Dave Meltzer 5 star matches

Scorpion_Deathlock

Was browsing through this list of matches that Meltzer has given 5 stars too - 5 Star Matches & 2 things stuck out. Firstly, The Bushwhackers had a 5 star match! I haven't really seen much of there run as The Sheepherders but I'm guessing there wasn't a lot of face licking going on?

Secondly, amazed at the relatively small number of WWF/WWE matches on the list. Although I think it's a bit out of date as I'm sure Punk/Cena got the 5 stars too. Really surprised at Steamboat/Savage not being on the list.

Any matches you can think of that should have got the full whack?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would honestly rank Triple H vs The Rock at Judgement Day in the Iron Man match 5 stars but every one has different thoughts and enjoy different things. That list is just what Meltzer enjoys so doesn't really hold up IMO.

Yeah, I used to love star ratings but it washes over me a bit now. I think around 02-04 when a lot of Chinese and ROH matches were generating hundreds of snowflakes was the turning point. I would track them down to watch but out of context they were just alright, and some of them even less than that.

Butch's point about moods is key too. Ill sometimes watch that first Flair boxset from WWE and think nearly all of that is the best shit in the whole world, but other times I'm in absolutely no fettle whatsoever for it and I need some mid-90s WWF Clique razzle dazzle.

A huge, huge guilty pleasure for me and one of my favourite matches was that Speed Muscle/MCMGs...thing from Impact years ago. About ten minutes in length and the wrestling equivalent of a fireworks display, but I was completely hooked by it and watched it back loads. But others would rightfully consider that an insult to the very business.

• Paid Members
Yeah, I used to love star ratings but it washes over me a bit now. I think around 02-04 when a lot of Chinese and ROH matches were generating hundreds of snowflakes was the turning point. I would track them down to watch but out of context they were just alright, and some of them even less than that.

Yeah, context can be everything. Two of my favourite matches are not as special without context. Samoa Joe vs Austin Aries from Final Battle 2004 as a stand alone match is decent, but it becomes special juxtaposed to the title reign that Joe has had and the suggestion that he is worn down, as well as Aries ascent coming on the same night he leaped out of the pack of Gen Next to supplant Shelley as boss. Similarly my favourite match of all time, Musawa vs Kobashi from Navigate For Evolution 2003, is only what it is because of the context of their rivalry, the nods to previous matches, the fact that you know this is likely to be the last time they'll ever have THIS big a match, and that Kobashi's never beaten him for a singles title. It's an emotional roller coaster for anybody with knowledge of and invested in their histories. On it's own, it's a plodding match with some silly head drops thrown in. In context, it blows my mind.

• Paid Members

Hogan / Rock from Wrestlemania X8 deserves the five star treatment too. A very good match, and Hogan's best for a good few years at that point, but what a spectacle it was. Everything pro wrestling should be. What's doubly annoying is that Joe / Kobashi got *****, but it's just the indy version of the Hogan / Rock spectacular - a great wrestling match made significantly better by the atmosphere.

• Paid Members
I still can't believe neither of the Michaels/Undertaker matches got the nod, especially if the post above is correct and Cena/Punk got 5 stars.

Benoit/Jericho vs Hunter/Austin in May 2001 should definately have been *****. Probably Benoit/Angle from RR 03 too.

I think all of those got ****3/4, so they very nearly were.

For me, a lot of the AJPW matches on there deserve the five star treatment. However, there's quite a few anomalies on there to say the least. Also, the more recent NJPW five star bouts mainly consist of the Wrestlers involved beating the absolute shit out of each other with stiff elbows, kicks and nasty head-drops. Meltzer obviously enjoys his stiff bouts! Ishii/Shibata is a four star bout AT MOST in my opinion.

Taker/Michaels from WM25 should definitely be on there in my opinion, and the Cena/Punk match from MiTB should be scratched off. It was a great match, but too many flubs bring it down for me. As for Hogan/Rock? For atmosphere alone it was superb, but a five star wrestling match? Not a chance.

Joe/Kobashi isn't deserved either for me. Again, it's another example of giving a bout five stars just because it's amazingly stiff and contains lots of head/neck drops. Atmosphere-wise, it's fantastic, but for actual *wrestling* ... nah.

For me, Triple H/Rock at Judgment day was a very boring Iron Man match that was slow, plodding and relied on short-cuts to make it slightly worthwhile. I'd give that one three stars if I was feeling generous. Angle/Lesnar from 2003 is miles better and surely deserves five Meltzer snowflakes.

Possible considerations for five star treatment are ... Lesnar/Guerrero from No Way Out 2004, Angle/Benoit from Royal Rumble 2003, Austin/Rock from Wrestlemania 17, and possibly even Umaga/Cena from Royal Rumble 2007 ... !

The most recent deserved five star match for me that's on Meltzer's list is the amazing Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki bout from October 2012. It's simply incredible.

• Paid Members

I view Meltzer's (and anyone else's, for that matter) as a reflection of their opinion and as a bit of a guide. They're good for that.

You have to remember under the ratings system that anything **** and above is supposed to be pretty damn excellent, with ****1/2 and above representing the greatest matches of all time. Don't just look at the golden ***** as a be-all, end-all, since opinions do vary.

My five star list has Mayweather vs Big Show and Vince vs Hogan on it. I'd much rather watch my list.

Yes! if having a big fight feel counts towards a match's rating then this match nails it, also Hogan hulking up with the blood on his face is still one of the greatest things ever

Archived