WCW popularity survey (the best thing ever)

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Chris Harrington just posted this online. Fucking amazing read. WCW did a survey back in 2000 when Bischoff and Russo formed the super powers and took WCW to greater heights (or finished the company off if you prefer). The survey was based on how great, how shit or how indifferent the public was to their contracted wrestlers. Some stunning results.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/252075712/WCW-Personality-Familiarity-and-Likeability-Ratings-April-2000

What three mentalists under the age of 17 liked Horace Hogan "a lot"? They must have been so unhappy at school.

• Paid Members

That's an awesome find. I have just scrolled though quickly, so it's tough to take much from it but I bet you could mine some fantastic stats and info from that. One thing that is immediately noticeable is that fit as fuck women get over like rover and they don't, or barely ever, wrestle. Would love WWE to adopt this approach.

One thing that is immediately noticeable is that fit as fuck women get over like rover and they don't, or barely ever, wrestle. Would love WWE to adopt this approach.

WWE is more than aware of it. How much "HIRE REAL WRESTLERS, NOT MODELS, STOP CARING ABOUT LOOKS" sentiment have you read over the years in backlash to WWE's female talent? Johnny Ace in particular knew the score. It's not as easy now though, they have to be more conservative with the wank fodder, so none of the women can get over like a megastar by being good-looking and having hands painted on their tits. There are more limits these days, which means the role has changed a bit. Obviously, that's still no excuse for giving the likes of Bayley a job.

• Paid Members

Great link, Ian.

Ric Flair's numbers are pretty surprising. On the total sample only 35% liked him a lot and 28% really dislike him. Hogan's numbers aren't much better but that's less of a surprise.

The Cat and Ernest Miller are listed separately. There's also "The Dog". Who was that?

The top 20 people liked is: Kimberley, Torrie Wilson, Miss Hancock, Sting, Goldberg, Spice, Chae, Billy Kidman, Kevin Nash, Bret Hart, Booker T, Buff Bagwell, Vampiro, Mean Gene, Sid Viscious, Mona, Rey Misterio, Scott Hall, Bobby Heenan, DDP.

As pointed out by Arch, 6 of them (Kimberley, Torrie Wilson, Miss Hancock, Spice, Chae & Mona) are women who didn't do a whole lot besides look good. Unfortunatley surveys like this would only lead to Vinny Ru sticking them in stupid matches and angles more often.

The 12 wrestlers are no real surprise. Funny that they still pushed Jeff Jarrett, who people hated. Maybe this is the reason for Billy Kidman's brush with fame too!

• Paid Members

I think the TV is similar. WCW had 7 hours of first run TV until Nitro got reduced to 2 hours. WWE have 7 hours (if Superstars still exists) not counting NXT.

In my Royal Rumble database for the current roster, I have 51 names. I think WCW at it's peak had something like 160 guys under contract.

As if 10 people like The Harris Brothers.

Al Green is different from The Dog for some reason on there. Fans? 2.

It's not the number of people, it's the percentage of people who took the survey (different to the explanation in the introduction which suggests its a percentage of people who knew the wrestler etc) , so about 140 people (they don't give a proper number of participants) really love them. 

Also there seems to be a fairly inconsistent decision whether to round figures up or down, some guys have an R score one point higher or lower than they should, kinda odd, I would have done it to 2 DP.

I love statistics, I'm sorry.

Ric Flair's numbers are pretty surprising. On the total sample only 35% liked him a lot and 28% really dislike him. Hogan's numbers aren't much better but that's less of a surprise.

Positioning on TV as heels would influence the scores, though. I don't know if that's applicable to those two at the time, but being over as a baddie would mean the more people strongly disliking you the better.

Hogan hadn't been a heel for almost a year by the time the survey was done but he had stunk up TV for the majority of the Sullivan 2000 era, so not surprising his approval rating is so poor.  Flair had returned as heel not long before but was stuck working with Hogan, including that YAPAPI strap match.  So yeah.....

Archived