Vince vs Shamrock

twelve_grand

So I hope this isn't copyright issue because it promotes the book and WO newsletter quotes the book but.....

From Jericho's latest autobiography (as reported by Dave Meltzer):

So I open and it’s page 120, talking about the angle with Mickey Rourke and WrestleMania, which I actually know better than all but a few people given that Frank Shamrock, who Rourke hired as his bodyguard, wanted me to go to Houston with him for Mania, but my rule of thumb of never attending Mania live (because the Mania issue is the biggest of the year, and yes, I will break the rule in 2015), I said I was too busy. Plus, he had a fight a week later against Nick Diaz and his ribs were jacked, so he didn’t need to go to Houston either. Anyway, Jericho had to explain to Rourke that when he was on Larry King with him, he was just an actor building up a confrontation for Mania. Rourke thought all the insults were a shoot and brought Shamrock and Moti Horenstein (a former UFC fighter who was a member of the Israeli special forces) with him. Anyway, there were no problems and everyone was cool with everyone. Except Horenstein, who was still mean mugging. Before the match, Jericho told Vince about how Rourke hired two bodyguards to kick his ass if he double-crossed Rourke in the ring. Vince started laughing, and said, “Are you kidding me? Those guys?” Vince said, “You me, Finlay and Malenko would’ve beat the shit out of them. I mean, look at that one guy, he’s a midget.” The midget was Shamrock. Jericho smiled at Vince and said, “Well, if anything goes down, I’ll take Rourke and you take the midget.” “Damn right I will,” Vince said as he swaggered away.

• Paid Members

Which is why Kevin Nash's story of how the attitude era started before he and Hall left seems like bullshit.

Nash met with McMahon to discuss the direction of the business. “Did you see Heat? Did you root for Pacino or De Niro?,” Nash asked his boss. McMahon admitted to cheering for the villain. “Don’t you understand that the antihero is the new hero?” He thinks it inspired the Attitude Era and the subsequent ascent of “Stone Cold” Steve Austin.

There's no way he saw Heat.

• Paid Members

He was on Opie with Jim Norton, this week talking about it. Jericho said Rourke was forced to pull out by his people when he told some reporter he was wrestling at 'Mania. Apparently his management thought it would kill his chance of winning the Oscar (which he didn't win anyway) to be properly involved with lowly wrestling.

Vince told Jericho to go on Larry King and try to trash talk Rourke back into doing the match.

Also, if you want to cringe, listen to said interview and hear Jericho try his hardest to become best mates with Russell Brand. Awful.

Archived