Favourite Build-Ups Ever

Liam O'Rourke

Not necessarily my all time favourite but one that sticks out is Mickie James v Trish Stratus.
Mickie's transition from giddy superfan into the psychotic lesbian obsessed with destroying Trish Stratus was a brilliantly paced (it lasted 5 months) and performed (Mickie was outstanding in the role but Trish played her part well also) build up that saw a decent match at WestleMania in front of great crowd heat. Only 'downside' was Mickie had got over so strong with her performances that she was turned babyface by the Chicago crowd when she should have been the mega heel.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent build up as far as Diva matches go, but it didn't go to plan at WrestleMania 22 when the crowd turned on Trish out of the blue. And they still continued the feud through Backlash even though stalker Mickie was really the babyface. Bit of a fuck up really.

Decent build up as far as Diva matches go, but it didn't go to plan at WrestleMania 22 when the crowd turned on Trish out of the blue. And they still continued the feud through Backlash even though stalker Mickie was really the babyface. Bit of a fuck up really.

It carried along nicely when Mickie dyed her hair blonde after she won and completed her transition into becoming Trish. It looked like a whole other dimension was added when Beth Phoenix debuted as someone from Mickie's past that she had previously done the same to but unfortunately Beth got injured and Trish retired so it never went beyond that.

Still, the build-up to Mania and direct post-match was good but the crowd turning Mickie face obviously scuppered things a smidge.

• Paid Members

Not necessarily my all time favourite but one that sticks out is Mickie James v Trish Stratus.

Mickie's transition from giddy superfan into the psychotic lesbian obsessed with destroying Trish Stratus was a brilliantly paced (it lasted 5 months) and performed (Mickie was outstanding in the role but Trish played her part well also) build up that saw a decent match at WestleMania in front of great crowd heat. Only 'downside' was Mickie had got over so strong with her performances that she was turned babyface by the Chicago crowd when she should have been the mega heel.

I loved that one too. Well-paced, but also the emotional transference from hero worship to adoration/attraction to jealousy/hatred was completely believable. Something a lot of the best stories have in common, from the Mega-Powers exploding to Shawn's obsession with the Undertaker, is clear portrayal of the integral players' emotional states and an ability for we fans to empathize or at least understand their motivation.

• Paid Members

As an entire event, WrestleMania 26 had a pretty top build. Except for the shitty Vince-Bret stuff, most of the other matches had a really good road to WrestleMania. I recall being more up for that PPV card than pretty much any other I can think of. Then the numbers came in and it was an utter disappointment and led to the Dwayne/Brock era, so I might be alone in enjoying it. The show itself was a letdown as well.

Yeah the number wasn't great after such a good build, but it's worth noting UFC held a big PPV the night before which featured GSP v Dan Hardy, which is still one of the best builds the company ever did, as well as an interm Heavyweight title match in the co-main.

Be interesting how that show would have done without a UFC supershow the night before. Cena v Batista was brilliant work from both men too.

At the time, that Punk MITB build felt like something completely different. The promos were A+ and Cena and Vince deserve as much credit as anybody for sitting back, selling and making Punk look like he was the biggest star ever.

Nexus was another summer feud that was great and fresh during the first month or two. Properly felt like Vince was on point during all of that, until it eventually fell apart once more. The debut alone was incredible, but it kept escalating until that big face off on Raw where the camera was shaking and it felt like the biggest match.

On the Nexus subject, I recall the run-up to Survivor Series 2010 Free or Fired fondly as well, but I'm not sure how good the build really was and how much of it was that awesome promo video. I'm also a sucker for a match presenting high/impossible stakes (like Shawn Michaels retiring), and at the time for some reason I didn't expect them to just go "lol fuck the stip" straight away. Barrett bullying Cena was great, though I definitely remember they didn't do enough of it. He should have been in the Nexus gear for a month.

The build to ONS 2006 counts here I think. Totally surreal, intriguing and exciting in equal measure. The viewer would be forgiven for thinking the new ECW would be absolutely ace

• Paid Members

On the Nexus subject, I recall the run-up to Survivor Series 2010 Free or Fired fondly as well, but I'm not sure how good the build really was and how much of it was

. I'm also a sucker for a match presenting high/impossible stakes (like Shawn Michaels retiring), and at the time for some reason I didn't expect them to just go "lol fuck the stip" straight away. Barrett bullying Cena was great, though I definitely remember they didn't do enough of it. He should have been in the Nexus gear for a month.

There was that cracking Pipers Pit on the go home where Piper was in rare on form and really put over the importance of Cena's potential options to him. 'Don't you spit in my face'.

• Paid Members

What makes that moment perfect is HHH, his face looks like he's genuinely shitting a kitten at the thought of facing Cactus Jack. He helped make what could easily have been sold by him as a tramp taking a mask off seem like the biggest threat in the world.

• Paid Members

Calling it the best ever may be pushing it, but I liked how they built up Bret Hart v Yokozuna for Wrestlemania 9. It was a classic formula really, fighting champion against an unstoppable fat bastard.

There was still an element of doubt that Yoko would win, which was quite remarkable seeing how small Bret was compared to the previous champions.

• Paid Members

Calling it the best ever may be pushing it, but I liked how they built up Bret Hart v Yokozuna for Wrestlemania 9. It was a classic formula really, fighting champion against an unstoppable fat bastard.

There was still an element of doubt that Yoko would win, which was quite remarkable seeing how small Bret was compared to the previous champions.

I loved the contract signing angle. They sold Bret getting up so soon after the Banzai Drop like it made him hard as fucking nails. I believed it as a kid too, it impressed me far more than anything Hogan and Warrior ever kicked out of or got up from, because they struck me as having bizarre supernatural powers, whereas "the Hitman" was just a regular bloke in pink that happened to be tough as anything. Seeing it so soon after Survivors 92 probably helped, as that main event made me think Bret was the most tenacious guy on the planet.

I want to thank everybody for the suggestions in this thread, we got to a lot of them on the show, which is now available to listen to at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/2h6fxu/SCGRadio47-TheBestBuildUpsinWrestlingHistory.mp3

Join us as talk about the all-time great build-ups in wrestling history, discussing the hype and storylines behind Hogan Vs. Sting, Sabu Vs. Taz, WrestleMania 3, Rock Vs. Austin, Austin Vs. Bret, Flair at Starrcade 93, Virgil and Batista's babyface turns, the journey of Book-Dust, Michaels Vs. Taker and many many more, and break down some of the best jobs creating anticipation we've ever seen. A fun trip down memory lane this week, check it out!

Archived