UFC Ultimate Fighter 20: Team Pettis vs Team Melendez - Sep 10

wandshogun09

Who becomes first Strawweight champ?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Nah I don't see why she's that bad. She's not someone I'd want to hang around with but she's not someone who has me grinding my teeth at the telly either. Weigh that up with how fun she is to watch in the cage and there's more good than bad.

I like her and Barry. Although I haven't seen that much of their stuff, admittedly. So maybe they're more annoying than I think. They're childish but it doesn't bother me or anything.

It wasn't like Magana where you could plainly see how nasty and hateful she is. Or Herrig and Esparza trying to bully anyone who wasn't in their little clique. I don't see what Rose did on the show that warrants her being called a 'cunt' to be honest. That word should be reserved for the likes of Magana, Hitler, Ian Huntley, War Machine. People like that.

I have zero tolerance for people who engage in or encourage, passively or otherwise, bullying. Rose did that by siding with the Cuntettes, and that’s enough for me to brand her a cunt. If she or the others ever grow up, which given their recent appearance on, I think, UFC Tonight, is anything to go by isn’t happening anytime soon, then I’ll warm up to them. Otherwise, she’s on the ‘C’ list.

• Paid Members

Pretty good show, I thought.

Esparza winning was disappointing but to be fair she fought much better than on the show. I think the threats Rose offered made Esparza fight with more urgency. Rose looked like she was going to murder her in the first bit of round one but after that Esparza ran away with it. I still think Rose is a future champion. She's a scary talent for someone so inexperienced and she's still got time to climb the ladder. This was only her fourth pro fight. With more experience I think she'll be the champion at some point. It seemed like a combination of her letting the occasion get to her and also Esparza being really good obviously.

Saw something on twitter like;

Dana White called Philippe Nover 'the next GSP'. He called Uriah Hall 'the next Anderson Silva'. And he called Rose Namajunas 'the next Ronda Rousey'. They all lost in the TUF finale.

Dana's a fucking jinx. I know he didn't outright say Rose was the 'next Ronda' but I think it's pretty obvious that's who he meant considering she finished all her fights by submission, the aggressive style etc.

I thought Oliveira vs Stephens was a great fight. Oliveira looks to be really rounding out his game. He always had the BJJ, and he actually had pretty good Muay Thai anyway. His wrestling looked better than I ever remember seeing it last night and his overall putting it all together was improved. Stephens trying to kill him every chance he got and surviving those submissions (especially that fucking armbar!) made the fight a lot of fun to watch.

Penne vs Markos was fantastic as well. Penne looked like a bit of a beast at times. Randa was tough as fuck and showed heart to end the fight pretty strong. That throw from Penne was awesome. I wasn't sure how she'd do at 115, coming up from 105 in Invicta but she looked really good last night.

Calderwood vs Ham was a really good stand up fight. Calderwood gets hit more than you'd like, and doesn't move her head much but her offence is so much fun to watch. Ham was game as well. Tough little fucker and cracked Calderwood with some nice shots. I'd like to see her fight someone nearer her size but to be honest, she's probably better suited to go back down to 105 in Invicta. Good fight for Calderwood though.

And that front kick to the face...

Joanne%2BCalderwood%2BFace%2BFront%2BKic

Fuck me!

Herrig won :(

Magana lost and got fucking schooled :) what's this 'Your Majesty' nickname? Twat.

What else? Noons vs Cruickshank finish was really unfortunate. Was shaping up to be an excellent fight as well. Yancy Medeiros spin kick to the body was brutal.

Read Aisling Daly looked great submitting Alex Chambers in the first round. Shame Daly missed weight though, she might've got a bonus.

Yeah, pretty enjoyable show.

UFC TUF 20 Finale

Emily Kagan (3-1) vs. Angela Hill (115.5lbs, 1-0) kicked off the night of action. The first round saw Kagan open up aggressive, and look decent, but once she got hit, it seemed pretty clear Kagan didn’t like it and was backing away from there on out. Hill came on strong for the rest of the round and hit some nice knees from the clinch. Only downer of the round was the referee, Kim Winslow, missing a very blatant illegal knee from Hill. The second round was all Hill as she landed knees and elbows from the clinch. The main thing from this round, from Hill, is that she will have to beat people with volume because she has no stopping power to her strikes; she won’t be knocking people out. The third round finally saw Kagan get Hill down but it didn’t last long and Hill spent most of the latter half of the round battering Kaga. Hill wins it with scores of 30-26, 30-26 and 30-27. Hill needs a ton of seasoning and she probably won’t be long for the UFC once more quality fighters are brought in. Hill will probably end up with Invicta and we’ll found out there if she can make it to the big leagues. Kagan looked like shit. Invicta may take her to make up the numbers but she’d look terrible there as well. Even the rookies in Invicta would smoke Kagan something fierce and Kagan should think about quitting.

Aisling Daly (118lbs, 14-5) vs. Alex Chambers (114.5lbs, 4-1) was next. Chambers took Daly down almost right away but Daly was soon working for an armbar, which she nearly got, even when she went belly down. Daly proceeded to dominate Chambers from there on out and Chambers was never in the fight at all, though she did a decent job of defending the armbar that would ultimately tap out to. Only downer of this was that Daly didn’t make weight.

Tecia Torres (115.5lbs, 4-0) vs. Angela ‘The Most Miserable Human In The Universe, A Complete Vinegar Tits And All Round Cunt’ Magana (115.5lbs, 11-6) opened up the FS 1 Prelims. The first round was pretty uneventful until Torres briefly knocked Magana down late on and landed some decent follow up punches. The second round saw Torres pick up the pace a little more but only able to start pouring it on near the end of the round, with Magana getting tagged plenty as the round wound down. The third round saw Magana become even more of a punching bag for Torres, who was lighting her up at will, with Magana looking totally outclassed. I would have liked to have seen Torres finish Magana but outclassing her will do. So long you miserable fucking cunt.

Joanne Calderwood (116lbs, 8-0) vs. SeoHee Ham (114.5lbs, 15-5) was a decent scrap, more competitive than most people expected it to be. Calderwood outshone Ham for the most part, but Ham put up more of a fight than most people probably expected, and Calderwood had a a very bloody nose by the end of the fight. It ended up going the distance, with Calderwood mounting Ham near the end and having her in trouble, and Calderwood getting the unanimous decision victory.

Bec Rawlings (116lbs, 5-3) vs. Heather Jo Clark (115.5lbs, 6-4) was another decent fight. Clark dominated most of it, generally clinching with Rawlings and pressing her against the cage, or controlling her against the ground. Clark did land a great punch early into the fight, which she went with and took Rawlings down, and the stand-up was very competitive. Clark took the nod with scores of 29-28 across the board, which is the correct score.

Felice Herrig vs. Lisa Ellis had a very good first round, with back and forth submission attempts from both women. The second round was all Herrig, who got Ellis down early and dominated her in going for submissions and she eventually got the tap out with an armbar, with Ellis doing well to defend before being forced to tap.

Jessica Penne (115.5lbs, 11-3) vs. Randa Markos (116lbs, 4-2) kicked off the main card. The first round saw Penne dominate Markos, for the most part, on the ground, which was set up by a great looking thrown. Markos provided stout defence and was dangerous in places, but the first round was solidly for Penne. The second round saw more standing and it was clear that Markos was the harder hitter and Penne was very defensive when struck. Markos managed to mount Penne but Penne was quickly able to escape and end up in top position herself, and whilst Penne ended the round in that position, and landing some punches, it was definitely a round for Markos and it should be tied 19-19 heading into the third round. Markos landed three spinning backfists in the first thirty seconds of the third round. Markos landed some nice combinations, as well as a nice uppercut. Penne didn’t like how it was going standing so she took Markos down at the halfway mark of the round. Penne was able to get Markos in position to deliver some pound and ground and she almost had a choke applied. Penne remained in a domination position until right before the end of the round when Markos grabbed a reverse triangle choke, but Penne held on until the round ended and that triangle could be enough for Markos to snatch back the round that Penne had likely won until she got caught. The scores were 29-28 for Markos, 30-27 for Penne and 29-28 for…Penne. Penne likely should have won but no way did she win the second round. No way at all.

Anthony Pettis was shown on the big screen and got absolutely no reaction at all.

Joe Proctor (156lbs, 10-2) vs. Yancy Medeiros (155.lbs, 10-2, 1 NC) was a cracking one-round fight, hard kicks aplenty, including spin kicks, and Medeiros landed a good one to the body of Proctor late on, which had the delayed reaction and had Proctor sat against the cage Medeiros jumped on him with a guillotine and Proctor was forced to tap. It was almost a shame that this ended in the first.

Uriah Hall was shown on the big screen and got a boo. Yes, one single, solitary boo.

KJ Noons (156lbs, 12-6) vs. Daron Cruickshank (156lbs, 16-5) had a hot first round, very evenly matched were both men, landing punches and kicks, and it was very close to call but Noons just about edged it. Early in the second, Noons accidentally poked Cruickshank in the eye for a second time in the fight and after a delay Cruickshank said he couldn’t see, which is all they needed to hear to call the fight off. It was an unfortunate end to what was turning into an exciting fight.

Juliana Pena and Forrest Griffin were shown on the big screen and got zero reaction.

Jeremy Stephens (146lbs, 23-10) vs. Charles Oliveira (146.5lbs, 18-4, 1 NC) was our co-main event of the evening. Much of the first round saw Oliveira on his back and having the arm of Stephens with Stephens having to defend against an armbar. It was looking bad for Stephens at points but he persevered and was eventually able to escape and the end of the round saw some pretty even stand-up, so it’s Oliveira who wins the first round. The second round had Oliveira taking Stephens down early and able to get his back and Olvera transitioned into an armbar attempt, which he completed, but despite the hold being on tight, Stephens somehow escaped. Not long after, Oliveira almost had Stephens in the ‘Bronx choke’ but again, Stephens escaped. Oliveira took the back of Stephens and again transitioned into an armbar attempt and again Stephens was able to defend and then escape. Stephens showed great submission defence but that was still Oliveira’s round and Stephens needs a finish to win this. Stephens tried a kimura early but couldn’t quite get it and Oliveira was momentarily in control before they were back standing. The third round was fairly slow; the only real highlights were Oliveira pulling guard or dropping down, and Stephens casually backing off. Stephens did deliver some nice ground strikes at the end of the round which were likely enough to win the round for him but Oliveira wins this, either 30-27 or 29-28. Oliveira gets it with scores of 30-27, 29-28 and 29-28. Stephens looked surprised to lose and the fans weren’t happy, but there were no other viable scores. Stephens showed great defence for a lot of the first two rounds but that’s the point; he was on defence. If Stephens seriously thought he was going to win, he’s pulling a Schaub.

In studio between fights and Miesha Tate looks positively inhuman under the many layers of make-up she’s been caked under. On first glance, you wouldn’t even know it was her.

Carla Esparza (115lbs, 10-2) vs. Rose Namajunas (115lbs, 3-1) is our main event of the evening to crown the first ever UFC Women’s Strawweight champion. It may not mean anything in the end, but in the walk to the cage, Esparza looked beaten already, like she was walking to her execution. Conversely, Namajunas looked very confident, which showed in how aggressive she was in the first round as Namajunas pushed a relentless pace and it seemed like Esparza wasn’t ready for it or simply couldn’t mentally handle it. Esparza got a couple of nice takedowns but she was backing up for much of the round and seemed to be way off her game, so maybe Esparza was already beaten. Esparza got Namajunas down early in the second and landed some ground strikes before Namajunas got back standing, though it wasn’t long before the fight was back on the mat with Esparza in top position and Esparza seemed to be finding her groove and looking far more comfortable. Esparza got the mount late on and she poured it on in an attempt to get the finish but Namajunas managed to hold on as the round ended, and we finally have a fight. Esparza took Namajunas down almost right away in the third, quickly taking her back and maintain back control to land strikes; Esparza managed to grab a neck crank, turning it into a choke, and Namajunas was forced to tap out and Carla Esparza is the first ever UFC Women’s Strawweight champion.

Can’t say I’m too thrilled with Esparza winning as her matches haven’t been that enthralling when she’s in control, but she made Namajunas tap out, so it works out in the end.

Overall, it was a good night of action; the prelims warmed us up for the main card, which was pretty good, except for the no-contest in the Noons/Cruickshank fight.

• Paid Members

She’s a whinny

She's a horse noise?

Can't say I've found her annoying at all. She's hot as hell, and it's really cute the way she cries after winning (and after almost everything else too). And she's a great aggressive fighter.

• Paid Members

didn't watch the prelims but the main card was pretty cool, Esparza was a fitting first champion considering she was the Invicta champ, some would say she was unlucky not to be brought in as the champ considering a couple of other champs got it that way but now she's won it this way it's more fitting.

Really enjoyed Oliveira/Stephens, not quite sure how Stephens believed he had a case to win? he clearly lost rounds 1 & 2 and he lost them pretty big. Still it was a great fight.

Noons/Cruickshank sucked, eye pokes be ruining some good shit. I'd like to see a do-over. I'm fan of both guys.

...and Yancy Medeiros stood out again also, enjoy watching that guy fight. The Diaz-factor is good for him too.

You know your shit, far more than I do, but it takes a shit load of time to get through it.

It's not compulsory reading. If it's too difficult, might I suggest not bothering. I personally appreciate the effort Noah puts into his reviews. 

It was a decent show and Esparza was a worthy winner, even if stylistically I'm not a big fan. Rose is much more fun to watch but you always felt she had to finish early or be grapplefucked in the later rounds. She'll be back.

It's just a shame that Randa Markos lost as that would have been the next fight to make given her beef with the new champ. I loved the beatdown Torres put on Mangana and the fight between Calderwood and Ham was lots of fun. Excellent performances from Glenn Medeiros and Oliveira, who seems to have gone up a gear in recent months. 

• Paid Members

You know your shit, far more than I do, but it takes a shit load of time to get through it.

It's not compulsory reading. If it's too difficult, might I suggest not bothering. I personally appreciate the effort Noah puts into his reviews. 

It wasn't meant to be a go at Noah. He can do whatever the hell he wants. As I wrote, he's far more knowledgeable on MMA than I am and his stuff is really well written.

It's more a case of is all his good and detailed writing getting the response it deserves simply because of how long it takes to get through it that's all.

Since you've already said that you appreciate the effort he puts in then his work is vindicated and I'm talking out my arse.

Archived