The Revolution Pro Wrestling Thread

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

Uprising is up for VOD on Rev Pro's site. I'm tempted I have to say. Was blown away by Global Wars in Reading. Great show and good turn out.

Hopefully that gets put up on VOD soon. The Wife had to leave half way through because our daughter got sick.

Really hope they come back to Reading. Would be great to get a quality promotion local.

• Paid Members

Uprising was tremendous but I think Ospreay/Okada was match of the weekend. Really got into that, even though the result was obviously never in doubt. In fact all the top 4 singles matches delivered, even though we knew who was going over from the moment they were announced.

Has a great time at Global Wars in Reading on Saturday, probably the best show I've been to.

I know it's weird, but I'm still amused that whilst posing for a photo, Gallows said I was "a fucking beast".

It's the little things...

• Paid Members

Global Wars UK is now up on-demand. Bought it straight away. Can't wait to watch it with the family over the weekend. The Okada/Ospreay match was pretty special in person.

Enjoyed Uprising. Big Damo vs Nakamura was very exciting.

All the UK guys are OVER. Good crowd in London.

One of the camera's was dodgy as f***. It kept refocusing due to the bright lightning. I might need glasses after watching the show.

Will be watching Global Wars also during the week.

Thank you RPW.

• Paid Members

The only thing missing from Uprising was the seemingly-regular "next York Hall show we're bringing you THIS" announcement to come home excited about.

Is it wrong that I'd be more excited about Shibata coming than all the "big 4" combined? Sexy bastard.

• Paid Members

Late to the party as usual, but didn’t want too much time to pass without saying something about a marvellous weekend of shows just over a week ago (and the unintentional coincidence isn't lost on me that I'm posting this 13 years to the day of the original York Hall Uprising...).

(All photos my own)

‘Uprising 2015’ on the Friday night in East London was a superb show, rivalling the amazing ‘Uprising 2013’ (Devitt vs. Ricochet; Sabre vs. Richards; Tanahashi vs. Scurll) and ‘Summer Sizzler 2014’ (Nakamura vs. Sabre; Devitt vs. Cole; Steen vs. Scurll) as one of RevPro’s best ever presentations in the York Hall venue (and those mentioned two have genuinely been two of the best British wrestling shows anywhere in recent years). They are also definitely on a hot streak here in 2015, with February’s ‘High Stakes’ also being a great show (and providing us with the Styles vs. Ospreay and Marty vs. Ricochet belters) both this and the previous ‘Summer Sizzler’ event completely selling out. While no-one goes to their ‘tapings’ in Marylebone or watches the resulting show on YouTube, their Portsmouth and Southampton shows being run for different crowds, and PROGRESS providing a better month-to-month product, the 3 York Hall shows they put on each year have become big must-see attractions and the pinnacle event in London-based bone-bending; a date that everyone tries to attend.

20151002_223959.jpg

I thought the 3-way main event of AJ Styles vs. Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll was, to use an appropriate word, phenomenal. For the purposes of comparison, I would have no hesitation in pegging this around the ****1/2 mark and consider it Match of the Year calibre. It was a fast-paced, breath-taking thrill ride with a red-hot audience lapping up everything they did and all 3 men at something resembling their best. They managed to overcome the usual obstacle facing matches like this and, even with some jaw-dropping 3-way sequences toward the end, avoided making it look like a dance and made it come off like a true sporting struggle. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. ‘Big’ Damo O’Connor was another excellent match (probably **** to ****1/4), with Nakamura’s charisma having everyone absolutely hooked and drawn into it in a big way. This one really did feel like a fight and all the big moments during the closing stages were awesome. I’m not fully aboard the Damo train in the same way as some other people, but this was certainly a fantastic contest. On paper Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin Liger vs. Kazuchika Okada & Gedo looked like a typical NJPW minor show/house show/tour show match, but a ridiculously hot, mega-enthusiastic reaction to everyone in the match and everything they did seemed to spur them on to make it something more than that. They gave punters a chance to see all of their signature spots (again to a huge response) and the ‘big two’ did more together than I was expecting, with the end result being a terrifically enjoyable exhibition (***1/2).

20151002_204309.jpg

Elsewhere, Kyle O’Reilly vs. Kushida wasn’t particularly inspiring to begin with (and suffered from flat reactions coming back from the interval with a great deal of the audience still outside, at the merch tables or in the bar queue) but turned into a really great match by the end (***3/4) and Tetsuya Naito vs. Mark Haskins was a strong effort too (***1/4). Martin Kirby vs. ACH was fun little undercard ROH-style match with all the flashy moves, and the surprise unadvertised opener of Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Sha Samuels & James Castle was an entertaining affair really made by the charisma, in particular, of Samuels and the Japanese. Tenzan & Kojima really seemed to thrive and feed off the fervent atmosphere and were great at milking the reactions. Josh Bodom vs. Jimmy Havoc was always going to end up being compared to Jimmy’s other London No-DQ match with Paul Robinson a few weeks ago. It paled in comparison, but still offered something different to everything else on the card.

All-in-all, a tremendous event.

20151002_220916.jpg

‘Global Wars UK’ the next night in Reading, while still a very good show indeed, couldn’t come close to touching the previous night’s incredible effort. With the exception of Okada vs. Ospreay (which was, well, exceptional), the matches generally weren’t as good as Bethnal Green’s and Reading’s crowd was much flatter. Part of that may have been the cavernous sport hall venue which ate up much of the atmosphere and meant that the audience was spaced-out and, in some cases, pretty far from the ring (though, contrary to many sports hall wrestling shows, the sound system was great). It was also the case that the central London show seemed to attract many of the regular RevPro, PROGRESS, IPW:UK and other British wrestling regular fans who knew all the UK wrestlers and treated them as stars. As such, you had the non-stop shouting, chanting and singing all night in a York Hall venue that meant most were packed in right close to the action. Reading seemed to attract more of the occasional ‘supershow’ crowd, who reacted huge for the entrances of the big Japanese names, but during the matches would more sit back and quietly enjoy what they were seeing, then react big to the key moves and spots. What did happen at Reading was that many of those sat from the fourth/fifth row back on the floor seating actually just abandoned their chairs entirely and just stood up at the back to get a better view.

Tetsuya Naito vs. Kushida vs. Martin Kirby was a decent opener, but the two tag bouts (Thrillers vs. TenCozy and Revolutionists vs. Guns n’ Gallows) weren’t particularly great. Lord Gideon Grey (with Prince Rishi Ghosh) vs. Gedo was loads of daft, wacky, throwaway fun, played just like a holiday camp bout. You know the Japanese guys love the chance to do daft matches like this, but I actually felt this would have been a better fit for the previous night’s York Hall show, which was more of a ‘RevPro storyline card’ (again, with an audience that knew and responded to the regular RevPro characters of all shapes), rather than on the showcase ‘Global Wars’ card where the audience had bought tickets for the world-class modern NJPW style. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Marty Scurll was very good (***1/2), but Nakamura was a lot more subdued in his performance compared to the previous night and whether you choose to believe me or not it was actually Marty that was the star of the match. Indeed, Scurll looked legitimately top-class here. He’s someone who started off really well, looking great in places like IPW:UK in the late 00s, but after the turn of the decade he seemed to be coasting, with his performances lacking and not living up to the position promotions were putting him in. He has turned all that around in the last 12-18 months in particular and is now a fantastic all-round performer; honestly right up there with the best we have.

20151003_180731.jpg

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Big Damo was another really good match (***1/2), with Tanahashi making it look like he was having to dig deep and struggle hard to beat the dominant ‘Beast of Belfast’. As alluded to earlier, though, stealing the show was the awesome Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay encounter. I put this at around **** to ****1/4 on live viewing, but I was at this point totally exhausted from a full weekend of big matches, intense action, travelling and heavy drinking and thus my attention was starting to wane, so it wouldn’t surprise me if I ended up rating it even higher still on repeat viewing. Okada presented Ospreay as every bit his equal and they assembled a thrilling match full of exciting twists and turns. There is no doubt in my mind that Will is the type of world-class talent that comes along so rarely, the last of which being a certain high flyer from Newcastle. The main event first-time ever singles battle of AJ Styles vs. Jushin Liger was also very good indeed (***1/2). After a great career, Liger has moved into the undercard ‘veterans’ category back in NJPW, where he normally fills out the card in 8- or 10-man tag bouts alongside Nakanishi, Tiger Mask and Captain New Japan or might on occasion get involved in the lowly NWA Jr. title situation, but on shows like this and in the US where he is still treated like a huge attraction and still relevant, and paired with undoubtedly one of the best solo wrestlers in the world at the moment, he is spurred on to pull out some great performances.

... and that brought the curtain down on a wonderful weekend of wrestling. Interestingly, while it has become the expected norm during the York Hall shows to make a big announcement of the next show, with videos revealing huge star names that will appear, there was nothing of the sort this time. Instead, they just told everyone to keep an eye on the website for future announcements. With nothing publically announced aside from one of their small Sittingbourne events and a Tuesday night special at Portsmouth Guildhall it was almost as if RevPro was building everything to this one weekend and hadn’t really thought ahead of that. Added to this, there were no real storyline directions coming out of ‘Uprising’, and the fact AJ Style retained the British Title and has now seemingly seen off the only two credible built-up challengers leaves everything up in the air. They’ve had an amazing 2015, with each supershow building to the next, but after what was an exemplary weekend it would be a shame if the brakes are put on and they can’t carry on that momentum. Here’s hoping for some big announcements in the coming weeks to allay any fears and get us eagerly anticipating more of the same top drawer entertainment in 2016.

Edited by Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

The only thing missing from Uprising was the seemingly-regular "next York Hall show we're bringing you THIS" announcement to come home excited about.

Is it wrong that I'd be more excited about Shibata coming than all the "big 4" combined? Sexy bastard.

With apologies for the double-post, this is my worry at the moment. They've already brought over Tanahashi, Nakamura, Okada, Styles and Liger multiple times now. Ishii's been here. We had Devitt. We've now had Naito, Kushida, Tenzan and Kojima too.

Aside from Goto and Shibata there's literally no-one left to bring in now where simply the chance to see them is the 'draw'.

Styles has now well and truly seen off Scurll, Ospreay and Haskins, and Damo has been shown not to be able to win big matches. Who does he defend against next? The Ricochet match is there still, but what else?