UFC 197: Jones vs OSP

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

The thing with elbows though, is you have to get close to land them. Even with Jones' reach, he's still got to get in fairly close range to land elbows. And against someone like, say Hunt, that would actually help Hunt because he wouldn't have to get past Jones' reach, Jones would be putting himself in range where Hunt could reach him. And he's not likely to knock someone as tough as Mark Hunt out with an elbow. I'm sure Hunt would be willing to eat a couple of them to land one bomb. And that's the thing, the heavyweights would likely be able to eat more of what Jones can dish out. That's what makes it so interesting for me. He'd definitely have the speed edge over the rest of them, but he'd be giving up significant power. His chin's held up fine at 205, but against guys 20, 30, 50lbs heavier? He's never had to deal with that.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think Hunt is one of those few Heavywights that I give Jones a chance with. Irrespective of the reach advantage I think Jones' wrestling game would give Hunt major problems. Once he got Hunt to the floor I don't think there would be much Hunt could do about it. 

It's the elbows on the ground Wand that would probably finish Hunt, not the ones standing.

• Paid Members

Maybe, I certainly wouldn't rule it out. But Jones hasn't finished a fight in ages, awesome a fighter as he is. Without checking, I think it was Sonnen he last stopped. I bet he can't finish a wank these days. Not even knocking him, the opposition he's been facing has been consistently the toughest on the planet (OSP aside but he's still good and despite him taking it on short notice, Jones had been out over a year himself).

I'm not even saying he wouldn't beat Hunt. I said myself all Hunt would really have is a punchers chance. But I'd love to see that fight. Hunt's KO power and stupid toughness vs Jones' technique and all-round attack. I think Jones would win but it'd be interesting because I don't think he'd want to stand with Hunt but he'd have to be careful as fuck on his changing levels for takedowns because Hunt times that uppercut better than just about anyone in the game. I'd LOVE to see him land that walk-away KO uppercut on Jones.

• Paid Members

I still think Jones might be #1. He's beat the tougher list of challengers over the course of his reign for me, and he's never legitimately lost a fight. Whereas Mouse has lost twice. Yes they were years ago and at a higher weight but you have to split hairs to separate two fighters this good and Jones just doesn't have that real blemish on his record like DJ does. The Hamill loss was a loss on a technicality. DJ's loss to Cruz was a domination. And it does count despite being at another weight because pound-for-pound goes beyond weight classes, obviously.

I wouldn't argue with anyone who wants to put Demetrious Johnson at #1 now though. He's an absolutely incredible fighter, he's either dominated or destroyed everyone who matters in his division and he's made it look easy. Where he beats Jones for me is on recent form. He's been both busier and has been winning his fights more impressively and more dominantly than Jones has. But looking at both guys' full body of work, I still have Jones a nose in front.

Jones had a lot of distractions leading up to this fight, change of opponent, spending a few days in jail and his mother apparently had her foot removed in the week of the fight due to diabetes.

Mighty Mouse is obviously the most skilled fighter in MMA right now but you naturaly become slower and the technique isnt as great the larger you go.

I usually agree with Jose Aldo when he said Cain Velasquez (now Werdum) is the best pound for pound as he would beat him and all the other champions in a fight and it's pointless debating it, although you can obviously use it to help promote certain fighters.

Archived