Favourite Build-Ups Ever

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

As mentioned, the WM25 build to HHH vs Randy Orton has to be one of the most compelling of recent wrestling history. The build made it feel like a real blood feud, as if I would remember where I was and who i was with when I witnessed the classic of my time.

The angle with Steph selling the RKO like death, HHH screaming at Orton was incredible. It was the first time in years I thought "sh*t did that ACTUALLY just happen?!" Even the hokey HHH going to Orton's house was fun because it felt important.

Both did well building the match (even if it was perhaps 2 weeks too long) and it was the first main event in 7 years that I actually wanted to see and cared about the result.

What happened after the bell rang was a disgrace but the build is still one of my wow moments of wrestling.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm always fascinated when people say they enjoyed the build up to Orton vs. Triple H at Wrestlemania 25, as it's quite possibly one of the worst builds ups I can remember. Certainly for a Wrestlemania main event, I can't think of much worse, and that includes Brock vs. Roman Reigns. As a whole, I thought Randy vs. Hunter was a complete mess and absolutely dreadful. It started off amazing, when Orton booted Vince in the head, but with each passing week it made less and less sense, made Orton less and less of a star, and absolutely reeked of a writing team that were making it up as they went along, had no coherent plan, and we're throwing shit at the wall and hoping something stuck.

First Randy, after coming across like the next Stone Cold Steve Austin the week previous, was booked to get battered by a pudgy Shane McMahon, cowering and running away from some of the shittest punches ever seen on WWE TV. Then they had Randy announce that he had some stupid condition that made him lash out at people, like he was disabled or something, then you had the goofy stuff in the house that again made him look like a chump, and then in the final week they attempted a tenuous, nonsensical explanation about how it was all supposed to tie in with Randy getting revenge from getting the boot from Evolution years earlier. By the end of it I didn't care what happened at the show itself because everyone involved looked like a dickhead and both guys had less momentum than when the whole thing started.

Complete crap.

• Paid Members

I'm always fascinated when people say they enjoyed the build up to Orton vs. Triple H at Wrestlemania 25, as it's quite possibly one of the worst builds ups I can remember. Certainly for a Wrestlemania main event, I can't think of much worse, and that includes Brock vs. Roman Reigns. As a whole, I thought Randy vs. Hunter was a complete mess and absolutely dreadful. It started off amazing, when Orton booted Vince in the head, but with each passing week it made less and less sense, made Orton less and less of a star, and absolutely reeked of a writing team that were making it up as they went along, had no coherent plan, and we're throwing shit at the wall and hoping something stuck.

First Randy, after coming across like the next Stone Cold Steve Austin the week previous, was booked to get battered by a pudgy Shane McMahon, cowering and running away from some of the shittest punches ever seen on WWE TV. Then they had Randy announce that he had some stupid condition that made him lash out at people, like he was disabled or something, then you had the goofy stuff in the house that again made him look like a chump, and then in the final week they attempted a tenuous, nonsensical explanation about how it was all supposed to tie in with Randy getting revenge from getting the boot from Evolution years earlier. By the end of it I didn't care what happened at the show itself because everyone involved looked like a dickhead and both guys had less momentum than when the whole thing started.

Complete crap.

I have to agree I didn't enjoy the build as a whole. The Vince head kick and the KO Steph kiss where both great moments I think that may put it higher in peoples estimation than mine.

• Paid Members

Bret/Austin for Survivor Series 1996. Simple but effective. From what I recall, Bret wanted to come back to face the man he thought was the best - Austin. Meanwhile, Austin was really starting to find his way and there is a really good black and white video package hyping it. It also has some decent lines from both which really outline their characters. Austin simply says something along the lines of "Put an S in front of hit man and you know what I think of Bret", while Bret has a more old-school vibe and talks about MSG, "it's not a church, but it is holy ground".

I can't remember who says it but there is something about "they say people dream in black and white but tonight you are going to be dreaming in red". Simple.

My favourite Austin, and very possibly all round from anyone, promo vid is for the build to SS 96.

"Pink tights, what the hells that all about Bret?

Sparklers and sunglasses, what a load of crap.

Bret, you say your comin back to continue a legacy, well I'm going make your come back a living hell. You'd better stat praying for some mercy right now.

Bret you quit the WWF, you quit, because Shawn Michaels, the pretty boy. The boy toy. He kicked your ass back to Canada. You couldn't face him and you couldn't face me. I don't dance son.

Sunday I'm gonna take 15 years of frustration and being pissed off out on you ass.

But think about it like this Bret, you can finally go on home, look yourself in the mirror and know you were beaten by a real man."

Its something like that, if any one can find it and link it it would be class, as I can do neither on my phone.

• Paid Members

Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker 26 - as previous mentioned. I also echo the Rhodes/Shield and Angle/Michaels love.

But if like to add:

Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 24. There was a tension after Vince gave Flair the "lose and your done" ultimatum which made for some interesting scenarios but you knew it was ending at Mania. Then when Michaels and Flair and Michaels started jousting and dick Michaels brought out super-passionate-heart-attack promo Ric Flair it was on!! Old Yella.

The build up to Daniel Bryan winning the WWE title at Mania 30, as completely unintentional as it was, from Summerslam they had me saying at every turn "surely they are building him to beat HHH or win the belt at mania". It's well documented that apparently they weren't but lo and behold he did!! And did both at that!! I can't think of the last organic babyface before him (though I can think of one since) and I can't think of anyone else who has gotten SO over in spite of WWE's best efforts. Makes me think they planned it all along...

That other babyface...I present Mr Sami Zayn.

Sami Zayn's quest for the NXT title Segway into Zayn vs Owens. I don't believe this one is finished yet and I'm convinced it will see the end of the NXT story.... With the start if the WWE chapter. I'd guess at Royal Rumble. Sami Zayn was having unbelievably great matches vs everyone but just couldn't win the belt. I thinks it's all on the network. Checkout his matches with Cesaro for the best of the bunch. Anyway it comes to the crunch, do or die for Zayn, he fights with his conscience, battles with everything in his body and spirit. Finally wins and then BLAMMO!! Kevin Owens on his debut night destroys him and his dreams. The promos and absolute dickishness from Owens in the build are great. And that carried through to their rematch. In fact this is still building!!! But I would probably back this as the best build to anything WWE have done in forever and the injury is helping it (check out this weeks promo from NXT for proof!)

Yeah I was thinking of the Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens stuff, and the bit with Neville leading to the title match should not be undervalued.

Apart from that, Batista splitting from Evolution was class. I dunno what else besides a couple things like Michaels/Taker and Benoit/Michaels/HHH, the storyline side of stuff has been mostly underwhelming for absolutely ages.

Maybe not best ever but I really enjoyed the build to Flair/savage at WM 8. The doctored photos in the wwf magazine(first Flair with Liz then being shown to have been Savage in the photos all along. And I also remember Okerlund visiting Flair on his yacht for more details of the affair. And another of Flair and Mr. Perfect having a picnic (could be wrong but Flairs sweater was a thing of beauty, second only to Jakes at SS91) and playing a cassette of an answer phone message from Liz. All building to the unveiling of the xxx pictures on the big screen. Having brain on commentary all the time to put it over. Also the phrase "shes damaged goods, she was mine before she was yours" and using "damaged goods" as a kid to describe any girl who had had more than 1 boyfriend didn't go down to well with my sister. Not the greatest ever build and not to the match that I feel should have been done. But the vignettes with Okerlund going to meet flair on his yacht and at the picnic are the kind of hokey stuff they either don't do or rarely get right these days.

Yeah, Sheamus could have done his job there really for the exact same crowd engagement and interest level. Still one of the most interesting builds to a match ever though. As was Cena's feud two years later.

As an entire event, WrestleMania 26 had a pretty top build. Except for the shitty Vince-Bret stuff, most of the other matches had a really good road to WrestleMania. I recall being more up for that PPV card than pretty much any other I can think of. Then the numbers came in and it was an utter disappointment and led to the Dwayne/Brock era, so I might be alone in enjoying it. The show itself was a letdown as well.

I don't know if this would count as the kind of thing you're looking for, but the interview Brock Lesnar gave ESPN in Wrestlemania week this year when he announced he'd be staying with WWE did more to hype me for that show than anything else did. That oone interview took it from being 'Brock's leaving, Reigns is a nailed on winner!' to a match with some real doubt who'd win.

Similarly, Vince unveiling the awesome set for Mania 29 did more to excite me for that Mania than any amount of Rock/Cena, Punk/Taker shenanigans.

• Paid Members
That was a good promo vid. I believe this was the first time they used Austin's Glass Shatters theme before he actually used it as his entrance music at Survivor Series 96.

He used it as his entrance music at In Your House : Buried Alive.

Hogan vs Savage was the WWF at their long-term booking best. A slow-burn that ignited with that terrific Saturday Night's Main Event angle. In a cartoon world this was a story built on universally human issues.

Also, Austin vs Undertaker, SummerSlam 1998. Like the aforementioned issue, the seeds were planted gradually (at least by the standards of the time) and led to monster business.

Archived