Mania clobber (and entrances too)

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I've grown on it no but, when it happened live I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a wrestling show when Triple H had his Conan entrance at Mania 22. It caught me so off guard and jump cut to him just sat there made me piss myself laughing. He looked like Fat Elvis in the Itchy and Scratchy skit where he shoots the TV.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funnily enough my first experience of watching an up to date WrestleMania was WrestleMania 2000, I was at school on the Monday so taped it to watch before school. I had been into wrestling properly for about a year as my first PPV I watched was King of the Ring 1999 and obviously then I was watching Raw every week and all of the PPVs. My first PPV would have probably been Backlash 1999 but I didn't realise they showed Raw or PPVs over here, I used to watch Livewire and Superstars on Sky 1 and it wasn't until I noticed in a TV guide that Raw was on a Friday night over here and then that the PPVs were shown live too.

Anyway apologies for going away from my original point but obviously I knew WrestleMania was the big one as they had the WrestleMania magazine out, the build to it had stepped up a lot more than the other PPVs but when I was watching it and saw the huge crowd I knew it was going to be something else. Then when Godfather and D'Lo came out with Ice T, a load of hos and they had their white ring attire and Godfather had his big fluffy white coat and Ice T had a big fluffy red coat I thought wow, they really step things up for WrestleMania.

I think sometimes it's down to the wrestler to make it special, obviously if you're a big star it's more likely the company will sort a big entrance for you, such as Cena, Triple H, Undertaker etc. but if you're a mid-carder or lower-carder you could maybe put forward an idea for something special in your entrance. I don't know the full story behind how Ice T was there but I'm assuming it was due to the Aggression album coming out and he was the artist performing Godfather's theme on it so maybe the company sorted that out but I wouldn't be that surprised if Godfather put it forward as an idea or got hold of Ice T and sorted it out himself whilst okaying it with WWE. Then if you can't sort anything special for your entrance you could just sort out a memorable, new and special attire for yourself, it could be subtle such as when RVD had special singlets designed or something over the top like Rey Mysterio's Joker and other various attires at WrestleMania.

For me I'd love everyone to make an effort for WrestleMania, if I was a wrestler and had a match at WrestleMania I'd be getting special one off costumes designed just for that event which I'd then frame and keep somewhere special, probably a special design on my tights/trunks, special pads, boots etc. I'd make them kind of subtle but also noticeable for the fans to realise they are special. I suppose kind of along the lines of Kofi Kingston's attire when he had the Super Man style trunks and knee pads, something subtle but noticeable.

As for what I'm hoping/expecting, I would expect an amazing entrance for Sting, hopefully something along the lines of his Starrcade entrance, I'm hoping he doesn't have a t-shirt on as to me it looks kind of like I am past my prime and old now, which obviously he is older now and nearing the end of his wrestling days but for WrestleMania a legend like Sting wrestling in a t-shirt would slightly annoy me. I'd like to see him in something similar to his Starrcade match against Hogan. I'm not really a fan of his big jazzy colourful coat either, I'd love him to come out in his black trenchcoat, proper classic Crow Sting and as someone mentioned earlier if there was an orchestra playing his theme that would be class.

I'd expect a big entrance for Triple H as he seems to have one whenever he's on a WrestleMania now and if his opponent has one he should too anyway and it seems from what's been said that'll be the case.

Undertaker will definitely have one, I don't think we've seen him in the build up this year so it should be a real big one, unveiling himself for the first time since his loss at last year's event. I'm hoping Bray beats him too as it'll be such a big moment for Bray and in all honesty if Bray loses to him I think considering the streak is over now anyway in my eyes it would make Bray look slightly weak, plus if it is Undertaker's final match (which I am not sure if it will be or won't be) Bray defeating him would be a huge feat for him. So I think I'd expect Bray to have a big entrance too.

I would assume Brock and Reigns would have a big entrance but I'm not sure if that'd take away from the no nonsense sort of match they'd be having. Brock coming down to the ring dressed up in something or with a big posse would seem like he'd put a lot of thought into his entrance but I think just a simple entrance would big him up more as it would show he has just totally focused on the match itself. Again I'd say the same about Reigns although maybe he'll have a new attire as they might think it could be time to get away from The Shield one now as it's a new chapter in his career. I do love the riot gear but that was The Shield, I have been saying that he needs something different now ever since The Shield broke up, although I do think the riot gear look is awesome and I'm not sure if it'd be weird to see him in anything else now. We'll see what happens.

The only other guys who I can see having big entrances are Rusev and Cena, there's been a lot of comments in here about these two though, Cena seemed to have a good run with big entrances and with him representing the American hero against the evil Russian I wouldn't be surprised to see a big patriotic entrance. Then if he has that Rusev would need the evil, villainous version. Probably have Rusev come out first, be booed by the crowd and then Cena's patriotic American one would get cheers. This is WrestleMania though with fans all over the World so who's to say that would come across, it wouldn't surprise me if there were sections cheering Rusev's entrance and booing Cena's. The match itself I wouldn't be surprised if Rusev was the one getting cheered.

• Paid Members

I would assume Brock and Reigns would have a big entrance but I'm not sure if that'd take away from the no nonsense sort of match they'd be having.

I'd bet money on them having their normal entrances to be honest, this match has a more 'legit' feel to it for me rather than spectacle. Two guys punching each other's faces in- no gimmicks, no frills, no nonsense.

If we get big entrances, I think it'll be from the other three big matches I mentioned earlier. They seem much more suited.

So, does anyone think Sting will wear the t shirt at WM?

I was hoping he'd wear the outfit he did at Starrcade '97, but looks uunlikely imo.

I doubt he will wear the shirt at the PPV.  He's known since at least November he is facing HHH, and he's likely known he has a Mania match for much longer still. So i would think he'd be hitting the gym and doing whatever it is he needs to do to get in to WrestleMania shape. I figure if he needed to cover up, they'd use the Starrcade style costume rather than his regular one. Wearing the shirts on TV right now i think is a combination of trying to move the merch and to keep him covered up until the big show. He looked a little bigger under the shirt when he he turned up to help Orton, although that could be my mind playing tricks on me.

• Paid Members

I've grown on it no but, when it happened live I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a wrestling show when Triple H had his Conan entrance at Mania 22. It caught me so off guard and jump cut to him just sat there made me piss myself laughing.

I had the opposite reaction, I popped hard immediately because I couldn't believe how cool it was, I was glued to the screen for the entire entrance and since then I've been really into the big special wrestlemania entrances.

They should absolutely have everyone in the bigger matches do something special. HHH last year was the best ever, I couldn't get my head round the fact that people were booing that and cheering a scruffy wanker whose equivalent special entrance was coming out as normal with some fur on his kickpads.

As per my last post on the matter in this thread, I loved the original Conan entrance. I laughed my ass off at Cena's gangster entrance though because it was poopy compared to HHH's badassness.

I think Cena's gangster entrance was ruined for me once i spotted Punk and started laughing.

Cena also broke out an OTT entrance for the Royal Rumble in 2006. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy5smu_edge-vs-john-cena_sport (starts at about 3mins in)

Now i come to think of it, that was the same show the Undertaker did the whole ring collapse bit to close the show (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mn2Ck5uIJw).

I re-watched Cena's gangster entrance the other night. Some gangster music comes on for no apparent reason (apart from the tenuous Chicago/Capone link) and about a dozen lads come out in pinstripes holding toy Tommy guns and pulling weird faces. One of them is a clearly recognisable CM Punk, of course. They tit about doing nothing in particular until Cena comes out on stage looking like a flasher in his big gangster jacket and fires a round of pyro into the air from his slightly more impressive looking Tommy gun. Then he takes off his gangster clothes and does his normal entrance instead.

I'd forgotten how rubbish it was. I think I thought it was alright at the time.

The "flasher" thing is what I disliked about it.

Bowler hat and long jacket hiding a tommy gun would have been fine ... if he had been wearing trousers.

His legs and reebok pumps showing beneath the gangster-attire made the whole thing ridiculous. Same with the distinctive water bottle that medieval Triple H The Barbarian was holding while sat on his throne.

Absolutely.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
That entrance last year was fantastic and I can't wait to see the tie-in with the new Terminator film this year.

The 'Terminator 2 3D' ride at Universal Studios starts with video of Arnie, Sarah & John Connor etc and then they (actually actors pretending to be them, but you get the picture) come out on the stage for live action stuff.

If they have been able to rope in Arnie to film something with HHH this week for that purpose, it could be electrifying on Sunday night.

Archived