Celebrity Big Brother 2017

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Yeah, it seems like she was removed for a specific post made when she was 14 or 15 regarding the 9/11 attacks, using some kind of racial slur.

If it's that that's gotten her kicked out, I do think it's a little harsh. If she continues to express those views, then that's a different story.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

When I was 14 I probrably would have said the same.  What’s the point of moving on and growing as a person if what you said when you were young and foolish will always be held over you.  Jim Davidson made a career of saying similar things, and they let the bastard win.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Thunderplex said:

When I was 14 I probrably would have said the same.  What’s the point of moving on and growing as a person if what you said when you were young and foolish will always be held over you.  Jim Davidson made a career of saying similar things, and they let the bastard win.

This is also a company who billed the last Celebrity Big Brother around all the housemates having scandals attached to their names.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Thunderplex said:

You know what, I'm really not trying to blow my own trumpet or anything, but when I was 14 I would have known that saying the things that she's said (and there's a fair bit more where that came from) was absolutely dead wrong. I just think that the 'we all do / say stupid things when we're young' excuse shouldn't be used as such a catch-all excuse all the time.

7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I just think that the 'we all do / say stupid things when we're young' excuse shouldn't be used as such a catch-all excuse all the time.

Especially if the stuff you were saying was about supporting the BNP, then over a decade later make out all rural folk are racists.  (You can set your watch by me, Spurs!)

• Paid Members

I don't really have any response to that other than to say that me showing support at 14 years old for the BNP should perhaps be also looked at in the context of the time. I was 14 during the BNPs 'rise' and an impressionable young mind can be brought along quite easily with propaganda. But I don't believe I've ever made a racial slur (such as 'paki'), even with my at the time support of the BNP. Additionally, my support of them was limited pretty much to one thread here on this forum. It wasn't like I joined the party and went out on marches with them. I personally think my 'excuse' is perfectly valid and that showing support for an actual, racist party isn't comparable, really, with a hypergeneralised comment about rural folk that wasnt really meant to be taken seriously.

In the case of the Big Brother contestant, her age has a bearing, even if others own experiences as a teenager were different, and they'd never said anything offensive in their lives. The context of the time has less of a bearing because by the point, and long before that point, the word 'paki' was not, as often claimed, simply short hand for 'the Pakistani shop" for example. But kids and teenagers are products of those around them. If her mum and dad and other friends and relations were using racial slurs in casual conversation, a 14 year old is likely to pick that up. So, again, if the whole reason she's been kicked is this tweet from 2014, when she was 14 years old, I think it's harsh and is also a demonstration of the fact that social media and how you act on those platforms can have repucussions for the rest of your life. I was lucky. My bullshit was confined to a niche of a niche internet forum - UK wrestling fans - and not on a platform where somebody is likely to ever see or mention it again, other than those here that know about it already.

Edit: so I guess I did actually have a response for that.

• Paid Members

My other half has just started the latest series and has got the live launch on. The moral compass must be a bit skewed (shock) as one housemate in his opening VT casually mentions that he’s been in big trouble in the past with drugs, theft and violence. No problem - in you go! 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You know what, I'm really not trying to blow my own trumpet or anything, but when I was 14 I would have known that saying the things that she's said (and there's a fair bit more where that came from) was absolutely dead wrong. I just think that the 'we all do / say stupid things when we're young' excuse shouldn't be used as such a catch-all excuse all the time.

It’s not as much an excuse, more of an explanation.  Where I grew up (Wythenshawe area), there was very little diversity.  At that age the influence of parents were still a thing.  The fact that my dad used the phrase, along with many others I would never use or allow people round me to use now, made it right.  Only with time, and experience, I found my own way and opinion.  It wasn’t to the point of joining the National Front or anything that extreme, just a sign of the era and community.  Not sure how old you are, but I think I have a good 10 years + on you at least.  Maybe things had progressed by then.

For me you pretty much get a pass for all but the really bad stuff that people do when  they're kids. Its how they represent themselves once they're old enough to know their own minds. Its probably because I grew up around some proper dodgy fuckers where I was 'the good one' which basically meant I was polite and never stole stuff. I lived in a town where the few black people were known as 'black' insert Christian name. My dad was/is a racist 'im not racist but...' closeted Tory and my mum was pretty tolerant compared to others.

This all resulted in me basically turning a blind eye to all sorts just to fit in and having a tolerance that I wouldn't be comfortable with now. I do think that if I'd grown up and lived in a more multicultural environment I'd probably feel different though.

I haven't watched it yet but it turns out this Cian bloke - the gay Irish farmer - worked with us for the past few months. He was on the day shift when I was on nights so we never talked much, but it's a bit mental. Only a bit, mind you. It always seemed like they were doing so many Big Brothers that it'd only be a matter of time before you, your mum or someone you knew just woke up on one.

• Awards Moderator

Using the power of maths I deduce that if she wrote that tweet in 2014 when she was 14, she's 18 now. My son is 18 and grew up in a very white area. With absolute conviction he knows what 'paki' means and what it really means and that it's not a nice word to use. He would've known it at 14 for sure. From the context of her tweet she knows it's a malicious word too and is choosing to use it in that context.

I would prefer she was confronted with it and discussed rather than booted out completely - it needs shining a light on rather than being dismissed to be ignored.

Archived