UFC 197: Jones vs OSP

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

As for Mighty Mouse: by all accounts, it's his own fault that UFC don't use him more for promotion. He's outright said he doesn't do that sort of thing, that it's how he is, etc. Seems a nice guy, but if he's going to refuse to do all the things that make people famous, then he's not going to make himself famous. First you get the fame, then you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women.

Has he actively complained a lot about not getting the promotional spotlight shone on him though? If not, then fair enough. It may be the case that he's happy earning his cash, spending time with his family and just fighting. 

If he is moaning then he's in the wrong though, obviously.

That was the impression I got. If I'm wrong, fair enough - wouldn't be the first time. If he's happy with what he's earning, or with the level of attention he gets, then all power to him.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

He's certainly expressed his opinion of wanting to make more money, but I can't really recall him doing it in a negative way.

I remember this in the build up to 197 where he said:-

"“That’s why I bring up the superfights – if this is such a big deal to the world and the company – a superfight – shoot, give me $2 milliion. Let me break that number. I’m going on my eighth title defense, and there are fighters who haven’t had the accolades in their mixed martial arts career – seven title defenses or whatnot. I’m not bitching or complaining (about what I get paid), I’m just keeping it real (about) that seven-figure number. I’m just keeping it focused and trying to break that number.”

• Paid Members

Then he's being stupid. He's not going to make that figure without a bit more work from himself. He should be able to purely on the basis of his ability, but unfortunately things don't work that way.

What superfights are available to him right now, anyway? He's demolished all of the flyweight division. He'd have to go back up to BW to fight Cruz, Dillashaw and Barao, really, and given that he didn't seem so ironclad in that division, I don't reckon he'd get more than one payday.

And I still stand by my prediction he knocks DC out in their rematch, even if DC dominates from the start I can see Jones coming in with a big elbow late in the 3rd/4th and just ending it. (I know this because I hate him and I feel he was put on this earth to annoy me, I had a tear in my eye at the final bell of his fight with Alexander Gustafsson only to see the judges take my moment of glory away from me). I loved the fact Ultimate Warrior and Hogan got name dropped, that was incredible. Also I surely can't be the only one who has to google how to spell Alexander Gustafsson name very time I type it?

Might Mouse looked phenominal, when he got taken down I thought ok this is interesting but then he put on that knee clinic and that was all she wrote. I really like the guy, it's a pity UFC don't use him more for media/press conferences. He seems a real likeable bloke, he's got a great athletic look, he's a long term champion, he seems like somebody who should be 'bigger'

Props to Carla Esparza for her win also

I think it'll go to a decision again - Jones isn't a KO artist. Whilst I don't think it's a foregone conclusion he beats DC this time, I have to admit with annoyance that I think he will, but the more likely result in my opinion will be another decision. If he does finish DC, it'll more likely be by sub, especially when you consider he got right into DC's head by targeting the guy's own main weapon and completely out-wrestling him. I think that did more damage psychologically than anything else, and it may leave DC open for Jones to submit him. I hope not, but it's looking the increasingly likelier scenario.

As for Mighty Mouse: by all accounts, it's his own fault that UFC don't use him more for promotion. He's outright said he doesn't do that sort of thing, that it's how he is, etc. Seems a nice guy, but if he's going to refuse to do all the things that make people famous, then he's not going to make himself famous. First you get the fame, then you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women.

And fuck Esparza. Snide little toe-rag was almost as bad as Magana on TUF, deserved everything coming to her from JJ. The only thing that would be better is if Magana could somehow get herself a title shot solely to be butchered by Jedrzeczyk, but then that would involve her winning something, which is simultaneously annoying and unlikely to happen.

When I say 'KO' I mean more likely a stoppage, I can see him hitting a elbow and landing 3/4 strikes with the ref jumping in to call enough. In my head KO/TKO's are the same thing

And fair enough on Mighty Mouse, if that's how he wants it.

I guess I'm truly alone in the Carla Esparza fan club, that's fine I'm ok with that. I'm also ok with judging somebody based on their 4-1 UFC career rather than their last 2 fights (one of which she won!)

• Paid Members

Esparza's not shit, she's just very one dimensional. Her grappling was enough for her to get by on for a while but I think that day's gone now. The strawweight division is improving quickly, it has to if the rest want to catch up to Jedrzejczyk. Esparza is never, ever going to beat Jedrzejczyk though. It's just not happening. All she's got is wrestling but she's not fast enough to close the distance before JJ fired off her strikes and if she's forced to stand, as we saw in their fight, she has no answer for Joanna's standup whatsoever. I don't see her faring well against Claudia Gadelha either. I'd give Namajunas a much better shot if they were to rematch, and I could see Randa Markos, Jessica Penne and Karolina Kowalkiewicz giving her grief as well. The division has left her behind for me. She'll get by with her stifling grappling gameplan to a point but it's going to be too predictable at the top end of the division.

And I'm not just being harsh because I can't stand her either. I love Joanne Calderwood but she's in a similar boat. Too one dimensional, her grappling isn't up to snuff and she's probably never going to close the gap.

For me there's nothing to like about Esparza. She showed herself to be a twat on TUF 20, which was only kind of diluted because you also had Herrig and Magana running around being utter cunts as well. And on top of that, her fighting style is about as entertaining as watching grass grow. No redeeming features at all for me. Looks like BJ Penn in a wig, fights like a less talented Jake Shields, has all the personality of a paperweight and all the likeability of Piers Morgan. That fan club must be one fucking lonely place :/

• Paid Members

Yeah, I didn't say Esparza was shit - I just said "Fuck her", because I can't stand her. Nothing to do with her abilities - you don't get to be the first ever UFC strawweight champ by being shit - she's just utterly dislikable. Same as how I'll always root against Jon Jones - I don't dislike him because he's shit (for obvious reasons), I dislike him because he's a crap cunt.

• Paid Members

I think it's easy to say that DC really would have fancied his chances against that Jon Jones, i feel that Jones was simply to confident in there though, OSP offered little threat and Jones admitting that he started imagining launching attacks rather than actually throwing them sums up the whole fight really. I feel bad dissing OSP considering he had only 3 weeks to prepare and supposedly broke his arm in round 2 but his lack of urgency and lack of will to win was just disheartening.

Flip that and Demetrious Johnson put in one of his greatest performances! For a minute or so i thought we were headed for DJ's most competetive challenge in ages then he goes and crushes Cejudo with knee's. God knows where DJ goes next, he seems content beating the guys they put in front of him and likely will want to break Anderson's 10 title win streak so i see him staying at 125 for a while.

Who is there to fight though? Cejudo was probably the last real appealing Flyweight in contention. There's a few guys between 11-15 that i'd like to see have a go (Justin Scoggins being one), sounds silly to say it but given the way the division looks they could get a shot.

Elswhere on the card,

* i thought Dominque Steele was hard done by losing the decision to Danny Roberts (good fight though).

* Edson Barboza put on a bit of a clinic against Anthony Pettis. Crazy to see how far Pettis has fallen, he was all set to be the poster boy for the sport. I think the UFC throws him a bone and gives him a few real winnable fights. Pettis has been beaten soundly in his last 3 fights, all in different kinds of ways. I wouldn't say he's done, but what a humbling experience for him. Edson Barboza was outstanding.

* Heavyweight prelim was a lot of fun. Cody East was the hype coming in but Walt Harris landed the hammer. Both guys gave the fans what they wanted though. I'll look forward to seeing both guys back. Cody East looks like one of those guys that would benefit from a Cruiserweight division. Walt Harris was seen as little more than a faceless UFC jobber (0-3) but he got the KO, got the mic and showed some star-like quality, real charismatic guy, strange what 60 seconds mic time can do for a guy. Hopefully it's the turning point for him.

* Yair Rodriguez is money though. I agree with wand. when he said that you get that feeling watching Yair like you did when Anthony Pettis first came around, completely fearless and will try some mental shit. Few more exciting fighters in MMA right now.

• Paid Members

Looking at the flyweight division, it does seem like DJ still has a few people he can still face, but just barely. Jussier Formiga's the #2 behind Cejudo, but his last match was a loss to Cejudo, so he'd probably need another win to get a shot. Maybe a revenge fight against McCall or Benavidez? No way to know if he'd beat them though, and it'd be risking throwing away a new challenger on one of two guys who've already lost to Mouse.

It seems to me the problem with flyweight is that all the guys in the top 10 are taking wins off each other; all the ones who've not faced Mouse yet have already been beaten by guys who have.

• Paid Members

yeh, no new contenders are really creating a path for themselves. Next in line probably has to be Joseph Benavidez again. People may scoff at that as Benavidez is 0-2 against and was KO'd cold last time out but he's quite clearly the no.2 guy in the division, 5 fight win streak including a few top 10 names.

To understand what kind of mess Flyweight is in, Ian McCall is ranked no. 4 yet he hasn't won a fight since July 2014.

Bit late to comment but my boy Y-Rod stole the show with that flying switch kick KO. El Pantera is coming for Conor!

My other boy Jones has never looked more ponderous or predictable, but still cruised to a whitewash. I'm not sure that extra muscle is going to help him at LHW. Cormier must have been gutted not to have been in there defending the title. 

Esparza's not shit, she's just very one dimensional. Her grappling was enough for her to get by on for a while but I think that day's gone now. The strawweight division is improving quickly, it has to if the rest want to catch up to Jedrzejczyk. Esparza is never, ever going to beat Jedrzejczyk though. It's just not happening. All she's got is wrestling but she's not fast enough to close the distance before JJ fired off her strikes and if she's forced to stand, as we saw in their fight, she has no answer for Joanna's standup whatsoever. I don't see her faring well against Claudia Gadelha either. I'd give Namajunas a much better shot if they were to rematch, and I could see Randa Markos, Jessica Penne and Karolina Kowalkiewicz giving her grief as well. The division has left her behind for me. She'll get by with her stifling grappling gameplan to a point but it's going to be too predictable at the top end of the division.

And I'm not just being harsh because I can't stand her either. I love Joanne Calderwood but she's in a similar boat. Too one dimensional, her grappling isn't up to snuff and she's probably never going to close the gap.

For me there's nothing to like about Esparza. She showed herself to be a twat on TUF 20, which was only kind of diluted because you also had Herrig and Magana running around being utter cunts as well. And on top of that, her fighting style is about as entertaining as watching grass grow. No redeeming features at all for me. Looks like BJ Penn in a wig, fights like a less talented Jake Shields, has all the personality of a paperweight and all the likeability of Piers Morgan. That fan club must be one fucking lonely place :/

I will agree that there is a chance she will get left behind, this happens to pretty much every Champion at one point or another as the sport evolves (If you are a Snooker fan then this is something you have seen bucket loads of). From here on out I see her as a gatekeeper. I agree about Jojo, as much as she's the most likeable fighter maybe in all of history you get the feeling she's hit her ceiling, there's nothing new coming from her and those early talks of her being a title contender are set to become a distant memory. And it's a great pity because she is one of the most interesting fighters they have, just how can anybody be so nice outside the ring?

And yeah it is a lonely fan club, Good job I never did that bulk order on member badges...

Archived