UFC 197: Jones vs OSP

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Im not sure of this true, but isn't Nurmagomadov relatively new to aka as well?

Could be wrong but I think Khabib joined AKA around the time he debuted in the UFC in 2012, as far as I recall. It was early in his UFC run anyway. Maybe one or two fights deep at the most.

Gutted about Cormier vs Jones being off but if it ends up as Jones vs Rumble I'm happy with that. I still think that's a really interesting fight style-wise, despite Rumble's loss to DC. Well it'll be interesting for a round or two anyway. When Rumble's at his most lethal. I don't think Jones has fought anyone who could threaten him physically in quite the way Rumble can early on. Belfort is the only other guy Jones has fought who rivals Rumble for sheer explosiveness and early danger for me, but Rumble's bigger and stronger than Vitor. If Rumble didn't catch Jones early though, I think it's safe to assume Jones will run away with it. One thing the DC vs Rumble fight showed is that Light Heavyweight Rumble can still be broken and demoralised mentally just like Welterweight and Middleweight Rumble could be, IF you can weather the storm and grind him down. Easier said than done of course, and there's only a small Jeremy Beadle sized handful of men who I think can carry that out, but Jones is one of them.

How bad is DC's injury? Is he likely to be back in time for UFC 200? It'd be a fairly quick turnaround for Jones if he does still fight at 197 and beats Rumble (or whoever) but I'm guessing with all the shit going on with Jones of late it's probably a good idea to try to keep him busy with fights. Not that he seems to give a fuck whether he's supposed to be in camp or not but, you know, worth a try. Tell you what, as much of a cunt as he is, if he were to beat Rumble in April then turn around and go 2-0 over Cormier in July (at UFC 200 no less!), it'll go some way to washing some of that bad taste out of people's mouths. Maybe. And at that point, what's left for him at 205? I would like to see that Gustafsson rematch at some stage, just because of how incredible the first one was, but he's as good as wiped out the entire division with wins over AJ and DC in the coming months.

Actually, as I type this, surely Cormier vs Jones 2 will now be at MSG, right? It just makes sense. I know Cormier didn't want to give Jones the home field advantage but you have to think that fight at MSG appeals to the UFC. In fact weren't they originally targeting UFC 197 for the MSG debut?

I'd say stick Lawler vs Condit 2 (or GSP if they can get him) on 200. Then have the MSG debut with Cormier vs Jones 2 and Tate vs Rousey 3 around August or September time.

And I still think they should book Serra vs Hughes 2 for MSG. Fuck it.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Jones says he's down for fighting anyone at Light Heavyweight or Heavyweight. Fair play to him. That will certainly go some way to helping the current perception of him.

At first I was excited by both Rumble or Gustaffson getting the call. But then Mark fucking Hunt posted an Instagram video saying he wants in and my dick exploded. That's the greatest heel vs. babyface dynamic of all time. Can you imagine if a prick as bad as Jon Jones went down to a walk-away knock-out? Jesus Christ. That would be the greatest moment in the history of the sport.

EDIT: OSP? Rubbish!

I don't even know who OSP is. Is that bad?

I would say it is...

Ovince Saint Preux, MMA record of 19-7 he's lost to the likes of Bader and Teixeira over the last year, he's best win was a 34 second knock out over Shogun back in 2014, he is currently ranked no. 6 at Light Heavyweight

I don't even know who OSP is. Is that bad?

I would say it is...

Ovince Saint Preux, MMA record of 19-7 he's lost to the likes of Bader and Teixeira over the last year, he's best win was a 34 second knock out over Shogun back in 2014, he is currently ranked no. 6 at Light Heavyweight

I've had a few drinks... But this rings a bell actually. The Teixeira fight especially. Weird matchup. Obviously for some marketing gimmick interim vs the title holder.

• Paid Members

If Georges and Ovince went into business together to start up their own internet provider, I would really want to know the USP of GSP & OSP's ISP is.

It makes complete sense, well the fight anyway.

Jones has beaten everyone at 205 apart from Anthony Johnson and if he fights Jones you do t want any lame excuses. same with a fight with Gustuffson.

He hasn't fought in 15 months, so he gets to get rid of the ring rust

Yeah, doesn't really hit the spot does it? I see Jones cruising for a few rounds, then finishing OSP with relative ease.

I'd favour Jones to beat Rumble, but at least there's a bit of doubt there. I mean even if Rumble is a bit of a flake, he would be a legitimate threat in the early stages. He finished Gusty early, and had Cormier in all sorts of trouble in the opening stages of their fight. From what I've seen of OSP, he's doesn't have much to cause Jones any bother at all. 

Oh well, it's a tune-up for Jones. As the_mole said, it will get rid of the cobwebs. Hopefully we get Jones vs D.C 2 over the Summer. 

• Paid Members

Updated the OP for OSP...

hWQap.jpg

PPV MAIN CARD

Jon Jones vs Ovince St Preux - Interim Light Heavyweight Title

Demetrious Johnson vs Henry Cejudo - Flyweight Title

Anthony Pettis vs Edson Barboza

Robert Whittaker vs Rafael Natal

Yair Rodriguez vs Andre Fili

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Sergio Pettis vs Chris Kelades

Carla Esparza vs Juliana Lima

Danny Roberts vs Dominique Steele

Glaico Franca vs James Vick

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Clint Hester vs Marcos Rogerio De Lima

Efrain Escudero vs Kevin Lee

Can't say I'm that into Jones vs OSP. But it's probably as good as we could've realistically expected given the notice. I wish they had gone with Jones vs Hunt though. Fucking hell! Not that I'd have fancied Hunt to actually win, but just the thought of him connecting with one of those walk-away deathblows would make that fight 100x more interesting than this one. People talk about the 'punchers chance' but when you punch like Mark Hunt that chance increases significantly. Plus it'd have the novelty of being Jones' first step into heavyweight. That alone would probably shift a few more PPV buys on the curiosity factor alone.

In other news, I see BJ Penn finally got his wish and made it onto the card. Donning a wig and a sports bra and facing Juliana Lima on the prelims. The lengths he's had to go to to get a fight!

2s6NH.jpg

1U0zv.jpg

You never see them in the same place at the same time, do you? That's all I'm saying.

Jones vs Hunt would have set the sport alight. That's the sort of fight that both the casual and hardcore audience would lap up. The mere prospect of that fight makes me even more underwhelmed about Jones vs OSP.

Ah well, you can't have it all. The UFC are treating us throughout the Spring and Summer months, so I can't complain too much.

Archived