UFC 197: Jones vs OSP

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

If Jones/OSP has been announced as Jones' initial comeback fight i think i'd have been alright with it. With Jones saying he's willing to fight anyone though it got the heavyweight thoughts going in my head. Ahhhh well, still OSP is a decent comeback fight, an impressive Jones victory will just get everyone more excited about what's to come too. Not quite sure why they've attached an interim title to it though.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the UFC's perspective though, it doesn't benefit to have the 0.001% chance turn out and see Mark Hunt behead Jon Jones does it. Mark Hunt's a million years old, they can't promote him as the next shit AND golden geese Conor and Ronda have lost recently and neither of their conquerors are going to/have gone on to be bankable stars for a few years to come.

At least with this fight you can expect Jones to win against a lesser ranked guy in his own division, and if he does lose at least there's somewhere they can go with OSP.

• Paid Members

My initial thought was that the only reason for the interim title here would be so they could avoid having Johnson vs Cejudo as the main event. But, as they showed last month with McGregor vs Diaz, they will put non-title fights on above title fights if the situation warrants it.

I'm thinking it probably is that reason though. And just to make the fight seem like it actually has something at stake. Doesn't make much sense though, considering Cormier defended the title less than six months ago.

To be fair, if ever a feud deserved a title v title build, it's Jones v Cormier.

Essentially, it'll be interim title versus interim title to decide who's actually champion.

Also, apparently Cormier's recovery time is only 4-6 weeks. If Jones smokes OSP, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the rearranged fight at 200.

The cynic in me wouldn't even be surprised if this is all a work to bolster 200.

• Paid Members

I have an irrational hatred for OSP since Mauro Ranallo always used to call him OSP in Strikeforce and it came across like a poorman's GSP. Plus his palm tree tattoos are shit.

Strikeforce seemed to have all the rip-off guys - like a tribute wrestling show; OSP, Rashid Evans, Brock Larson, Fodor, Valentijn Overeem. Yes, I know some of them weren't in Strikeforce....

• Paid Members

Jones taking this OSP fight is the worst thing possible for Cormier.

Firstly, one of the big reasons why I was picking Cormier to win was Jones being out of action for so long. Jones would have gone into that fight with rust and potentially some nerves. All that will be gone after the OSP fight.

On top of that him taking the fight and saving the card gives him a lot of PR points and possibly wins him some fans too.

• Paid Members

On top of that him taking the fight and saving the card gives him a lot of PR points and possibly wins him some fans too.

Yeah, and Cormier was already getting wound up by Jones winning the popularity contest at the Unstoppable press conference.

From Jones' POV this is probably the best way for him to come back. OSP is a good fighter but he's someone Jones should have no trouble mopping the canvas with. In fact, I'll be surprised if Jones doesn't break his streak of decision wins with this fight, I think he finishes this one. Just can't envision OSP lasting five rounds in there with Jones. And especially when he's not even had a full camp.

I think you're right, lamby. I was already heavily favouring Jones to go 2-0 over DC anyway. But, like you say, at least Cormier had the possible edge that he'd been more active over the last year and Jones would be returning with some rust and maybe less confidence. If Jones goes out there and just annihilates OSP though, it'll only make Cormier's job more difficult because then Jones will not only have knocked off the ring rust, he'll be coming into the Cormier rematch with momentum.

It doesn't look like we're getting the rematch at UFC 200.  According to MMAFighting, D.C is expected back in August/September.

Whatever is said about Jones, there are still a handful of fights at 205lbs that I really want to see him in. In addition to the D.C rematch, I wouldn't mind seeing him face Rumble, and few wouldn't want to see him face Gusty again. 

The top 4 carry the division these days. The rest of the division is dire.  Full of fighters who've either seen better days or who are career gatekeepers.  Rashad hasn't won a fight in 2 and a half years, yet he's still ranked at number 7th. That's how poor the standard is. 

• Paid Members

I have to admit I was disappointed to hear Cormier offer his training camp to OSP and pay his travel expenses. I can see why Cormier is doing it from the perspective of just pissing off Jones, and to that point it worked. 

However, it looks ridiculous to the fans of the sport. Whilst I don't for a second believe it, it suggests, as Jones points out, he wants someone else to do the job for him and that he's possibly afraid. 

Basically a stupid thing to say.

That said, it's certainly created a heated exchange that's made the rematch even bigger than it was. 

In regards to your post Jim, yep, outside the top 4, the division is dire. To be fair, quite a lot of the UFC's divisions are like that now. Outside the top 2/3, the gap in talent is huge. New talent is a must. 

Archived