UFC Ultimate Fighter 20: Team Pettis vs Team Melendez - Sep 10

wandshogun09

Who becomes first Strawweight champ?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

It was a decent episode this week.

Felice has reached FF levels of annoyance/

Angela Magana remains the most miserable human being on the planet.

Justine Kish is out due to a torn ACL. Dane White not only brings back Tecia Torres takes her place but also puts her on Team Pettis, and nobody is happy about any of that; Melendez isn't happy because of how much time he and his team put into training Torres, and Team Pettis aren't happy both because Torres lost and they feel she shouldn't be allowed back, and because she was with Team Melendez, which leads to them pretty much isolating her and treating like a pariah. Dana did remind Team Melendez that only one person can end up with the gold and it's a solo sport, no matter how much you might train together, though he should have given Team Pettis the same talk as well.

Felice Herrig beat Heather Clark by unanimous decision but it was a very dodgy call by the judges, to say the least, because whilst Herrig clearly won the second round, the first round should have gone to Clark because whilst both women had each other in trouble. Clark had Herrig in trouble for much more of the round and was far more dominant. And yet somehow, they give it to Herrig. Insane. In any event, Clark decides to squash her beef with Herrig after the fight and it appears that Herrig is accepting of that and things seem cool between them now.

Next week is Aisling Daly taking on Angela Magana. Can Magana break the Team Melendez duck as they have yet to win a fight? I hope not because Magana is the most miserable and annoying person the planet. The teaser for next week tells us that Magana opens up about her troubled past, but lots of people have troubled pasts and don't turn into miserable cunts.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that fight needed a third round. Wasn't that good of a fight but I'm with you that I don't really see how you give Herrig the first round. She definitely won the second but the first was Clark's to me. She had more of the round and she had a guillotine in pretty tight. Herrig had one decent armbar attempt and she finished the round on top in the last forty seconds or whatever it was. It was a fairly close round granted, but I don't think there was a particularly strong argument to give it to Herrig.

Oh well. Based on her performance against Tecia Torres, I think Randa Markos will most likely eliminate Herrig in the next round. Hopefully anyway.

Am I the only one who's starting to feel sorry for Heather Jo Clark? Especially when she came out for the fight and her team barely clapped or showed any support. It's getting to feel like full-on bullying at times to me. I don't find her particularly likable but fucking hell, she doesn't seem as bad as they're all making out to me. They're finding any reason to have a go at her every week, and Vinegar Tits Magana is the ring leader. Even after the fight Clark made peace with Herrig when a lot of fighters would've went in a massive sour grapes sulk after a close decision like that. She went up a bit in my estimation for that. I doubt Herrig would've been so gracious in defeat.

Speaking of Magana, I hope Aisling Daly knocks that could-turn-milk-sour look of her miserable face next week. What a horrible little joyless twat she comes across as. Is she ever happy? I think that preview for next week was the first time we've heard Daly speak on the show. She's barely had any air time at all.

Felt bad for Justine Kish as well. You never like to see someone taken out through injury without getting the chance to fight. I was quite interested to see her fight as well. It's been announced this week that the whole cast will be fighting at the Finale though, so I'm assuming she'll get a fight then.

The Torres to Team Pettis thing was a bit of a slap in the face to Melendez. But I get why they did it. I don't get the team loyalty really anyway, as Dana said it's a tournament. There can only be one winner and it's every woman for themselves. The only reason they're on teams is so they've got training partners on the show and so the coaches have groups to coach. I think the moaning about bringing her back was a bit silly. They had to bring someone back and who else were they going to choose?

It's not feeling like bullying; it is bullying, plain and simple They're being absolute cunts towards Heather Clark for no reason, and Magana is the worst of all, and she comes off worse than the rest because she's so miserable all the time. The only team you see her smile is when she's being a cunt towards Clark. I don't expect it at all, but I would like to, at some point, hear that some of the women have apologized to Clark once they see how terrible they're behaving and how badly they're coming across. It's really souring my enjoyment of the show to see such merciless and unwarranted bullying of someone for no reason other than to get off on being a cunt.

I'm losing interest in this to be honest lads. I mean, you must know the way these things are edited by now.

The fights so far have been dreadful, almost embarrassing at times. Hopefully they will pick up as we get nearer the final but I think I'm going to be fast forwarding through all the "drama" from now on. 

• Paid Members

I'm losing interest in this to be honest lads. I mean, you must know the way these things are edited by now.

Oh I definitely get that. But we can only go on what we see and in the case of someone like Magana, how much can the editing be a factor? She's coming off as a bit of a cunt, most likely because that's probably what she is. Or at least in this setting. Maybe she's different at home but the TUF house is bringing the worst out of her. But I'm not sure the editing has been such a massive part of how people have came across so far this season. Take Joanne Calderwood. She's come off well every time she's been featured. If you're generally a good person you'll give the editors very little material to paint you as a cunt.

I get what you're saying in general though. When you think it's a six week process and they have to condense it down to what, less than 13 hours? There's a shitload left on the cutting room floor and a ton of editing to spice certain stories up. But in general, they're only working with what they're given. Which so far has consisted of Magana moaning, Felice acting like a teenager, a lot of crying, Angela Hill farting and half the house slagging Heather Clark off. Yeah, the house stuff hasn't exactly been gripping, has it?

I have to agree on the fights as well. I don't think they've been that bad, but they've just all been underwhelming. Apart from Esparza's performance against Hill. I think it's mostly down to them all fighting 'safe' because of the tournament format. Which is totally understandable from the fighters' perspective but it still hurts the show from a viewers POV. I thought the seeding would help in that way. You'd think pitting the #1 vs #16, #2 vs #15 seed and so on would result in some exciting quick blowouts and finishes but it hasn't worked out that way at all. On paper it was a smart move by the UFC but it just hasn't gone the way I'm sure it was intended.

I do think the fights will pick up significantly down the stretch though. The women I was familiar with going in aren't known for having dull fights. I think once you get the dead wood out of the tournament and you're left with the top four, six or eight, you'll see some much better stuff. At the moment it's all about getting to the next round relatively unscathed.

• 2 weeks later...

Great clinical performance by Namajunas. Chambers didnt want anything to do with her after the first few exchanges. Rose moves really fluid in the cage aswell. Very impressed. Shame everyone on Team Melendez are absokute bitches barring Ellis and Heather.

Ais The Bash to win!

• Paid Members

Finally caught up on the last two episodes. The fights are finally picking up!

Daly vs Magana was pretty good. Was so glad Daly won. Still can't fucking stand Magana. Constant sour face, that worshipping the sun bollocks, the constant need to victimise someone (now Heather's been proven to be telling the truth about her knee injury, looks like Magana's focusing her bullying on Tecia Torres now), never ending complaining and bitching...just shut the fuck up. She's even more irritating than Felice Herrig now.

So yeah, I was chuffed Aisling Daly beat the twat. The standup was bullshit so I got Magana's gripe there, but still, once something like that happens just deal with it and move on. She had another round to win the fight and Daly battered her. Tough shit.

Loved the bit where Daly was watching the Dublin show as well.

This week's episode was the best of this season yet IMO. Had a bit of everything. Good fight with a finish, bit of bitchiness, the story of Rose's background (not everyone's a fan of that personal stuff but it's what TUF's meant to do, connect to the audience to certain fighters).

I thought Rose Namajunas looked fantastic. Totally dismantled Alex Chambers. I thought it was easily the best performance on the show so far. And it wasn't like Chambers wasn't game. She fucking CRACKED Rose with that right hand early. It was clear Rose was much more skilled though. This is how these first round fights should go. The seeding should've provided these type of showcase performances in the first round.

Seriously, Pettis and Melendez are the dullest thing about this show. Great, great fighters and no doubt valuable as coaches, but from the POV of watching an entertaining TV show, they're offering nothing. They've got literally nothing to say. About each other...or anything really.

Joanne Calderwood vs Rose Namajunas in the next round is going to be awesome! They're my two favourites on the show so I was hoping they'd both make the final. I'm rooting more for Calderwood though, but she's going to have to perform a lot better than she did in her first fight to beat Namajunas.

Magana is one of the most miserable human being's I've ever known; she bitches about everything. And if she's forced to stop bitching about something, in this case Heather Clark's knee, she finds something totally new and trivial to bitch about. It's like she cannot be happy, about anything. Also, credit to Bec Rawlings for somehow finding a way to erase all the goodwill I felt towards her by acting a like the worlds most immature douchebag towards Heather Clark; Bec, you're 25 not 15; act like it.

• Paid Members

Magana reminds me of a young version of Tony's mother in The Sopranos. Incapable of experiencing joy and just seems to feed off negativity and making others miserable.

That whole cliquey thing with Magana, Rawlings and that lot just seems like such immature, school bully mentality shit. Fair enough if you don't like someone, but they carry on like teenagers. Lisa Ellis saying they started giving her the deathstares just for talking to Clark and Torres, that sums up the immaturity for me. Some of these are in their late 20s/early 30s for fucks sake. I know editing plays a part but it's obvious that Magana is a real nasty piece of work.

I think so far Calderwood, Markos, Daly, Ellis and Chambers have come off as the coolest in the house. Even Namajunas has been kind of joining in with Magana's bitching, which is a bit disappointing.

• Paid Members

Aisling Daly confirms Angela Magana was a bit of a cunt on TUF;

“It was really great to get that win under my belt, especially against Angela of all people. She's not a nice person.

“She was using a lot of bullying tactics against different people in the house. If I'd have lost that fight to her she'd have never shut up. Putting her out of the competition early really made her quieten down. I couldn't have lived with myself if I lost that fight. She definitely didn't deserve it."

This week is the final first round fight then, with Tecia Torres vs Bec Rawlings.

So here's how the quarter finals are looking...

Carla Esparza vs Tecia Torres/Bec Rawlings

Aisling Daly vs Jessica Penne

Felice Herrig vs Randa Markos

Joanne Calderwood vs Rose Namajunas

Of those four, I'm most unsure about Calderwood vs Namajunas. If Torres beats Rawlings (I think she will) then Esparza vs Torres would be a tough one to call as well.

If I had to guess, I'd expect a semi final round of Esparza vs Penne and Markos vs Calderwood. With a final of Esparza vs Calderwood.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Namajunas makes the final and Markos is a bit of a darkhorse. I could even see Torres upsetting Esparza. It's really wide open.

I'd normally pick Torres to beat Rawlings every time but I've got a feeling she loses. Rawlings had been insinuating that Torres wasn't as good a fighter in the house because she had to be clean, it would seem a bit odd to do that if she had lost to her. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and I hope I'm wrong as Rawlings does my head in. Her and Magana are two big time twats.

Right now I'd predict the semis to be Esparza/Daly and Namajunas/Markos with a Esparza/Namajunas final. I'll be surprised if Esparza isn't in the final, the winner of Namajunas/Calderwood will probably be there. I hope it's Calderwood but it's a close one. Markos is definitely the dark horse.

More stupid teenage bullshit from Magana and the 'scrapettes'. Rose Namajunas at least as the excuse of being young, but the rest of the group continue to prove that growing up and growing old are two completely different things. Magana continues to be the most miserable person on the planet with even less maturity than Namajunas. Rawlings is almost as bad. Not that Team Pettis are much better because they're still bitching and moaning about Tecia Torrest being brought back; they keep bitching about it but they know full well that if they were in Tecia's shoes, they'd have jumped at the chance to get back in the competition.Melendez is an absolutely terrible coach, always making excuses and never accepting the fact that his fighter lost. And there is less than zero chemistry between Pettis and Melendez; the idea of TUF, apart from the tournament, is to build up something between the coaches to get you interested in them fighting, but there is absolutely none of that going on. There is no heat, no drama, not even a friendly rivalry; it's like they're not even acknowledging the other exists. Oh; and Felice is a cunt.

Archived