UFC 197: Jones vs OSP

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As much as I like D.C, I have to admit that Jones had a point there. If the rematch does happen in late Summer, it will keep the company's buzz ticking after UFC 200.

Lamby - Yeah, Heavyweight is the same. Welterweight is an ageing division as well.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anyone know when the MSG debut is likely to be? Could definitely see Cormier vs Jones 2 happening there.

Wonder what the other title fight for UFC 200 will be then.

- Heavyweight is out because Werdum vs Miocic is happening in May.

- Light Heavyweight has been ruled with DC hurt.

- Middleweight has Rockhold vs Weidman in June.

- Welterweight, maybe?

- Lightweight depends when RDA is healthy.

- Featherweight, no because McGregor is fighting at 170 at UFC 200.

- Bantamweight, Cruz vs Faber is already set for June.

- Flyweight, maybe but Mighty Mouse vs Latest Victim doesn't scream UFC 200, does it?

- Women's Bantamweight, fuck knows what's happening.

- Strawweight, Double J vs Gadelha 2 is booked already for the summer.

Purely by process of elimination, it's got to be 170, hasn't it? Lawler vs Condit 2, Lawler vs Woodley, Lawler vs GSP? Something. Flyweight is probably the only other option but not only will nobody care, I can't even think who is next for DJ after he beats Cejudo. Suppose there's an outside chance of Tate vs Holm 2.

Yeah, this should've gone in the UFC 200 thread.

I think it'll be Tate vs Holm 2

Dana said there will be women's bouts on the bill. Given how strongly women's MMA is featured these days, I suspect they will want an important women's bout to feature high up on the card. Tate vs Holm 2 would slot nicely into the co-headline spot along with Aldo vs Edgar 2. 

Lawler and RDA will probably be saved for 201 or 202. 

Edit: For the record, I think Holm wins the rematch on points. 

• Paid Members

Actually, I think I'd rather they just hold off a month or two with Lawler's fight. Then they could even do the Nick Diaz rematch because Diaz's suspension will be up, I think, just after UFC 200.

As much as I'm giddy for UFC 200, the months following it could be fucking incredible. We could potentially see any of these fights from Aug-Dec;

Cormier vs Jones 2

Lawler vs Diaz 2

McGregor vs Edgar or Aldo 2

Tate vs Rousey 3

Werdum vs Velasquez 2

Holm vs Rousey 2

Dos Anjos vs McGregor

Lawler vs Condit 2

Faber vs Dillashaw

Cyborg vs Holm/Tate/Rousey

Add to all that you've got possibilities for Anderson Silva, Michael Bisping, maybe even GSP. You've got Rockhold, Weidman, Jacare etc at 185 as well. You've got Mark Hunt plodding about knocking heads off. You've got Overeem more on track than he's ever been in the UFC. All we're talking about is up to July but thinking about the back end of 2016, there's some ridiculous stuff on the horizon.

It doesn't look like we're getting the rematch at UFC 200.  According to MMAFighting, D.C is expected back in August/September.

Whatever is said about Jones, there are still a handful of fights at 205lbs that I really want to see him in. In addition to the D.C rematch, I wouldn't mind seeing him face Rumble, and few wouldn't want to see him face Gusty again. 

The top 4 carry the division these days. The rest of the division is dire.  Full of fighters who've either seen better days or who are career gatekeepers.  Rashad hasn't won a fight in 2 and a half years, yet he's still ranked at number 7th. That's how poor the standard is. 

I would like to see them do Jones v Rockhold if both keep winning. Rockhold could definitely make 205 and I think his style could give Jones some serious problems.

He's also mates with Cormier so I imagine there would be a bit needle between them.

• Paid Members

Anyone know when the MSG debut is likely to be? Could definitely see Cormier vs Jones 2 happening there.

Wonder what the other title fight for UFC 200 will be then.

- Heavyweight is out because Werdum vs Miocic is happening in May.

- Light Heavyweight has been ruled with DC hurt.

- Middleweight has Rockhold vs Weidman in June.

- Welterweight, maybe?

- Lightweight depends when RDA is healthy.

- Featherweight, no because McGregor is fighting at 170 at UFC 200.

- Bantamweight, Cruz vs Faber is already set for June.

- Flyweight, maybe but Mighty Mouse vs Latest Victim doesn't scream UFC 200, does it?

- Women's Bantamweight, fuck knows what's happening.

- Strawweight, Double J vs Gadelha 2 is booked already for the summer.

Purely by process of elimination, it's got to be 170, hasn't it? Lawler vs Condit 2, Lawler vs Woodley, Lawler vs GSP? Something. Flyweight is probably the only other option but not only will nobody care, I can't even think who is next for DJ after he beats Cejudo. Suppose there's an outside chance of Tate vs Holm 2.

Yeah, this should've gone in the UFC 200 thread.

Yeah, I tried to do a process of elimination post a few days back that was similar. I don't get why they would be holding off on announcing GSP and I can see them shying away from RDA potentially holding two belts, so my guess is Lawler Vs Woodley or Tate Vs Rousey 3.

I would like to see them do Jones v Rockhold if both keep winning. Rockhold could definitely make 205 and I think his style could give Jones some serious problems.

He's also mates with Cormier so I imagine there would be a bit needle between them.

Now there's something I didn't think of. That would work wouldn't it.

I was going to entertain the possibility of Jones eventually going up to fight at Heavyweight. With the Heavyweight division in the state it's in, I could see Jones taking a few feature bouts and winning them handily. I could even picture him mounting a serious challenge for the title if it became a full-time deal. People forget that Rumble Johnson beat Arlovski a few years ago, and Cormier had quite a run at Heavyweight. I think the top 4 at 205lbs would give the vast majority of the Heavyweights fits. 

I didn't think of Middleweights going up to fight Jones. In addition to Rockhold, I think Weidman could go up. He's also big at 185lbs, and was even willing to fight Jones as a late replacement in late 2012. Anyway, a lot of bridges need to be crossed before then. Jones still has a bit of business at 205lbs. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bumping this thread as it's this weekend.

I have to say, despite seemingly no one else that arsed, I can't wait for DJ vs Cejudo. I think this really is a top top fight pitting two incredible fighters against one another. Despite sometimes being not that likeable, I'm really behind Cejudo. It's nothing personal against DJ, but I really hope Cejudo wins.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think we could see a new champion too. I don't think Cejudo knows how to lose. There's something in his genetics that refuses to lose, and if Cejudo can impose his will (along with his obvious strength advantage) it could be a long night for DJ.

The guy is a gold medalist for shit's sake, the mental strength of the guy really is through the roof.  

Here's their countdown segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrOtxmMkvgk

• Paid Members

i think for the good of the division the UFC needs Cejudo to win, or in defeat push DJ into a spot he's never found himself in before, put on some kind of classic and establish a bit of a feud. If Johnson goes out and dominates again the division's gonna look dead in the water. What worries me is that Cejudo might want a kickboxing match and it's been proven that that aint the right way to fight Mighty Mouse, he'll stick, move and outpoint Cejudo all night.

• Paid Members

i think for the good of the division the UFC needs Cejudo to win, or in defeat push DJ into a spot he's never found himself in before, put on some kind of classic and establish a bit of a feud. If Johnson goes out and dominates again the division's gonna look dead in the water. What worries me is that Cejudo might want a kickboxing match and it's been proven that that aint the right way to fight Mighty Mouse, he'll stick, move and outpoint Cejudo all night.

Yeah, I can only see a convincing DJ win. Mighty Mouse's hands are too good and Cejudo won't be able to get hold of him to use his wrestling.

• Paid Members

Hopefully there is an upset in one of the main events. I don't like Jones, so he could be up against the dog that attacked my brother 20 years ago and I'd still be cheering the dog.

Mighty Mouse is impressive but he and his division could do with a new champion for a bit. Cejudo is clearly a premium animal, and I wouldn't be surprised if he finally cracks the Mighty Mouse code, but you can't bet against a man that has dominated like Mighty Mouse has. I too am looking forward to the fight, watching Mighty Mouse in action is always impressive.

Hoping for a mighty mouse defeat, seems like a lovely bloke, but everyone's right it's best for the division. Either that or a solid fight with a controversial decision for Mighty Mouse that forces a half-interesting rematch.

Archived