The Revolution Pro Wrestling Thread

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

So the main headlines are: ZACK SABRE JR is your NEW Rev Pro British Heavyweight Champion, making AJ Styles submit in just under 20 minutes. Crowd chanted "Royal Rumble" at AJ (and Zack!) afterwards and AJ said if he was in it, he'd kick all their asses, or something.

Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll for the number one contendership stole the show, going 28 minutes in the first half main event. Marty won with the Chickenwing which is convenient given the new champion. This really was superb.

Bram was the somewhat disappointing mystery partner for Jimmy Havoc & T-Bone. Havoc finally got to Acid Rainmaker and pin Josh Bodom as the Revolutionists were defeated.

Jay Lethal beat Mark Haskins in a good match to retain the ROH World Title, though the title being on the line took drama away rather than add to the match.

Elsewhere Damo O'Connor beat Mike Bailey in a good undercard match, Colt Cabana pinned Doug Williams in a fun bout that was everything you could probably imagine, and Pete Dunne retained the Cruiserweight title, beating Flash Morgan Webster again in a nicely building opening bout that introduced Pete Dunne to the bigger York Hall crowd really well.

Next dates are Feb 7th at the Cockpit Theatre in Marylebone, Saturday 16th April in Reading and the York Hall return is July date TBC.

I really can't emphasize enough just how great Marty vs Will was. Going in, my expectations were high for this match but this match blew them away. It was exactly the really good match I expected until about 10 minutes in when something switched, intensity wise and emotion wise and the match just went to another level. I also think it got a fairly tame crowd (by York Hall standards) to not only wake up, but on get up on their feet losing their shit. 

The first 3 matches up to that point were all fairly good (Colt is not really my cup of tea to be fair, but is he over with this audience) and I think Mike Bailey put in a good showing as did both guys in the opener. It was a shame to see the opener not really connect with the crowd though especially given both of their fantastic matches at the tournament at the Cockpit a few weeks back. I think over time Pete Dunne will make a great cruiser weight champion and very few people pull off the underdog role and take a beating as well as Flash is right now. 

Both the 6 man and Lethal vs Haskins were good matches. The Lethal/Haskins match being made for the ROH title was a bit of a killer for me as the outcome of the match was a forgone conclusion. Bram in the 6 man was an ok surprise but overall I feel I have seen Sha, Jimmy, Bodom etc. in better brawls in the past. 

The main event was a good showing, most importantly it made ZSJ look like a million bucks (though, he kind of does that with ease himself). Overall a good match and the finishing submission was .... well I have no idea what it was. Post match shenanigans were nice to be a part of but honestly, this Royal Rumble stuff with AJ....please tell me this has become an "inside" joke and people aren't taking it seriously?! 

Overall another really good show from Rev Pro at York Hall, though it wasn't quite the complete top the bottom package that some of the previous shows have been, it just didn't quite seem to flow as well, but that is me being a bit harsh against the high standard they have set themselves. Really gutted at there being no return until JULY! I will definitely be at the next Cockpit show (I love that venue!) and will keep an eye on the Reading show line up. I really hope they save a main event title match of Marty vs Zack until the next York Hall show, but saying that, that is the 1 match that might get me to travel to Reading.  

The best part of Scurll vs Osprey that despite being 30 mins it felt like half of that and loads was in it. Well worth seeing. I did not get into the 6 man tag at all, I felt nothing happened and I felt there was no reason for Bram to be there. Everything else was good. It comes out on Monday and would say worth a look. I will definitely go in July. Not sure about Reading, it would depend on the start time (would want to get home at a decent time), the train price and who will be there as due to the train ticket even with cheaper seat tickets it will cost me more. 

Not surprised they are doing an extra super card outside of London. The venue will be cheaper so would probably only need 6-700 to make a massive profit. RPW seems to have many fans who will follow so will not be surprised if they get it but I doubt they will get the same amount they did for Global Wars due to that being with NJPW. Some people do travel for RPW who will not go. I met a guy after the show who comes from Cambridge who goes to the York Hall shows and people like him may find it harder and more expensive to get to reading. Despite some boos from the crowd on the announcement I think it is the right thing to do and branch out doing 3 big shows in London and doing 2-3 in Reading, maybe branching to 4 in London in the future. 

I know a lot of people (in the South of England at least) are high on Haskins right now and there was chatter beforehand of him winning, but Lethal was always winning that match. Announcing it as a ROH title match would have killed the believers in the crowd though.

There was a logic to Bram in that you had Havoc (insane dude from the South) who recruited T-Bone (tough son of a gun from the Northern scene), and then Bram (crazy brawler gimmick in the USA). The problem is Bram has a) the TNA stink, and b) the unsavoury stories about his personal life stink. The sort of fans that fill York Hall are probably going to smell both of those. (Anyway, we scoff but 2006 is going to be Bram's year :) )

As for Reading, I presume they are using the leisure centre again which would be the main issue as leisure centres suck for atmosphere.

So Marty Scurll is going to be the first man to get an action figure made of him? Like, ever? Cool.

Incredible match from him and Ospreay, probably overkill with the false finishes, but those guys have fantastic chemistry. I had a feeling they'd set up Zack/Marty as the next title match and was happily proven right. The title match was excellent too, slower paced than the first half main event, but I really liked the relatively simplicity of the finish - Zack reversing AJ's finisher into a submission move he just could not get out of. Lovely.

Have to say Cabana/Williams exceeded my expectations, not that either of them aren't very good wrestlers, just that it seemed a really arbitrary and uninspired match to book. But it was a really fun contest and a nice change to the rest of the card. And, given Colt's post match promo, I actually think him and Zack would have an equally fun bout given their respective styles.

Rest of the first half was good. Second half struggled to get going after Scurll/Ospreay before the interval I felt. The six man especially was the dictionary definition of "uninspired brawl". And Bram can fuck right off.

probably overkill with the false finishes

Oh yeah defiantly. I've never been the biggest Scurll fan, but he was excellent in this. Ospreay is the real deal, would love to see him in Japan.

Was my first York Hall show since Uprising 2013 and really enjoyed the show overall, despite being in the same same row as the unfunny gentleman in the yellow shirt! Imports worked well, and the show never dragged for me.

probably overkill with the false finishes

Oh yeah defiantly. I've never been the biggest Scurll fan, but he was excellent in this. Ospreay is the real deal, would love to see him in Japan.

Was my first York Hall show since Uprising 2013 and really enjoyed the show overall, despite being in the same same row as the unfunny gentleman in the yellow shirt! Imports worked well, and the show never dragged for me.

Oh god, I could tell from the first 5 seconds that guy was going to get on my tits.

Next show at the Cockpit looks fun, I imagine they may be building to Zack/Cabana at the March show?

Undisputed British Cruiserweight Championship:
- Sonjay Dutt vs Pete Dunne

- Colt 'Boom Boom' Cabana vs Lord Gideon Grey

- 'The Villain' Marty Scurll vs Timothy Thatcher

- Zack Sabre Jr vs Will Ospreay

Next show at the Cockpit looks fun, I imagine they may be building to Zack/Cabana at the March show?

Undisputed British Cruiserweight Championship:

- Sonjay Dutt vs Pete Dunne

- Colt 'Boom Boom' Cabana vs Lord Gideon Grey

- 'The Villain' Marty Scurll vs Timothy Thatcher

- Zack Sabre Jr vs Will Ospreay

Rev Pro have announced this show is now sold out.