UFC 197: Jones vs OSP

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Oh yeh, if Jones wins and goes to fight Cormier at 200 i'll be happy as shit. It's just really intriguing when a bit of a no hoper on paper gets a late call to step up. See Brenneman vs. Story, Soto vs. Dillashaw etc. The late call isnt as late here but its still a mammoth task for the guy taking on the challenge.

• Paid Members

Really gonna get on the pre-fight stuff for this before the show. Loads of good content on Fight Pass/Youtube. Feels like ive been neglecting some promo stuff with the last few shows and it does hamper the excitement factor going in.

• Paid Members

Pettis vs Barboza needs some love too. Should be incredible given both fighter's stand up games.

This could be the most thrilling fight of the next few months, i've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced!

I can't see OSP being competitive with Jones. This will probably be the least competitive PPV Main Event since Jones vs Sonnen. 

If Pettis comes out flat and loses a decision to Barboza - it's probable that he's done as a title contender, at least for the foreseeable future. In that event, he'll probably go down as one of the biggest "what ifs" in MMA history. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another fighter who's success has been ravaged by injuries so much, other than perhaps Shogun. 

Particularly excited to see my countryman Robert Whittaker fighting again. Met him a few weeks ago at UFC Brisbane, hell of a polite and gracious guy, crazy to think that he could knock my head off if I got on his bad side. Not particularly enamoured with Natal being his opponent, but hopefully Rob gets a standout finish on the PPV.

Oddly enough, I'm more interested in the Rodriguez vs. Fili, Whittaker vs. Natal and Pettis vs. Barboza than I am the two main events. Can't see past Mighty Mouse getting a UD and Jones destroying OSP inside the first.

• Paid Members

Its a great main card. I think Natal is a decent test for Whitaker, he's dealt with strikers handily so it'll be nice to see how he deals with a high level striker.

Pettis/Barboza could be some movie shit.

Just watched MMA beat and they said Pettis has been training with Jackson-Winklejohn and Duke Rufus has said his last few fights they were trying to work on the weaker parts of his game but now he's looking at getting better at the stronger parts of his game and focusing on that.

• Paid Members

I'm also hoping, and fully expecting, for a convincing Jones win. First time I'm pulling for Jones since...fuck, I don't think I've ever rooted for Jones before. The 205 division needs that DC vs Jones rematch at the moment.

Mouse vs Cejudo is an intriguing matchup of styles. Despite Cejudo's wrestling pedigree, I just can't see past DJ running rings around him and outclassing him. We'll see though. Cejudo could rise to the challenge. Hopefully it's at least a bit of a struggle for Johnson.

Pettis vs Barboza and Rodriguez vs Fili are where it's at though on this card for me. Proper excited about both of them fights.

• Paid Members

Mouse vs Cejudo is an intriguing matchup of styles. Despite Cejudo's wrestling pedigree, I just can't see past DJ running rings around him and outclassing him. We'll see though. Cejudo could rise to the challenge. Hopefully it's at least a bit of a struggle for Johnson.

that's my worry. Cejudo has barely utilised his wrestling in MMA, it's clearly in his back pocket but he likes to kickbox and it's pretty much a given that it's not wise to try and outstrike Johnson.

• Paid Members

I think he'll be trying to use his wrestling tonight. But I can see him trying to kickbox initially and giving up some of the early rounds as a result, then switching to his wrestling out of necessity.

It's always kind of baffled me actually why Cejudo hasn't shown more of his wrestling in his UFC fights. Fair enough, he's been winning regardless but you can't help thinking he could've won some of those fights more convincingly if he'd used his main strength in his wrestling. Who knows, maybe it was by design? Maybe he's deliberately held back on showing his best stuff and is going to try to surprise Mouse tonight by coming to wrestle the fuck out of him for the full 25. I think I'd actually prefer that, I'd like to see how DJ would deal with a guy like that. We've seen how he deals with guys who try to strike with him plenty of times and it doesn't work out well for them at all. The last time a Mighty Mouse opponent had any real sustained success against him, and we're having to go back years, was Uncle Creepy in the last round of their first fight. And he had that success with wrestling and ground and pound. Obviously, Johnson has improved since then and that was his flyweight debut, but it's enough to make me think that wrestling with DJ, especially if you're a fucking Olympic gold medalist in wrestling, has to be preferable to trying what everyone else has already failed at and hitting thin air all night while being countered and picked apart.

Archived