UFC 190: Rousey vs Correia

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

UFC 190 extended preview for the Rousey vs Correia and Shogun vs Nogueira 2 fights...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=N-bpByHvAZs

That's hit the spot. Can't wait for this one.

I'm probably more into this show than most to be fair, because three of my favourite fighters are on the card (Rousey, Shogun, Big Nog) but I am a tad surprised there hasn't been more discussion in here. Of four pages, we've mostly waffled on about Pride and PEDs.

This is a top card though. It's got a hard as fuck act to follow being the first PPV since 189 but on its own merits this should be all kinds of fun. Grudge match main event, Shogun vs Nog rematch a decade in the making, Nog vs Struve can't miss IMO, a clash of giants in Bigfoot vs Soa, a possible title eliminator in Gadelha vs Aguilar. This is a really good card.

Oh and I think Ronda crying in the preview spells injury for Correia. I'd be more scared of Ronda crying and what will come after than I would be of her mean face during her entrances.

And to be fair to Correia, she has proven that the language barrier doesn't have to mean a shit build up too. She's more than carried her weight in the promotion of this fight. Reading subtitles isn't ideal for fight hype but it hasn't harmed the build up one bit for me.

Anyone giving Correia a shot? Reveal your identities. If she somehow pulls the upset it's no good popping up next Sunday morning saying you knew all along.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I haven't voted yet, but I must admit I think Correia has one, specific chance - if Rousey is really going to try to draw it out and make it painful for her as she claims, she's taking a risk: the longer it goes, the greater the chance of an opening for Correia, which, for a high-level striker, could be costly, if not fatal. Rousey's improved her striking game no end, but I have to wonder if she can go toe-to-toe with a dedicated striker like Correia in a straight-up exchange.

However, if Rousey decides to re-think and just go out to win the match, then I don't rate Correia's chances at all.

• Paid Members

Yeah that'd be the only way I see Correia catching Rousey. If Ronda tries to drag it out and punish her. I still think Bethe's chances would be slim but it leaves her slightly more of a window of opportunity the longer they're in there.

But for all Ronda's talk of punishing her and not finishing her quick, I don't believe her. That might be her intention now but once they're in the cage and actually fighting I just think Ronda's too dangerous and too much of a finisher. She'll probably finish her by accident even if she does try to drag it out. Like when you're playing the UFC video game and trying to have an epic fight and you accidentally KO the opponent in two minutes.

And I just think, as much as Ronda dislikes Bethe, she loves success even more. If the chance is there to put Bethe away in the opening 12 seconds, she'll pounce.

LyRA.jpg

I just hope the doesn't do a Palhares and hold onto an armbar or something. Never like to see that stuff.

• Paid Members

Couple of brilliant highlights.

If you only know Little Nog from his fairly lacklustre UFC run, give this a look...

Little Nog (with added Rolling Stones);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=iyXlmSq715I

Awesome.

And I love this Shogun highlight;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=TvQpC8D8R8M

For what it's worth (which, at this point, probably not much), Shogun has been back training with Rafael Cordeiro for this fight.

Cordeiro has to be MMA Coach Of The Year this year for me. He was always respected for his work with Chute Boxe and was instrumental in the early training of Wanderlei Silva and both Shogun and Ninja Rua, as well as working closely with Anderson Silva during his time there. But he's surpassed all that this year for his amazing work with Fabricio Werdum and Rafael Dos Anjos. Obviously the credit has to go to them as well. Without them putting the hours in they wouldn't have had the same results. But they were both basically straight grapplers with reckless standup before they worked with Cordeiro. Now they're both UFC champions having scored upsets over Velasquez and Pettis, and they were as dominant with their striking as they were with their grappling. Incredible.

Shogun should've never left Kings and Cordeiro. His camps change so much with each fight and seem so cobbled together and disjointed, it's no wonder he's been so inconsistent lately. Doesn't help that he's physically knackered either but if he stuck with a secure and consistent camp I'm sure he could be doing better than he is. I'd say I'm glad he's back with Cordeiro but he'll probably go somewhere else for his next fight.

• Paid Members

Just imagine the carnage a lethal kicker like Edson Barboza could've done with soccer kicks and stomps if he was in Pride. I honestly think someone might've died.

That Shogun highlight, as much as I love it, makes for kind of sad viewing when you compare how he moves and how energetic and vibrant he was in his prime to how he looks these days. He's the shit though. He's had arguably the best fight in UFC history (Hendo 1) and arguably the best fight in Pride history (Little Nog 1). And to top it all off you don't get much more likeable in MMA than Shogun. No-one in MMA has a bad word to say about him. Even in the old Chute Boxe vs Hammer House days in Pride, you never really heard anyone badmouth Shogun. Chael Sonnen was the most respectful he's probably ever been in his life in the build-up vs Shogun as well. He's a shoe-in for the Hall Of Fame. Him individually and the first Hendo fight needs to go in as well.

• Paid Members

thinking about Saturday's main event, how much of Ronda's much lauded striking do you think we'll see? That's probaby the element of the fight that's most exciting, i don't doubt Ronda coule take Bethe down and fuck her up pretty quickly, but im certain she's gonna wanna try and bang it out a little. Being a Ronda fight it'll probably end up being chaotic, and she's always gonna have that thing in her back pocket of when she gets hit she's gonna go back to what she knows but i think we'll get an idea of how much she's improved by the time the fight finishes.

As you all know I'm not much of a fan, but haven't I read that this Bethe girl is pretty far down the rankings and relatively unproven? If so, will Ronda looking great on the feet really mean she's improved all that much if she's facing a lesser opponent?

• Paid Members

well not really because Bethe's specialty is striking, she has good technique but don't buy the UFC's talk of legit KO power. It's the perfect kind of fight to guage how far Ronda has developed. It's all well and good showing her hit mitts, im yet to see really show any kind of significant improvement in the cage as far as that goes. Fights never last long enough to show us!

well not really because Bethe's specialty is striking, she has good technique but don't buy the UFC's talk of legit KO power. It's the perfect kind of fight to guage how far Ronda has developed. It's all well and good showing her hit mitts, im yet to see really show any kind of significant improvement in the cage as far as that goes. Fights never last long enough to show us!

I'll judge Rousey's striking when she fights Justino, in the same way as I'll judge Justino's takedown defence when she fights Rousey  ;)

Archived