Something happening at TNA

wrestleuk

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Hopefully it's just that TNA has been replaced by a clock.

:thumbsup:

WGN is a weird one, really — they have cornered the market on using telephone booths to advertise all of their syndicated comedy reruns, which make up the bulk of what's on the network. For a relatively notable channel, it's stuck way up the dial (on Time Warner Cable, anyway), so I forget it's even there, although I was watching old episodes of 30 Rock on there recently.

I just don't genuinely think that there is a market out there for 2 competing brands to make money or enough of a  fan-base for TNA to mount anything resembling a competition to WWE.

Just think in 10 years TNA has had massive stars working for them:

Hogan

Sting

Booker T

Angle

Jeff hardy

Dudley Boys

RVD

Hall

Nash

Foley

Flair

all BIG names in the industry and the ratings were still pretty static. This just shows that TNA had grasped the remaining market share of fans and there was nothing left.

There are a number of things that stop TNA from being a legit threat

1. TNA doesn't have the money that WCW had in the mid 90's to literally throw silly money at everyone and everything to buy success.

2. This is the internet age and the world is a different place than when WWE had legit competition

3. Saturation. This is 20 years on and 20 years + more footage that is available. Nothing is new or fresh, + the attitude era has been done. 

4. WWE(F) is a GLOBAL brand, far bigger than it was when WCW was able to land punches on it. It is slick as hell, and has massive sponsors, unparalleled production values and is a supremely oiled machine. Anything that comes up against it will by default look inferior.

and the biggest one:

it is a mess. They're repeatedly done stupid things. For every great thing they have done they've done 3 bad:

wasted money

upset talent

put out rotten TV

Allowed performers to go out in no fit state ( 'high' Hard or 'drunk' Hall)

wrote nonsensical plots

and just churned out dross.

In short i think they're lucky they have managed to get the ratings they have. The even sadder thing is that i was a fan. After WCW folded i needed my Sting and nWo fix but there was so much that even i could endure.

Constantly rebooting as well has just created total apathy as well

• Paid Members

Seems TNA is reaching out to Goldberg as well. Seems to be appearing in a new movie with Bram and they want to promote it for him. Wouldn't be surprised if the announcement was TNA signing with WGN but that they've signed Goldberg as well. Pretty sure that could probably bring Angle back for a one off as well.

• Paid Members

Seems TNA is reaching out to Goldberg as well. Seems to be appearing in a new movie with Bram and they want to promote it for him. Wouldn't be surprised if the announcement was TNA signing with WGN but that they've signed Goldberg as well. Pretty sure that could probably bring Angle back for a one off as well.

Has Kurt Angle ever wrestled Goldberg? There’s a match waiting to happen if not. I’d also love to hear the knock-off theme TNA would come up with for Goldberg.

Just to add to JRPO's list...

Also keep in mind that there has never been a longer period that a megastar has not been developed outside of WWE, due to that length of time they have been without any real competition there is also therefore no-one TNA can capitalise on. Your Sting's, Flair's, Goldberg's etc.

They aren't big enough now to develop their own megastar to get the mainstream interest and they also aren't able to "steal" anyone (of considerable note) from WWE. The window of opportunity to be an actual threat closed long, long ago.

The only way anyone could ever be even closely considered as a competitor to WWE now is they have a boat load of money, TV connections already in place and have awesome timing in terms of being able to take established, big name, talent, we are talking A-list talent too. They finally need a product that is half-decent. TNA don't check a single box.

Archived