do anything other than strike with her opponent on Saturday night, it was fucking ridiculous.

She got a pasting from Joanna Jedrzejczyk, it didn't even look competitive. To the uninitiated (ie; me) she didn't even look as though she should have been in there in that fight. And now she's afraid to trade blows? I'd be more than happy if we never saw her baw-face again.

• Paid Members

And I still stand by my prediction he knocks DC out in their rematch, even if DC dominates from the start I can see Jones coming in with a big elbow late in the 3rd/4th and just ending it. (I know this because I hate him and I feel he was put on this earth to annoy me, I had a tear in my eye at the final bell of his fight with Alexander Gustafsson only to see the judges take my moment of glory away from me). I loved the fact Ultimate Warrior and Hogan got name dropped, that was incredible. Also I surely can't be the only one who has to google how to spell Alexander Gustafsson name very time I type it?

Might Mouse looked phenominal, when he got taken down I thought ok this is interesting but then he put on that knee clinic and that was all she wrote. I really like the guy, it's a pity UFC don't use him more for media/press conferences. He seems a real likeable bloke, he's got a great athletic look, he's a long term champion, he seems like somebody who should be 'bigger'

I think it'll go to a decision again - Jones isn't a KO artist. Whilst I don't think it's a foregone conclusion he beats DC this time, I have to admit with annoyance that I think he will, but the more likely result in my opinion will be another decision. If he does finish DC, it'll more likely be by sub, especially when you consider he got right into DC's head by targeting the guy's own main weapon and completely out-wrestling him. I think that did more damage psychologically than anything else, and it may leave DC open for Jones to submit him. I hope not, but it's looking the increasingly likelier scenario.

As for Mighty Mouse: by all accounts, it's his own fault that UFC don't use him more for promotion. He's outright said he doesn't do that sort of thing, that it's how he is, etc. Seems a nice guy, but if he's going to refuse to do all the things that make people famous, then he's not going to make himself famous. First you get the fame, then you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women.

And fuck Esparza. Snide little toe-rag was almost as bad as Magana on TUF, deserved everything coming to her from JJ. The only thing that would be better is if Magana could somehow get herself a title shot solely to be butchered by Jedrzeczyk, but then that would involve her winning something, which is simultaneously annoying and unlikely to happen.

As for Mighty Mouse: by all accounts, it's his own fault that UFC don't use him more for promotion. He's outright said he doesn't do that sort of thing, that it's how he is, etc. Seems a nice guy, but if he's going to refuse to do all the things that make people famous, then he's not going to make himself famous. First you get the fame, then you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women.

Has he actively complained a lot about not getting the promotional spotlight shone on him though? If not, then fair enough. It may be the case that he's happy earning his cash, spending time with his family and just fighting. 

If he is moaning then he's in the wrong though, obviously.

Archived