UFC Ultimate Fighter 20: Team Pettis vs Team Melendez - Sep 10

wandshogun09

Who becomes first Strawweight champ?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Definitely had Calderwood winning though. I don't know what Kagan was on about after, acting all hard done by and going "what did she do to beat me?" But what did Kagan do in the fight? Landed a couple of punches in round one but got mostly outstruck. Then she got taken down in round two and spent the whole round in an inverted triangle and her whole offence in the round consisted of trying to sit on Calderwood's face.

You can put Kagan's complaints down to Melendez assuring her after both rounds that she had won them. That's some bad coaching right there. Unless it's a one sided beatdown, a real destruction job that everybody knows is a destructions job, it's never a good idea to give such an assurance to your fighter because 1) You never know how a judge will see it, and 2) Your perspective is bound to be coloured by seeing things in a favourable light towards the fighter you're coaching. It can lead to complacency which is something that is notorious for losing fights that could easily have been won.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That last position was bonkers.

You're never going to finish a triangle from there (unless your Damien Maia, maybe) but it'd have been super controversial to stand them up when a triangle is, technically, locked in.

Shit fight, really.

A good counter striker would have had a field day with Joanne's striking in the first, and Emily looked like she might but seemed to really dislike getting punched in the face. Emily was toilet in the second round, though. Useless striking, useless clinch and clueless on the ground. The double leg was the best thing in the fight.

The editing annoyed me this show, though. Rose's sporadic black eye was annoying.

A decent episode this week. We found out what had Bec Rawlings crying in the previews and it was sadly the news of her father-in-law passing away, which instantly made her a sympathetic favourite. Heather Clark continues to annoy everyone on her team and she either doesn't care or just doesn't get it. I'd wager on the latter, because she's obviously not trying to annoy anyone or wanting to annoy anyone, but she keeps doing it over and over and over again. The fight between Jessica Penne and Lisa Ellis wasn't bad but it wasn't good because Penne just went through Ellis inside of four-minutes. Next week is #1 seed Carla Esparza taking on #16 seed Angela Hill. It's just a hunch but I have a feeling we get the major upset.

Really disapointed with Ellis' perfornance Clearly her killer instinct has gone or dampened since having a baby. Dana didnt seem impressed and her heart isnt in it. I felt for Heather and Jessica in this episode. Dont like the way Clark's being singled out and poor Jessica getting bullied for her nose (then to compound it Gil shouted "That nose looks suspect" at a silent moment before the fight) Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is with #1 seed and forner Invicta champ Carla. Again, I can see Hill being a surprise package this season and winning.

• Paid Members

I'm really enjoying this season thus far. They seem to be spending a lot more time detailing who these fighters are and why I should care about them. Surprisingly, the seeding has also increased my enjoyment loads. It makes it much easier to follow everything and makes every fight interesting based on who is favoured and by how much. Raising the stakes by making it for a title and bringing in the best of the division has also helped massively. It was impossible to care about recent TUFs when you knew whoever won was unlikely to do anything but waste away in the prelims.

So yeah, it's pretty much the antithesis to the last few seasons, where guys I didn't know or care about were having a bunch of boring fights that I couldn't keep track of due to complete and utter apathy. Just a shame they couldn't have coupled all these improvements with a better coaching dynamic, like Tate and Rousey.

• Paid Members
how much of that is down to the fact that, unless you outright suck, you'll get your chance in the UFC? Would it mean more to be a TUF winner, and make the show seem more important, if most of the 'losers' didn't end up in the UFC anyway?

Loads. I remember Dana moaning at the fighters in one of the recent series for not going balls out in the early rounds when the path to success in the show has been clearly laid out. Fight clever early on & allow yourself to be able to go balls out if needed in the semi's as you'll have time to recover should you make it to the final. If we can all recognise this the best approach for success then the actual fighters are gonna be more than aware!

Pat Barry's missus looks like a wet cat.

wet5.jpg

Heres hoping this post doesnt see me banned for spoilers but for episode 4 spoilers dont read on

Enjoyed the episode, think Team Melendez are being proper dicks with Heather. Im aware people can be annoying but to round on her with that pack mentality is shitty. Especially for Rose "I dont follow the crowd" or Angela M "I moved to Thailand for peace and tranquility". Thought the fight was best of the season so far. Carlas a beast and shifted her game plan every time Angela moved. Bad ass striking too. These women talk a good fight but once handidly beaten just start crying. Women, know your limits!

Angela Magana is a real bitch; the slightest thing Heather Clark does, no matter how small, sends that woman into a rage. She bitches about how Clark trains, she bitches about what Clark does after training; she bitches out of nowhere for no discernible reason. Magana is coming off as the most miserable person in the world.

No upset in the third fight with Carla Esparza dominating Angela Hill, outside of one moment of trouble, and finishing her inside of a round. Justine Kish is shown having trouble with her right knee, which has been operated on in the past; it came out of nowhere, with Kish never mentioned or shown before, but when combined with the preview of next week telling us that someone is injured and out of the show, it does make you think they were setting up her exit.

Next weeks fight is Felice Herrig against Heather Clark. I'm picking Clark to win but you never know for sure. I do know, however, that Clark could beat the shit out of Herrig and look like a million dollars and Angela Magana will still find something about the performance to bitch about.

• Paid Members

Only just caught up on last week's episode, then watched last night's straight after.

These women talk a good fight but once handidly beaten just start crying. Women, know your limits!

Ha, wasn't expecting a Harry Enfield circa mid 90s reference in the TUF 20 thread. Nice.

4390898_t6.jpg

Yeah, Magana's a sour-faced little twat. Her nickname should be 'Vinegar Tits', which as we know, is the best nickname ever and should be resurrected.

Esparza is going to give a lot of these girls trouble, I think. Strawweight is light on wrestlers, especially really good ones like Esparza, so I could see that alone taking her far. Someone with good BJJ like Jessica Penne could be her trickiest hurdle to clear maybe. But yeah, Carla looked good. Hard to gauge really though because she was against a 1-0 novice.

As soon as TUF wrapped filming and the women were doing media, I was convinced Esparza makes the finals. There's just something about how she was talking and carrying herself. I think it's going to be Esparza vs Calderwood. Outside chance of Esparza vs Rose 'Wet Cat/Pat Barry's Jailbait' Namajunas. But I don't think Rose gets past Dr Kneevil, and she'll have to in the quarter finals the way the bracket is.

Caught up with the first 3 eps so far, can't seem to locate the 4th.

Pettis with the whitewash so far, but my god, is he a terrible coach. He just happens to have made the best fighter/fight picks so far, but as far as actual coaching, him and his team seem hopeless. Pettis is young- and the fact that a 20 year old Sergio is acting as a coach is nuts as well- and they seem fairly uncomfortable coaching women. Anthony's "I'm glad you voiced your opinion" seemed patronising as fuck.

Melendez is very caring and seems to give more pointed advice in training (such as his demonstration to Lisa about how to avoid getting swept), and I think he's fairly good as a coach. It's just a shame the fighters on his team so far simply aren't on the level of Team Pettis.

Boy, is he vanilla though. Someone put granny panties over his picture and the guy barely reacted.

Beyond that, I like JoJo, and I'm curious to see how the Aussies go. Heather Jo Clark seems like a massive pain in the arse, while Felice Herrig doesn't seem half as bad as people were making her out to be yet. In any event, the fighters and the stakes interest me enough to keep watching, which I haven't been able to say since the Smashes.

I think Faber came across as a better coach in the couple of minutes he was there this week than Cruz has. Cruz hasn't done anything Rampage like to turn people against him, just doesn't seem like the best coach.

It is surely Kish that is out, she's been posting pictures after getting a knee op lately too. Tecia back in for her? I can't see it being any of the other women who are already out. Hill might be good in the future, but she got finished. No one would be interested in seeing Kagan or Ellis back in. It has to be Torres that Dana was offering to come back in.

I really hope Calderwood makes the final but it's Esparza vs Rose for me. Whoever wins the Calderwood vs Rose fight will surely be in the final, I'm just sticking with my feeling that it will be Rose, hopefully I'm wrong. Rose does have that Ronda feel about her too, in videos with Pat she's always smiling and joking about, but when it comes to fighting she seems as serious as they come and she has that death stare similar to Ronda too. I'd be pretty surprised if Esparza isn't there from the other half, but maybe Penne can surprise her.

Archived