WWE Battleground

Up Chuck

I agree with the comments about those being in the crowd....fuck paying for seats at a ppv to be treated to that ending in a WWE Title match! Surely the 'E has more than referees so why didn't another one come out to continue the match? Shite ending to a ppv.

The Rhodes' vs Shield match was great. All of them were on the top of their games. Great ending too. That cross-Rhodes was awesome. As was the Cesaro Swing. Why the hell was Khali counting out loud whilst being pinned?!? Jings.

The rest of the show was so-so for me. Even Punk-Ryback didn't hold my attention, plus the ending made Ryberg look a chump again. That's 2 ppv matches with Punk that he's been pinned after a shot to the balls....he better start wearing a cup!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but most likely we will just get Bryan Vs. Orton in the cell.

That was my exact thought... The whole " no one can get in to interfere" thing being the selling point. If Bryan doesn't win decisively there the they might just kill the momentum he has. They've kinds botched things these past few weeks, it's like they started off really hot then got lost. And now they don't know how to finish the story.

It's interesting reading the comments as I remember only a few years ago the Mania plans were in place by October. Perhaps they are, and that's where a lot of the focus has went, or they really don't have a scooby about anything right now!

• Paid Members
My main hope after that terrible finish is that we get a one night tournament for the title but most likely we will just get Bryan Vs. Orton in the cell.

That was my exact thought... The whole " no one can get in to interfere" thing being the selling point.

I hate it. The convoluted nature of a feud (or feuds) escalating to the point that it justifies the Cell conveniently in time for an October PPV is really naff, and feels more forced this year than ever before.

I forgot they had Hell In A Cell between now and Survivors, this afternoon I convinced myself that they were so in love with rehashing the Corporation storyline that were going to have a Deadly Game title tournament 15 years on from The Rock's big night out, with the twist being thus - Orton gets eliminated, perhaps by Bryan in a quarter-final (which they both get buys to, in another nod to Survivors '98). Fans rejoice. Final of Punk vs Bryan, with Vince interfering and Punk winning. Punk reinvented as the new Corporate champion, pissing on all the alternative lifestyle principles he's always extolled and becoming even more loathsome for selling out his own values for the almighty dollar. Everybody hates a hypocrite, don't they?

A spot of fantasy booking - my mate asked me if they'd have the patience to save the climactic Punk v Bryan for the title for Mania 30 - of course not. I'd envisage a couple of Punk/Bryan matches where Hunter costs Bryan the title some more, since I think Hunter will be Bryan's final big obstacle. Eventually on the way to Mania, Vince's latest puppet loses the title to John Cena, thanks to some shocking interference from Steve Austin, who got bored watching the Corporate shenanigans on TV every week and just fancied screwing over his old nemesis Vince one more time, and pouring a Steveweiser over the straight-edge sellout. Cena regains the WWE title, just in time to go to Mania to face Rumble winner The Undertaker.

Mania -

John Cena VS The Undertaker

CM Punk VS Steve Austin

The Rock VS Brock Lesnar

Daniel Bryan VS Triple H

OK, it's not going to happen. But a man can dream.

• Paid Members

They'll have the shell of a WrestleMania card. It all depends on if they get Sting, Goldberg, Hogan, Rock and Austin before the transfer window closes. This is the first year you can realistically get everyone on the one card. It would be quite expensive, though. But they can more than afford it for Mania 30. The fact they have spoken with or thrown out feelers to all 5 of them scares me at how amazing WrestleMania XXX sounds.

The thing with all of the legends is, this is the last big one for them all. The fact Goldberg is back kissing WWE's arse tells you the money that must be on the table. The big one if Steve Austin. He has to seriously think that if he doesn't do WrestleMania 30, he's simply never coming back. The timing is right and with all the miles on his body, you'd think once he gets past 50, he'll never do another match. Mania 30 is going to be a big one. Its the perfect event for him to return. Austin vs Cena would be huge. People talk about Austin vs Punk or Austin vs Triple H, but Austin vs Cena would be the one I'd look forward to. That's never been done.

• Paid Members
As was the Cesaro Swing. Why the hell was Khali counting out loud whilst being pinned?!? Jings.

I let out a hearty belly laugh at that. I think that set two firsts in my 23 years of wrestling watching there - don't believe I've ever seen anyone pinned after a giant swing, or count along with their own demise! I was a bit concerned Khali's knees were just going to pop out of their sockets during the move, though.

Rhodes vs. Shield undoubtedly the highlight of the night. I love all 3 Rhodes boys, and they certainly delivered. I will confess to a brief welling up when they showed Dusty doing likewise. He's by far my favourite "legend".

Austin vs Cena would be huge. People talk about Austin vs Punk or Austin vs Triple H, but Austin vs Cena would be the one I'd look forward to. That's never been done.

Austin vs. Cena is probably the more interesting dynamic character wise. Punk's not really the straight edge character he once was, while Cena's a hero who does the right thing and is hated, Austin's an antihero hero for doing the wrong thing and is loved.

• Paid Members

Well Rhodes/Shield was pretty bloody fantastic. That's as good as pro wrestling gets. The underdog brave babyfaces defeat the odds against the dastardly dominant heels. Just goes to show that when you make the effort with the booking and give people a reason to care that they will care. It's just a shame that this match took place on a PPV that most the fans didn't bother to buy because everything else on it was so boring, pointless and uninspiring. I'm hoping Cody Rhodes can keep the momentum going, he's a better fiery babyface than Dolph Ziggler. Also, Roman Reigns is just the baddest mofo around, can't wait till he's inevitably headlining a few years down the road. My only complaint would be that this match didn't take place at Wrestlemania 30.

• Paid Members

So despite a notification from the WWE app spoiling Big Show getting involved in the main event the second I turned my phone on this morning, I ended up enjoying some of this. First 4 matches were nothing, but the Rhodes/Shield tag is one of my favourite matches all year. Goldust was at his absolute best, Cody was quality too, Dusty had me jumping out of my seat when he took his belt off and the Shield were just PERFECT foils for it all. What a match.

Elsewhere, Kofi/Wyatt was exactly as good but pointless as I expected. A TV match all the way. As the main event would've been, had they chopped the ten minutes it took to get going. It ended up red hot, just like every other Daniel Bryan match. But man, that finish. I mean no fucker will have bought this anyway, but still. What a piss-take. Orton could've at least pinned him before getting KOd.

That tag was tremendous. Had me on the edge of my seat, easily high up in the ranks for Match of the Year!. Goldust performed for his life last night, I hope this ends up in a Cody vs. Goldust match at Wrestlemania or at-least the Rumble. Dusty was tremendous too. Hell, a man can dream by a 6 man HITC Shield Vs. Rhodes Family would have my dollar!

Cesaro is also the man.

If they do go with Shield vs. Rhodes Family at HiaC I'm glad they have the no blood policy. You know otherwise that Dusty would bleed a gusher and the match would end up looking like a very disturbing VT for children in need about the abuse of the elderly.

The Rhodes vs Shield was easily the match of the night. The WWE Title match was going somewhere until the Big Slow arrived. Overall it felt like an episode of Raw. This is why I said there shouldn't be 2 PPVs in October as WWE never builds into the first one in October properly. If it was only HIAC they could give a better build towards that and people would care about it.

Archived