Full-on gimmicks

IANdrewDiceClay

Chris Akabusi must be fucking exhausted by now, that guy is always on being super enthusiastic. Same with jazz hands Lionel Blaire. Let's not let a bit of nonceing take away the fact that Jimmy Sav was the gimmick king until Yewtree tore shit up.

• Paid Members

Anyone seen much of Johnny Rotten these days? He's quite the gimmick. Still has his punk haircuts and funny clothes, all the while trying to get himself on telly whenever he can. He's like Rik from the Young Ones these days. Big fan of the Pistols and PIL, but he's so over the top, its hard not to think he's putting it on for the cameras.

• Paid Members
Anyone seen much of Johnny Rotten these days? He's quite the gimmick. Still has his punk haircuts and funny clothes, all the while trying to get himself on telly whenever he can. He's like Rik from the Young Ones these days. Big fan of the Pistols and PIL, but he's so over the top, its hard not to think he's putting it on for the cameras.

I hope he is putting it on for the cameras. Authenticity is shite.

• Moderators

God, yeah. Great call. The panto dame of punk rock. That's him 24/7 though. They stuck him in the jungle and he kept it up for weeks. It's because of him that I'm a Celebrity got moved to a later timeslot, after he referred to the public as 'Fucking cunts' at 8pm on live TV.

I do love him, but he can be very embarrassing. His Fantasy World Cup performance, where he wouldn't shut up and was removed during the ad-break was awful.

• Paid Members

He's the king of the misfire. Fantasy World Cup was a big one, because you could tell he went on to be apart of the lad culture that was popular in Britain at the time. He went on all "oi, oi, Arsenal, come on you gooners" and all that, and really died on his arse by the end of the commercial break. About a year ago he dropped another clanger when he said "listen when a man is talking" to a female presenter in Australia and it dropped him right in it. I dont even think he was looking for trouble. He seemed to misjudge it and went on the offensive when he said it (because he's a pantomime dame and cant drop the gimmick to apologise if he cocked up). He reminds me so much of Roddy Piper. He never shuts up for even 2 seconds in interviews and he's always laughing when there should be a silence. He says so much during an interview, you cant help but think "he's definitely lying in 90% of this". His book is amazing. All this stuff about Vivianne Westwood stealing his ideas and how the guitarist gave the bassist a spunk sandwich when they were on tour. He's very much like a lot of old wrestlers who got famous so young and got sucked into the game, he never quite got out of it.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

What about Eubank? I know boxing isn't that far removed from wrestling in terms of using gimmicks to promote yourself, but he really seems to live his. I remember listening to the old Danny Baker radio show years ago and him telling a story about how Eubank used to block traffic in London with his big juggernaut, honking the horn loudly and shouting out the window "EUBANK IS HERE! EUBANK IS HERE!". I also remember a NOTW expose with his wife after their marriage broke down. I was hooked as soon as I saw the blurb in the middle of the article:

I knew things had gone too far when Chris found a tramp and brought him home to live with us

• Moderators
He's the king of the misfire. Fantasy World Cup was a big one, because you could tell he went on to be apart of the lad culture that was popular in Britain at the time. He went on all "oi, oi, Arsenal, come on you gooners" and all that, and really died on his arse by the end of the commercial break. About a year ago he dropped another clanger when he said "listen when a man is talking" to a female presenter in Australia and it dropped him right in it. I dont even think he was looking for trouble. He seemed to misjudge it and went on the offensive when he said it (because he's a pantomime dame and cant drop the gimmick to apologise if he cocked up). He reminds me so much of Roddy Piper. He never shuts up for even 2 seconds in interviews and he's always laughing when there should be a silence. He says so much during an interview, you cant help but think "he's definitely lying in 90% of this". His book is amazing. All this stuff about Vivianne Westwood stealing his ideas and how the guitarist gave the bassist a spunk sandwich when they were on tour. He's very much like a lot of old wrestlers who got famous so young and got sucked into the game, he never quite got out of it.

The Piper/Lydon comparison is spot on. They both got over as crazy young men who still do the wild-eyed thing now, but everyone's wiser to that kind of stuff so it's very cartoony in 2014. Lydon was giving it the mad eyed stare when he was on Newsnight, waffling on about not much over the top of everyone else.

The Sex Pistols were the punk equivalent of The Monkees. Whilst they were all musicians who wrote all their own music the band was still brought together by a Svengali figure for the sole purpose of making records and being a commercial success.

While nobody would dispute McLaren's part in it all, this is up there with "Well, Star Wars is just a remake of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress" in Sixth Form Common Room Opinions.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

While nobody would dispute McLaren's part in it all, this is up there with "Well, Star Wars is just a remake of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress" in Sixth Form Common Room Opinions.

Damn! I thought it was all about the E E 'Doc' Smith 'Lensman' remake. Fucking Grammar School Common Rooms

• Moderators
This thread popped into my head earlier when I saw a tweet from Russell Brand.

I was going to suggest Russell Brand back when I first saw the thread, but he's done a half-arsed gimmick change over the last year.

The "use big words but say nothing of substance" gimmick?

• Paid Members

Johnny Rotten is a very good shout. Cut some good promos on Jordan in I'm A Celebrity. "It ain't funny anymore. It don't contribute. It's a parasite". Wasn't he in full gimmick on Judge Judy one time or something?