daniel bryan retires

Loligan

I find the whole Punk thing so bonkers, because he quite evidently is not very athletic at all. This is on top of his body being held together with Pritt-Stick.

Who is athletic here? Malbranque is I think. I'm firmly convinced that Scott Malbranque would beat the piss into Punk after a few month's of training.

It's not even the fact that he's not every athletic, it's more his skill level that makes it all so mental. There are plenty of reasonably unathletic guys in MMA who can still compete due to their skill level, but Punk is basically a white belt in BJJ, has no amateur wrestling pedigree, and no real striking background.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, David's right.

MMA has plenty of 'unathletic' guys (and by that I mean non-freak, world class athletes) who succeed on skill; Demian Maia is not a super athlete, neither is Anderson Silva or Chris Weidmann or a bunch of heavyweights.

But, if you haven't got the freak skill level (white belt in BJJ, no wrestling and no striking), you've not got years to learn (he's 37) and you're not a super athlete (he's definitely, definitely not) you're in trouble. Particularly with a laundry list of injuries.

I also think people get confused by what it means to be an 'athlete'. Punk's probably a super, super fit guy. He's not jacked, granted, but that's not an indicator either. Being fit, or jacked,doesn't mean you're a natural athlete, someone who's body is naturally limber, supple, resistant to injury and consistently able to perform at a top level regardless of duration or intensity of training. There's very few on the earth. And Punk's never been one.

To apply that to wrestling, there's a bunch of guys who look FANFUCKINTASTIC but they're not world class athletes. Triple H isn't, Randy Orton isn't etc etc

• Paid Members

I don't think he meant "Athletic" in fairness. More lacking a background in any applicable genuine sports. Has he even had a fight playing Ice Hockey? Both completely correct. Which is what made his original decision so baffling. At least get the fuck kicked out of you and show you've had the balls to do it. The stalling makes him look stupid.

• Paid Members

I don't think he meant "Athletic" in fairness. More lacking a background in any applicable genuine sports. Has he even had a fight playing Ice Hockey? Both completely correct. Which is what made his original decision so baffling. At least get the fuck kicked out of you and show you've had the balls to do it. The stalling makes him look stupid.

Yeah, I meant more along the lines of what Rick is saying. It's possible to succeed in MMA without being a 'super athlete'. But the fact that Punk is miles away from being a super athlete, coupled with no background in other sports (plus age and injuries) really makes it feel a baffling decision. I can't see him ever getting in the cage.

Yeah, I meant more along the lines of what Rick is saying. It's possible to succeed in MMA without being a 'super athlete'. But the fact that Punk is miles away from being a super athlete, coupled with no background in other sports (plus age and injuries) really makes it feel a baffling decision. I can't see him ever getting in the cage.

It's just when you mentioned Malbranque is all.

The thing is, whilst Punk certainly isn't to the level of most UFC fighters, he has been training virtually five or six days a week at a top class MMA gym, so the chances of someone who's athletic beating the piss out of him after a few months training are very slim.

The UFC are approaching it as best they can, and they're putting him in with a guy who's 2-0 and isn't very experienced, but most people still think the other guy (who's younger by quite a bit) will win.

Personally, I always assumed they'd have brought someone like Ken Shamrock in on a one fight deal to put on a kind of exhibition fight with Punk.

• Paid Members

I meant if Malbranque had done the Punk schedule for a year, or whatever it has been. Not if he'd been pissing about down the local gym once a week, that would be insane. Could have been clearer (me that is).

You're right regarding Shamrock. For a relative casual like me, I would have loved to have seen that.

I was even hoping they'd maybe have taken into account that he's more of a grappler than a striker as far as his training goes (he did train BJJ on & off during his time with WWE) and paired him with Royce Gracie or someone similar.

Then, when he get's beat they can at least say that he lost to Royce Gracie rather than Joe Nobody who's 2-0.

The whole situation is baffling.

Keith Harris has a far better write up than I could do here-

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2016/3/31/11340738/daniel-bryan-documentary-wwe-edited-off-concussion-footage-smackdown

Meltzer had some more details on the old radio yesterday basically saying Bryan isn't happy at all about being forced into retirement.

Did he really skip his mother in laws wedding? And if so, was it just to avoid the WWE bigwigs who would be there for good old Johnny Ace?

Archived