Wrestling fandom and priorities

Sexy Dad

The other day I was offered a job interview for a job which would be ideal if something else I'm waiting on doesn't come to fruition in the next couple of weeks. The date of the interview however will be the day I am travelling back from watching ICW at the Barrowlands and then watching Wrestlemania after what will be a drunken haze of a day. So I asked to reschedule, luckily a few other candidates couldn't make it and I was told they'd be back in touch. After getting off the phone I thought, what the fuck am I doing? It will be a cracking day don't get me wrong but where do you draw the line with this ridiculous hobby of ours and the fact I have prioritised it so high?!

This got me thinking that I'm sure many of you on here have perhaps at one time or another ranked wrestling a bit too high on your priority list. So, I'm looking for your stories! That's hoping that there are enough daft folk here mind.

Depends when they reschedule for. You say you'll be in a "drunken haze" but so long as you know what stage you can get to in order to recover and not look like a pillock, you'll be ok.

I'm hoping I've got the Monday off for Wrestlemania, but it's not the be all end all if I don't as I'll just watch when the wife goes to see Olly Murs in Sheffieldon the tuesday

Sickies (when I cant book days off) for wrestling shows Ive done a lot, my problem is my works office is directly outside the train station (bosses offices overlooks entrance to station) so it often means my best stealth skills and avoiding putting stuff on Facebook. 9 times out of 10 its worth it.

Ive done sickies and even booked (wasted) a days holiday the day after PPVs which I often regret. Always book the week off after Wrestlemania though much to the wife's annoyance as its often the week before the kids school holidays.

My place of work is quite lenient with sickies if you time them right, we can have 2 absences of upto 6 days every 6 months before anything is done so mine are meticulously worked out.

In terms of spending money on DVDs etc Ive calmed down alot, took me 3 kids to do so mind.

I'll be watching Mania straight after the ICW show, think I worded that wrong. The journey home is Scotland to Wales so the interview has to be another day with it being such a trek home. Admittedly, hearing that others couldn't make it did make me feel a bit better!

I've just now started picking up casual teaching work on a fairly consistent basis, after a lot of drama and a roller coaster of emotion and various personal issues. I worked 4 out of 5 days last week, and after how shaky work prospects have been since I graduated from uni, that week of work was affirmation that teaching is what I'm meant to do with my life.

All that said, I still greatly hope I don't get called to work on Monday, because I want to watch Wrestlemania 31 live.

• Paid Members

I place (or used to place) wrestling far too high on my list of priorities.

The first time I went to Tokyo for a wrestling holiday involved spending a couple of grand that I couldn't really justify spending and involved taking two weeks off from the best-paying job I'd ever had to that point, right at the point where it was really getting to a point where I was having to prove whether I was up to it or not and the two weeks off would leave me with a ridiculous amount of catching up. In the last two years I've spent an amount of money from my savings on tickets, travel and hotels for wrestling trips that frankly I'm ashamed of. More to the point last year when having started a new job and formed friendships with new, younger and interesting people, I found myself turning down multiple social events which were really good opportunities to get to know people better, and some of them I really wanted to know better, due to pre-arranged wrestling commitments, many of which did not fit into the "I can't miss this one" criteria that I had previously placed on going to live shows. Furthermore I'm ashamed at the amount of my savings I've spent on live wrestling in the last two years. The amount I've spent has actually caused me to reassess my finances to the point I've now missed some shows that were "can't miss" because temporarily I couldn't justify spending on any recreation at all. I've been through a "sort your life out" the last couple of months and the wrestling has taken a severe kicking.

I went to 24 shows last year, so far I haven't been to one yet and realistically my first won't be until May or June. I'm no longer worried about the money, but I've had to severely reign in what I choose to go and see or not because I need disposable income available for other things, Thankfully my social life did not grind to a halt due to people not inviting me to stuff because "don't bother asking him, he's always at bloody wrestling" like I worried it would be, and though wrestling is always going to be part of my life, it's not the biggest part nor should it be. Although I still took the day after the Rumble off... what a waste that was.

I've taken next week Monday off of work because of Wrestlemania. I won't watch it live but I will watch straight away when I wake up on Monday morning on the Network. 

I also have had to say no to a few bank holiday Monday plans already in May. One of the bank holidays has the This is Progress weekend and the other has the Rev Pro in Marylebone Sunday show.

Unlike Air raid, this year I am seeing more shows than ever. 

I get absolute pelters off some of the lads in work because I book the day after Royal Rumble and WrestleMania off every year. It's to the point now that I've done it for the 6 years I've worked there that everyone knows the date well in advance and the reason they can't get a holiday on that date!

I don't really prioritise wrestling other than those two events though.

I don't bother booking holidays off.  I just stay up, and go to work on 1-2 hours sleep after the PPV's now.  Did that with the Rumble and Fastlane.  Obviosuly only started doing so since getting the Network.  I've booked all next week off work anyway, so it ties in nicely with Mania.  I did book the day off last year for Mania, but that was only coz the ex would have had a moan about me staying up for it then going into work straight after

My mum used to always let me take the monday off school because i used to pretend to be ill the monday after a ppv.

i was a propper little shit and moan and groan if i couldn't watch it.

luckily for my exam results this was just a faze and grew out of it ha

I don't bother booking holidays off.  I just stay up, and go to work on 1-2 hours sleep after the PPV's now.  

10 years ago I would do for every PPV and even RAW. Now I need to make sure I get a good few hours kip on the Sunday before attempting stay up, even then its a battle. Even booking a day off work Im still going to get my 3 year old running in and jumping on me at 6-7am.

Every Monday after Id be like Roger Murtaugh saying 'Im getting too old for this shit'

Erm I only really watch Mania and Rumble for WWE these days and always book the day after off. After a few years of seeing the myriad of local promotions and spending a glut load in the process, I have knocked most of it on the head and only go to shows I really want to see these days, and follow the rest online where possible. Wrestling when good is fantastic and in the NW especially there is a certain fan ethic where people do really get to know each other at the different shows. Without the time money nor inclination as the NW is getting to super saturated then it's a case of going with stand out shows or 'new' matches

Archived