Best finish to a match

DraxSpago

What's the best finish to a match ever? Subjective as it is, I'd say Austin/Rock at WM19, the crowd are almost silent when Austin's staggering around before turning into the final Rock Bottom

Plus there's no US soap opera level acting like HBK at Mania 24

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'll be honest, there are several jumping into my head but they are all for different reasons ; creativity of the actual moves performed, the story of the match playing a part in the finish/payoff. significance of the match, storyline, pop produced etc.

I'm get a post later but fair warning, it's likely to be TL:DR for many of you.

• Paid Members

Bret vs. Piper at WM8 and the retread of it at Survivor Series 1997 with Austin. Just magnificent reversals that brillitanly play on both guys strengths. I wow'd at both of them.

If we're talking in terms of pops, I dunno if you can top Goldberg beating Hogan for the belt at the Georgia Dome in 1998. That's up there for loud and for sheer fucking joy on people's faces but on an incredible scale.

I forget which mania it was But the foley vs edge flaming table spot was insane.

The rock vs austin wm17/wm19 are tied for me because both still to this day give me goosebumps.

3 that came to mind....

Bret winning the KOTR '93, this event holds such a place in my heart, it is what tipped me over the edge as a Bret fan, man he played the wounded warrior so well, got thrown about by Bam Bam for ages and finally with one last effort he had in him secured the victory roll and the win, I love Bret's finishes to matches.

HBK/Taker at Mania 26, the defiance of Michaels, the brief almost sympathetic response by Taker as he allowed him to his feet and looked at him thinking "are you right sharp, stay down", then his crazed reaction to the slap, ending a brilliant match, and career.

Last one.....Mankind's title win in Jan '99, not a very good match, but THAT finish, when Austin's music hit I swear the fucking building nearly collapsed, still the loudest pop i have heard, waffles Rock, flips off McMahon and the Corporation and just fucks off, leaving Mick to win the title. It just encapsulated the attitude era for me in about 1 minute, and I fucking loved it.

Backlash 2000 main event The Rock vs Triple H.

Just the perfect attitude era style booking where they throw absolutely everything at you but the characters involved are so strong and the end result is the one the fans want. From Austin coming out right to the Rock getting the pin it's fucking bedlam. People are actually jumping up and down in joy when the match ends.

A lot won't agree because it's an absolute clusterfuck but I loved The Rock v HHH finish at Judgement Day to the Iron Man match when Undertaker returned.

Yeah I would add this one too.

Also at the time Punk/Cena was an amazing finish and loved seth winning last year when cashing in at Mania. 

Archived