UFC 197: Jones vs OSP

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I'm not even so sure that Jones at Heavyweight would do that well. This isn't me putting down his achievements at 205 as I think he's the best ever 205'er. But for the reasons you've mentioned above Jim I think Jones may struggle in a division where more than not, you need to be a heavy hitter to survive.

I don't really think Jones has the tools to really damage the big bastards up there because I think he would struggle to take them down and struggle without the reach advantage.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones has usually cut from 220, Randy Couture did the same and he basically did it by walking fast on a treadmill wearing a sweat suit.

15lbs is only a problem if your under say 155.

While he had trouble with Gustaffson there is a chance he underestimated him, before the fight the only thing the UFC really mentioned was they were the same height but he was expected to do what Phil Davis had done previously, easily take him down and submit him but it obviously didn't play out that way.

He took OSP in short notice, maybe he was right and they didn't have enough time to sort out a game plan but who knows.

He took Shogun and Vitor on short notice but his main team mate was already scheduled to fight Shogun, so he probably knew a lot of his weaknessses and Vitor nearly broke Jones' arm when they fought.

• Paid Members

If he beats DC and then Rumble, he's not got much more interesting options at Light Heavyweight (Teixeira?). A man all about "chasing greatness" is surely very interested in a super fight v the heavyweight champion. If he gets past DC and Rumble we may very well get that match late next year.

Jones v Velasquez and/or Werdum though.

I have no idea how he'll do in those fights, which is why I want to see them. As discussed, Jones struggles against bigger fighters, but we'll see if he can make adjustments.

• Paid Members

I'd love to see Jones vs Rockhold. Plus it's a second chapter of Jones vs AKA which, if Jones won that, could lead beautifully to Jones vs Cain.

I'd be up for Jones vs Weidman as well. Weidman actually offered to step up and fight Jones at UFC 151 when Hendo dropped out. Bare in mind he'd probably only had six or seven fights at that point. How that could've changed the landscape. If the UFC had gone ahead with Jones vs Weidman at UFC 151, Jones presumably would've won, so Weidman would've had to work his way back up. Who knows how middleweight would've panned out. Weidman's shot at Anderson would've likely been delayed a bit, Anderson's win streak would probably have lasted a bit longer, maybe Bisping would've got that fight with Anderson for the title, maybe someone else ends Anderson's reign of terror like Rockhold or TRT Vitor.

• Paid Members

Only problem I'd have with Rockhold/Jones is knowing whom to root for. Sort of like asking a 12 year-old to choose between Gary Glitter and Jimmy Savile.

Guess I'd probably root for Rockhold - he's just really slimy, whereas Jones is a proven Jeremy. Or, according to Rogan, Jones is black and I'm a racist.

• Paid Members

I'm not even so sure that Jones at Heavyweight would do that well. This isn't me putting down his achievements at 205 as I think he's the best ever 205'er. But for the reasons you've mentioned above Jim I think Jones may struggle in a division where more than not, you need to be a heavy hitter to survive.

Yeah, Jones himself has even admitted that he lacks power in the past. I'm sure he even went as far as to say 'I couldn't bust a grape'. And that's at 205. If he's having trouble finishing the guys at 205, going up to heavyweight it'd be even more evident.

There's no question he has the skills. If he jumped to heavyweight tomorrow, IMO there's not a guy in that division that is his equal in terms of pure skill, talent and fight IQ. But I do agree that the power differential would likely be an issue. It's a big jump. If he's cutting from around 220-225 tops to make 205, he'd be at the smaller end of heavyweight and he could be in with guys who come into the cage at around 280 on fight night.

At least he'd be at a handicap though, which would make it interesting. He's so good it almost feels like you have to put him at a disadvantage just to make it more fair.

• Paid Members

Only problem I'd have with Rockhold/Jones is knowing whom to root for. Sort of like asking a 12 year-old to choose between Gary Glitter and Jimmy Savile.

Guess I'd probably root for Rockhold - he's just really slimy, whereas Jones is a proven Jeremy. Or, according to Rogan, Jones is black and I'm a racist.

Rockhold is gorgeous though. Easy.

Yeah, Jones himself has even admitted that he lacks power in the past. I'm sure he even went as far as to say 'I couldn't bust a grape'. And that's at 205. If he's having trouble finishing the guys at 205, going up to heavyweight it'd be even more evident.

There's no question he has the skills. If he jumped to heavyweight tomorrow, IMO there's not a guy in that division that is his equal in terms of pure skill, talent and fight IQ. But I do agree that the power differential would likely be an issue. It's a big jump. If he's cutting from around 220-225 tops to make 205, he'd be at the smaller end of heavyweight and he could be in with guys who come into the cage at around 280 on fight night.

At least he'd be at a handicap though, which would make it interesting. He's so good it almost feels like you have to put him at a disadvantage just to make it more fair.

Jones said recently that while he fancies heavyweight, he doesn't want to fight of the bigger heavyweights (in size and power). I think he's well aware a Mark Hunt fight leaves him with a tremendous disadvantage.

• Paid Members

That's the thing though while I totally get why he'd be apprehensive, especially in light of how Conor McGregor's jump up the divisions went down, a fight like Jones vs Hunt completely fascinates me. Jones has him beat in all around MMA skills all day long and he'd hold a massive edge in grappling and he'd still have the reach and lanky frame. BUT Hunt has that ridiculous power and toughness. He wouldn't have much more than a punchers chance against Jones IMO, but that punchers chance goes up significantly because a) not many men walking the planet hit like Mark fucking Hunt and b) Jones doesn't have the power to keep Hunt at bay.

I honestly think I actually want to see Jones vs Hunt even more than the more talked about Cain fight. Jones vs Werdum is another fight that I'm becoming a bit obsessed with. Proper interesting fights on paper.

He might not have that much punching power but his elbows are deadly especially for guys who like to fight inside.

Only Struve has the reach advantage he has and I'm sure he would bulk up a bit at heavyweight to around 240 and he would still have the speed advantage over almost every heavyweight.

Archived