UFC 190: Rousey vs Correia

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With this being 7 fights on the main card is the PPV gonna be near 5 hours? I fucking hope not..

I am guessing that the UFC do not think that the likes of Ronda Rousey vs Bethe Correia, Shogun Rua vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Stefan Struve and Bigfoot Silva vs Soa Palelei will go the distance.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rousey v Correia I see being more like the first Rocky and Clubber Lang fight than Rocky 4. Rousey being Clubber in this case and Correia being Rocky. I don't think Correis is going to join a gym full of black guys and regain the eye of the tiger.

From her training today, these are pretty awesome:

10q9iro.jpg

34te32q.jpg

SkyBet are offering 6/1 on a Correia win (Ronda 1/12).

Sky Bet have the actual worst odds on the market at the moment as far as a Correia win goes, Bet Victor has her at 10/1 - everywhere else around 8 or 9 to 1.

• Paid Members

If Mayweather turned up at her gym she'd probably train with him too, especially if there was a photographer there like above. The thing people seem to be forgetting is that Rousey's a prick. None of these contradictions are surprising.

• Paid Members

I'm one of the biggest Rousey fans on here but yeah that's some serious hypocrisy right there.

Highlight of Shogun vs Little Nog 1;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=vjNoXuvvZtY

If you're on Fight Pass, watch the full thing. It's fantastic stuff.

I can't believe it's been ten years since that Pride Middleweight GP. That was Shogun's real coming out party. Until then he was just battering Japanese journeymen and nobodies on the Bushido shows. Then when Rampage got a dodgy decision over Ninja Rua, little brother Shogun stepped up and challenged Rampage to meet in the first round of the GP. It'd be like some Fight Pass guy challenging Rumble Johnson now.

And Shogun absolutely obliterated him. Stomped the shit out of him like he was De Niro kicking the shit out of Billy Batts in that scene in Goodfellas...

tumblr_mlwkkg9M4Q1qhndw9o1_400.gif

tumblr_mki58eJPNS1s0uiqbo1_500.gif

Rampage forgot his fucking shine box.

Then Shogun topped that performance with the epic against Little Nog. Probably my favourite fight in Pride history. It's either that or Diaz vs Gomi.

Yeah, Shogun's on his last legs now but Jesus Christ he was a beast back then.

So yeah, watch Shogun vs Nog 1 was my point.

I don't understand how so many people completely tolerate the fact that Mike Tyson is indeed a convicted rapist and are happy to act like it never happened.

As sad as it is, The Rock is amongst the worst for this.

• Paid Members

Big Nog.

q56cH.jpg

Most exciting heavyweight in MMA history?

When people talk about him they use words liked 'legend' and 'heart' and 'tough' etc. And of course, he's one of the most universally liked figures in the sport. But I don't think Nog actually gets enough credit as an exciting fighter. I can't think of another heavyweight who's had as many awesome fights as old 'Minotauro'.

cJZe.jpg

The Bob Sapp fight in August 2002 was ridiculous. Looking back it should never have happened. But it was the Wild West days of MMA and Pride didn't give a fuck about size difference. This fight, maybe more than any other in Nog's career, encapsulates what he was all about and why he's considered an all-time great these days. He took an ungodly beating. And this was back when Sapp wasn't yet a joke. Sapp was motivated and a serious threat training under Josh Barnett back then. He ragdolled poor Nog about, clubbed him with what seemed like about a thousand Donkey Kong hammerfists and even hit a scary as fuck inverted piledriver thingy right at the start of the fight. Somehow Nog survived all this and came through to slay the monster with an armbar.

2neO9.jpg

The following year Nog went to war with the scariest version of Mirko Cro Cop at Pride Final Conflict 2003. Cro Cop was coming off putting Igor Vovchanchyn out cold with a headkick and looked lethal. Like in the Sapp fight, Nog spent the ten minute opening round getting destroyed by the superior striking of Cro Cop. Even getting floored late in the round by Mirko's trademark headkick. Again, he somehow survived and came out in the second round and submitted Cro Cop with an incredible come from behind armbar.

OE7Ly.jpg

In 2006, Nogueira fought Josh Barnett twice. In September's Openweight GP Semi Finals and they rematched at December's Shockwave event. Two fantastic fights fought at a pace unlike heavyweights, tons of technique on display from two masters on the ground and exciting exchanges on the feet. Every time I've watched these fights I can't decide which one I like better. They're different but equally brilliant.

rgpsA.jpg

The Randy Couture fight in 2009 at UFC 102 was thought to be a bit of a weak main event at the time it was announced, as I recall. Both were coming off losses and looking like declining. Especially Nog, who was coming into the fight of maybe his worst showing ever in the first Frank Mir fight. He'd never looked worse than that fight. So this was pretty much just seen as keeping two fading legends busy. It turned out to be one of the best heavyweight fights ever. Looking back, it was both guys' last really great fight. It's a shame we were still in the days of three rounds for non-title main events because five rounds of Nogueira vs Couture on that night would've been magic.

Those fights above, for me anyway, would legitimately have to be in the top 5-10 heavyweight fights in MMA ever. And then you look at the rest of his career;

2nd Mir fight - yeah he lost but what a rollercoaster for drama and twists and turns. You won't find many better one round fights than this. Just a shame the ending was so horrible.

3 Herring fights - all memorable in their own right. The first one at Pride 17 is the best of the three. At the time it was unheard of to see two heavyweights fight at such a high pace like that and it was one of the first times Nog showed he could hang in a slugfest on the feet too. The second one had the sweet Anaconda choke finish. The third was Nog's UFC debut and true to form he had to dig deep and come back from adversity after taking a brutal headkick early. Great fights. Nog 3-0.

1st Fedor fight - Nog got beatdown by the successor to his throne but it was an epic fight at the time.

Kharitonov - this fight is criminally overlooked IMO. It's from the 2004 Heavyweight GP and it's fucking quality! Kharitonov was at his best here, in good shape, young and dangerous. And Nog was in maybe the best form of his career. If you haven't seen this fight give it a look if you can find it.

Even the fights late in his career when he's beat down, flabby and coming back off multiple surgeries (Schaub/Herman) were exciting. All that plus he sent Tim Sylvia packing out of the UFC!

In keeping with the Rocky IV theme of this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=P6UBd-OmPgs

Nog's the man. It's a shame that by the time he reached the UFC, his prime was already over but he's got to be in the top three or four heavyweights of all-time. And for me, he's the most exciting to watch in MMA history. The only other heavyweight who rivals Nog for sheer number of great fights is Mark Hunt, and I don't even think he's had quite as many barnburners.

If I was putting together a list of the top ten best heavyweight fights in MMA history, it'd be Hunt vs Bigfoot at #1 then Nog's fights would take up the bulk of the other nine spots.

Absolute legend.

• Paid Members

Great read Wand. yeah Big Nog's probably my favorite heavyweight ever, its a shame to see how far he's fallen physically, and its not nice seeing him getting laid out. I hope the Struve fight somehow takes FOTN, Nog wins via sub and he retires with a smile on his face.

So Ronda calls out Floyd Mayweather for domestic violence but has no problem training with convicted rapist Mike Tyson? Weird.

Yeah, but Mike seems to have been given a bit of the Ali treatment in his retirement. All of the shit he did and said as a fighter has been forgotten.

Archived