UFC Ultimate Fighter 20: Team Pettis vs Team Melendez - Sep 10

wandshogun09

Who becomes first Strawweight champ?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Hmmmmm that's a good point, actually.

Just speculating here, but I wonder if one of the remaining quarter finalists or semi finalists gets injured and Daly is brought back? Especially if it's Penne who's injured, given how close and competitive their fight was. That'd explain why she was passed out as well, maybe she's asked to take someone's place on short notice, tries to cut weight quickly and passes out.

There was no mention of her struggling to cut weight against Penne, was there? It's got to be a weight cutting issue, right? She was in the sauna on the clip.

That's my guess then. Penne gets hurt (or maybe a cut or something), Daly takes her place on short notice.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'd assume it would be from a weight cut - it looked like her collapsing in a sauna or something. She weighed fine in for her first fight (we didn't see a cut, or get mention of one - so it was clearly a non-issue) and then didn't even see a weigh-in for her 2nd fight, so again assume it was a non-issue. I then expected her to maybe collapse after the 2nd fight, but that didn't happen either and now she's eliminated.

We'll see, I guess.

• Paid Members

Yeah, she'd obviously have no reason to cut weight again on the show now unless she's brought back. So I think that's what must happen.

The only other explanation would be that she did pass out cutting for either the Penne or Magana fights but they either forgot to edit it in or opted not to air it. Which would be unlikely.

I think she's brought back to replace Penne against the Esparza/Torres winner. But maybe the fight doesn't end up happening because she passes out. Then the Esparza/Torres winner gets a bye straight to the finals. That's my guess. Probably be nothing of the sort now.

About the Daly collapsing clip:

I remember Daly saying on Twitter or Facebook it was while weight cutting before the Magana fight, she just stood up too quickly and fell down for a second. Not sure why they didn't show it. This probably didn't need to be in spoiler tags since it's past but thought I'd put it in them in case anyone wanted to just watch the show and see if anyone did drop out or anything.

• Paid Members

Ah. And there's was me getting my hopes up that she was back in.

Did anyone else catch the bit on the preview for next week where Namajunas appears to be attempting a flying armbar on Calderwood? I hope that's a red herring. I've got that fight built up as fight of the season in my head, I'd hate to see it end on a quick submission.

I wonder if Paige Vanzant will fight whoever the odd woman out is on the finale? She did an interview this week saying she's looking to fight again ASAP. Quick turnaround but would make sense considering she was originally supposed to be on TUF 20 herself.

As entertaining in a lot of ways as this season has been, not only does the cuntishness of Magana and company make it almost impossible to watch, but Pettis and Melendez are making me not care about their fight at all. I’m not asking them to ham it up for the cameras or do some obviously cartoonish bullshit, but damnit, do something to make me care about either of you or get into the fact that you’re fighting next month. Objectively, I know their fight is going to be big and that it is a big fight, but emotionally, I just don’t care one iota about the fight. It could get cancelled tomorrow and I wouldn’t care a jot.

• Paid Members

I always skip the "Next week on TUF" clip, because the morons always show a clip (or clips) from the fight, which is almost always some sort of spoiler. e.g. if I see a war of a fight - or clips trading back and forth, I know there wasn't a quick finish, etc.

• Paid Members

I'm still very much into the Pettis vs Melendez fight. Two very contrasting styles but both consistently exciting fighters. I'm pumped for the fight, it's just having them coach TUF has added nothing to either the anticipation for the fight or to TUF itself. They were just terrible choices for TUF coaches.

Neither guy has much personality, neither has beef with each other. Plus it meant the lightweight title was on ice for the whole of 2014 as well. This fight could've happened in August or September if not for TUF. Pettis has been healthy since June. UFC 177 could've been saved by Pettis vs Melendez. Or they could've stuck it on 178 (and left Johnson vs Cariaso on 177) and made that card even better.

So yeah, I'm as excited about Pettis vs Melendez as I always was. It's a fantastic fight. But some guys just aren't suited for TUF. You won't get the best out of them in that setting. If either guy was paired with a more dynamic personality, like say Pettis vs Nate Diaz or Melendez vs Cerrone, it'd probably be a bit better. Sticking two dry personalities together on TUF was a poor choice.

Imagine if they stuck Weidman and Jacare as TUF coaches? I'm guessing that'd be paint drying levels of boredom. But the actual fight would likely be brilliant.

There must've been better choices to coach TUF 20. Josh Barnett's been doing nothing all year. Maybe him and someone? Maybe something different like Team Serra-Longo vs Team Blackzilians or something. That would allow them to involve the likes of Serra, Longo, Weidman, Danaher, maybe Renzo, Rashad, Belfort, Hooft etc. Opens up possibilities for loads of good telly. And they could use it to hype up Weidman vs Belfort as well by having them interact.

I don't know. It'd be something a bit different.

Luckily with the 'Crowning A Champion'/birth of a new division element this time, Pettis and Melendez's dullness hasn't hurt the show much for me. It feels like there's more of a point to this season than most so the coaches weren't as crucial IMO. But it's still been a bit of a missed opportunity. You have to assume the UFC put Pettis and Melendez in this position in the hopes that in some way they'd generate more interest in their fight, it's added nothing though. The people who wanted to see the fight still want to see the fight. But I doubt it's grabbed the interest of anyone who wasn't already on board.

• Paid Members

Angela Magana phoned into Ariel Helwani's MMA Hour today. She wasn't a scheduled guest and basically phoned up in a shameless attempt to get attention. Ariel was said to have "put her in her place" whatever that means. When even Ariel doesn't want to air a shit talking trainwreck (and this is the guy who had Mayhem in the studio), you know you're failing at MMA self promotion. Ariel loves all that type of thing usually. She's so insignificant he doesn't even want to know. Ha. Fuck off Vinegar Tits.

Archived