Most deluded / nuttiest pro wrestlers

Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members

Did he have a similar on some medical advert on TV. May have a chiropractors or something like that. Either way the numbers didn't add up

That may have been it, actually. No doubt these chiropractors also sorted out Hulks back after he press slammed the 800 pound giant through the roof of the Silverdome.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Not completely on topic but nearly every book I read written by an old timer from the territory days speak about causing riots and having to fight back to the dressing room whilst fans are trying to stab them. Did this stuff every REALLY happen regularly like they claim? Are they exaggerating "fans threw shit into the ring" to "a full scale riot broke out, and I had to start punching fans to get back to the showers"?

Yeah, everyone seems to say this. It probably happened in the South more often because they're generally more gullible people, but the severity & frequency has to be exaggerated hugely. How could a wrestler fight off 300 fans on the way backstage who were also trying to stab him? They weren't that tough, FFS. Cornette even claims he had to do it all the time & fight people off with his tennis racket, and he's not even a wrestler.

There seems to be an element of truth to this sort of thing in Mexico.

Whilst searching for that, I found a quality bit of Ox Baker.

The other one I like is 'if you think me and ______ had good matches, you should've seen our matches that weren't filmed. They were the best matches ever. Everyone agreed. But you'll never see them because they weren't taped'.

Like it's not enough to be complimented on their good matches. They have to one up it and say you missed their best stuff. They were actually even better than you thought but only the crowd of 25 and a half people in a barn in Dicklick, Arkansas saw it.

Dicklick, Arkansas is twinned with Bumfuck, Alabama.

• Paid Members

It's probably the same way all the old wrestlers talk about their angles - they all say that the fans knew it was mostly fake - but their stuff; their stuff was real.

The other one I like is 'if you think me and ______ had good matches, you should've seen our matches that weren't filmed. They were the best matches ever. Everyone agreed. But you'll never see them because they weren't taped'.

listened to an old Flair/Angle podcast the other day and Flair claimed that an un-taped match he saw Angle have with Taker in Japan was amongst the best ever saw.

• Paid Members

See I believe it more when they're on about someone else's matches. It's when they're talking about their own stuff I roll my eyes because I always get the impression they're just bigging themself up as being even better than you thought.

It was common for the top heels of a territory or a heel travelling through to cause riots and be attacked by fans. Bobby Heenan I believe had piss thrown over him on a couple of occasions, was hit by a wooden chair and stabbed in the leg with a knitting needle by an elderly lady sitting front row. Freddie Blassie had a gun pulled on him and would have been hit if it wasn't for somebody pushing the guys arm before he shot, the bullet flew by Blassies ear he said he could almost feel the wind from it as it went by. Ole Anderson was stabbed in the chest after winning back the NWA World Tag Titles with Gene Anderson from I think it was Dino Bravo and his partner Tim Woods if I remember correct. I can't recall but their was a mid card wrestler stabbed in the arse while making his way from the ring and he either died or almost died because the knife was dirty, he walked in to the dressing room with the knife still stuck in.

The Puerto Rico territory was notorious for riots and I remember reading that because the fans were getting so angry and almost at riot point Ric Flair dropped the NWA title to some mid card guy just to appease the fans (the switch wasnt recognised in the NWA World Title reign history). I recently read also that Ivan and Nikitta Koloff were so hated that there was an occasion when again the fans were near to riot the promoter was forced to play the American National Anthem to calm the fans down.

You have to remember these were the days of kayfabe and fans really believing that wrestlers were actual 'bad-guys' riots in wrestling during the 50s were common in Madison Square Garden for instance when the Fabulous Kangaroos faced Antonino Rocca and Miguel Perez.

There seems to be an element of truth to this sort of thing in Mexico.

Whilst searching for that, I found a quality bit of Ox Baker.

Love one of the fans throwing a Lawler-like punch on the other wrestler as he was legging it.

"Our angle got over so huge that not only did we sell out the building, we turned 2000 fans away at the door. On a Wednesday. In a Blizzard"

It's refreshing to hear Kevin Sullivan on his podcast say "the beer was a little colder, the women were hotter, the arena was sold out" as a joke on old timers memories.

It's probably the same way all the old wrestlers talk about their angles - they all say that the fans knew it was mostly fake - but their stuff; their stuff was real.

Like it's not enough to be complimented on their good matches. They have to one up it and say you missed their best stuff. They were actually even better than you thought but only the crowd of 25 and a half people in a barn in Dicklick, Arkansas saw it.

That's what Dicklick handhelds are for. Better keep them under the mattress just in case the label be wrongly interpreted.

Archived