Sometimes weird shit happens when I go to sleep

stumobir

I've had a recurring dream over the years where I'm playing football, I'm clean through on goal, but I can't run and I'm unable to get the ball out of my feet. This weekend I had a variation where I was a Quarterback. I'm 5'6, so every time I got the ball, I couldn't see anything, so I just tried to throw it anywhere and I messed it up every time.

I'm sure it's evidence of some deep rooted psychological disorder.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Also, one time a few years ago, I had a dream that was actually so boring I woke myself up. I remember consciously thinking in my dream how tedious it was, and I was going to wake up because I shouldn't have to put up with this, and I did.

I consciously wake myself from dreams all the time, not because they're boring but because they're getting scary. I have only noticed myself being able to do this in the past couple of years though. It's weird, because it's not like a lucid dream where I have any control over what is unfolding, but if I find myself in real peril in a dream I can completely break character and say to myself "nope, fuck this shit... I'm tapping out" and then I will wake myself up. No night terrors for me, I'm outta there!

It's a bit frustrating in the sense that in my dream I can know that I am in my dream and yet the only ability I've been able to derive from this awareness is that of flight, not fight. I'm still waiting for my Neo moment to come...

WgkAEAi.gif

So fucking glad I've never had to put up with that sleep paralysis stuff, it sounds terrifying. I've read a lot of those stories about people having demons sitting on them or whatever, it's creepy as fuck. 

I've been getting sleep paralysis a lot lately. I found that i'd only really get it if I slept in certain places for some reason, like occasionally in the bed back at my parents house but absolutely always on the couch there if I slept on my right side. Then in the fat never in bed but again, always on the couch if on my right side. Lately though i've had it just anywhere which is pretty worrying because now there's nowhere I can assume i'm safe from it. I've had it on mates floors before in rooms full of people which is fucking horrifying when you're trying to shout for one of them to just boot you up the arse so you wake up out of it but can't move.

The most annoying thing about it is I tend to go through a period of dreaming i'm in the exact position i'm in, so it's impossible to decipher whether you're actually kicking out of it and waking up and totally free of it to slowly realising you've spent about 2 minutes totally frozen and your own brain has fucked you over completely. After having it for years there's still no getting used to it. When you finally realise it's happening you know like always it's going to be fine if you just concentrate on breathing and stop trying to kick out, but it's another to remain totally calm when you're paralyzed completely

• Paid Members

I barely ever remember my dreams — most of the scary ones I've had involve the mechanical spiders from the Tom Selleck film Runaway. However, last night I had a terrible nightmare, where I'd taken money to help terrorists plant a bomb on a bus. I was trying to get rid of a weirdly elaborate receipt, and mid-dream I woke up... or did I? I spoke to my wife, and suddenly she handed me part of the receipt, and told me that she'd found it, and didn't want to know what it was, because she knew it was bad.

• Paid Members

Also, one time a few years ago, I had a dream that was actually so boring I woke myself up.

I once had a dream where I got on the train at Bath Spa Station and had a completely non-eventful journey to Salisbury Station. The highlight was when I bought a packet of Opal Fruits from the buffet cart. I don't know what Sigmund Freud would manage to divine from that? Probably that I'm a fucking dullard.

I used to have a recurring dream where is killed someone and hid it in the loft. It literally went on for years. Last time.i had it was last year, around the summer.

It was horrible, i was always terrified someone would find it and sometimes when i was awake id get moments of.panic thinking about it until i realised it wasnt real.

Whenever i dreamt about it,.it always felt so real as well. Had it once every couple.of months.

Really freaky stuff.

If we're moving on to recurring dreams I occasionally have ones that involve my teeth breaking, cracking or falling out in general.

There's definitely a subconscious thing going on there because I didn't take particularly good care of my gnashers when I was younger and I've had loads of fillings and dental work done already. I wake up in a sweaty panic, stick my tounge around my mouth to find everything is still there and then breathe a huge, audible sigh of relief.

Page on the NHS website about Sleep Paralysis http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Sleep-paralysis/Pages/Causes.aspxIf you get it reguarly they can treat it with low dose anti-depressants. What is weird and doesn't get a mention on the NHS website are the references to demons/other weird creatures that people see and/or hear when they experience SP too, there's a webpage here about it here http://www.nosleeplessnights.com/sleep-paralysis-stories-intruder-demon-or-delusion/ The seeing demon(s) etc is quite common when all things considered it should simply be that your body's paralyzed itself temporarily, with no need for anyone to hear/see anything out of the ordinary. I'm also wondering if certain medication(s) either cause or contribute to sleep paralysis, or whether it's just something that can happen to anyone at any time. Another website about it too http://www.thesleepparalysisproject.org/ 

I don't take any meds or any pills (even for headaches) as I just can't stand them and only had Sleep Paralysis the once, I'm sure its linked with stress/lack of sleep etc. 

I can also snap myself out of dreams too now, like you know something bad is going to happen so you wake yourself up, then sometimes you fall back into the same dream and do so again and again.

Dreams are fascinating though, like I have had dreams where it feels like I know someone (e.g. a girl) and everything feels real but its not anyone I know or have met, people will say you've definitely met them as you've dreamt about them but I'm adamant I haven't.   

If we're moving on to recurring dreams I occasionally have ones that involve my teeth breaking, cracking or falling out in general.

I've got shit teeth and I have that every dream every few months or so. But yeah, I knew it was a common dream and linked to anxiety.

• Paid Members

I think my wee daughter suffers with it. I can sometimes hear her whimpering in her sleep.
Ironically enough after yesterdays discussions, I went for a piss around 3am last night/this morning and heard the tiniest whipmer coming from her room. Went down and she was stationary, making squeaking noises so I put my hand on her chest and it snapped her out of it.

Said it to the missus this morning and she said I'm being over protective and paranoid, but if I remember having Sleep Paralysis since the age of 5, then surely it must be considered?

• Paid Members

She'll be 3 in April, Chest. I have a near 15 year old with my ex too...so he's the elder one.

I know, I'm probably overreacting, but after yesterdays discussions on here and my suspicions in the past, I had a bit of a panic for her thinking "Well, it can't be just coincidence. It has to be a sign” coz I’m admittedly idiotic when it comes to believing in faith and things happening for a reason.
Might have taken this one a bit far though, boss.

It’d be just horrible for a 2 year old to be going through that...so me oul Millhouse was broken last night for her.

Archived