Sometimes weird shit happens when I go to sleep

stumobir

• Moderators

That's called a hypnic jerk.

I used to get sleep paralysis in my teens but haven't had it in a very long time. My wife sometimes has nightmares and shouts my name out in her sleep, because she wants me to wake her up. That tends to wake me up with a real start and scare the crap out of me, but it's not really my sleep disorder, it's hers. Annoying thing is she falls back asleep instantly and I'm lying there with my heart pounding out my chest...

Conversely, the other day she woke me up because she thought I was doing the same thing but I was actually laughing in my sleep because I was having a really entertaining dream that she woke me up out of :(

Also, one time a few years ago, I had a dream that was actually so boring I woke myself up. I remember consciously thinking in my dream how tedious it was, and I was going to wake up because I shouldn't have to put up with this, and I did.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can often drift in to a lucid dream but find it's only if I'm totally relaxed and not thinking about work stresses or the like before bed time.  Once I'm in the dream I can make active choices about what I'm doing, although I wish I was a little bit better at it because they often only last for a very short time.

I also get the jerking-awake-when-falling thing but usually only if I've fallen asleep when I don't want to, maybe in front of the tv or yesterday when it happened int he bath.  I always figured it was my mind's way of keeping me awake.  Another thing I do is talk in my sleep.  I'm usually aware of it happening as it wakes me up but sometimes the missus will fill me in on some really random shit I've been saying.

Minor stuff aside the only time I've had anything scary was over 10 years ago when I was briefly on Tramadol.  I'd been attacked quite badly coming home from the pub one night and when I got out of hospital they gave me these.  I only took them for two days because both mornings, after taking them at night time, I woke up drenched in sweat and was hallucinating.  Scared my wee mum half to death by telling her she had to get this sword out of my side and then gibbering in words that made no sense.  Never taken anything stronger than paracetamol since, even when I broke my leg.

• Paid Members

I'll go into a very light sleep where my conscious thoughts gradually morph into dreams and then I'll jolt myself awake. Those are the ones that tend to confuse me as I don't realise I've fallen asleep, and I'll often try and talk to the people that appeared once the dreaming took over.

This tends to happen when I drop off watching TV. I'll be dreaming that I'm watching the same program, but then it'll just go all Digbyweird and when I wake up, I'm still sat there watching the same program, but it's shifted back to the regular version.

I always thought that jerk sensation was your heart slowing down ready for sleep but you wern't asleep enough to not notice it.

I quite regularly wake up laughing. I literally laugh more in my sleep then i do when i'm awake.

I get something similar to the "sleep demon" feeling. Rather than seeing anything though, I hear something in the room which then slowly starts to creep up my body. The worst bit is I know when it's about to happen and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

Another odd sleep related thing I get is that now and again is getting numbers stuck in my head. No specific numbers, I just "say" random numbers in my head and it just doesn't stop - I'm not trying to work out any mathematical problem, or count anything, I just think "20, 45, 12, 294, 99" etc. I can't get to sleep because of it. Quite annoying/odd.

I do that weird spasm thing when I'm just about to drop off all the time. More like a Devon Dudley table sell than a HBK nip-up, though.

What a fantastic way to describe it! Happens to me all the time.

The past few nights I've been having really strange, really vivid dreams that have to be manifestations of my subconscious, and they're starting to paint a somewhat fascinating yet somewhat worrying picture. I smoked weed every day for a couple of years and have given it up recently so I was fully prepared for this to happen, but it's still jarring how much more vivid and regularly occurring they are than even a few weeks ago. I've even taken to trying to find out what things mean, some of it makes sense but I'm having to do some real soul searching to get to the bottom of some of them. I've yet to analyse last night's because I'm not sure I'll like what they say about me.

I don't think I've ever had sleep paralysis, it sounds like I would know for sure if I had. The thought of it fucking terrifies me though. It's bad enough when I have a nightmare and wake myself up with some sort of pathetic, stifled whimper of a scream, I can't fathom not being able to instinctively wake myself.

• Paid Members

Every couple of months I get the sleep paralysis thing previously mentioned. Basically for me my mind wakes up 100% but my body doesn't wake up at all. I can just about manage to scream, which in reality is a little whimper, and my other half knows its me telling her to wake me up. Then I go back off to sleep until the morning.

If im on my own I just have to wait there until it ends. It was horrible at first but its normality now.

I can't imagine having that, and then having some sort of hag crawl towards me. Fucking hell

Jesus, I'm glad I don't suffer from any of this, apart from the hypnic jerk. I read an interesting paper once that suggested it was a trait we developed when we lived in the trees. It obviously went into great detail but I won't bore you with that when we could be talking about hags and swords.

Every couple of months I get the sleep paralysis thing previously mentioned. Basically for me my mind wakes up 100% but my body doesn't wake up at all. I can just about manage to scream, which in reality is a little whimper, and my other half knows its me telling her to wake me up. Then I go back off to sleep until the morning.

If im on my own I just have to wait there until it ends. It was horrible at first but its normality now.

I can't imagine having that, and then having some sort of hag crawl towards me. Fucking hell

This describes what happens to me down to a tee. I imagine I'm trying to rock myself side to side to wake up but in reality don't think I am at all

My hypnic jerk now prevents me and the wife from sleeping spooning. Now she kicks me off to get me to roll over. Annoying though, especially as she drops off at the drop of a hat and just as I get comfy I get possessed by Earl Hebner.

Are sleep paralysis and night terrors connected? I've had two instances in the past year of something scary. Both times, I've been aware I'm dreaming but want to wake up from something particularly uncomfortable, usually some creature (or in one case, the front half of my mum's Jack Russell) slowly crawling trying to get into my mouth. Both times I've wanted to wake up, but nothing's happened, so I try to make a noise to get my wife to wake me. In my state, I'm screaming but my mouth feels tied shut like when Neo gets his lips melted together in The Matrix, but when I finally wake, apparently I was just blowing really roughly through my teeth.

When you're in that sleep paralysis stage (where you're awake but can't move) I saw online once that if you wiggle your toes it helps wake you up.

I adopted this technique last time it happened to me and it did wake me up quite quick

Archived