WWE Battleground

Up Chuck

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't expecting much from this show coming only a few weeks after NOC, but enjoyed it for the most part.

* Del Rio vs. RVD was an enjoyable hardcore match and even though I can't see anything in Del Rio, Ijust don't buy RVD winning a world title at this stage in his career.

* Found it funny when the crowd was chanting "USA!" when Cesaro and Khali were in the ring. Don't know if they were being ironic or just daft. Awesome giant swing, and I noticed Khali counting along with the 3 count also. Obviously broke his internal metronome.

* Axel/R-Truth - could the crowd have been any less interested in this?

* Divas match was OK, but could have easilly been done on TV

* Rhodes Family vs. The Shield was great and the crowd were really invested in it too. Great pop at the end off of the super Cross-Rhodes. The more I watch Roman Reigns, the more I think he's going to the breakout guy from when The Shield go there separate ways. He just seems to get it, his selling is great without being over the top and he looks hard as nails as a wrestler should do. Much as I like Ambrose and Rollins, I just don't see them going any higher than the midcard unless they really pull something special out of the bag.

* Wyatt/Kingston was again OK, but nothing better than a TV level match, and that Spider walk was a bit odd.

* Punk/Ryback was OK but I didn't like the lowblow finish. When Punk hit it I was expecting him to then hit the GTS, but instead we got the pin and just felt like "oh...ok then". Ryback needs some kind of win on PPV to get some sort of momentum back. Is it one win on PPV in the last year hes had? (vs. Chris Jericho at Payback)

* Bryan/Orton was another solid match from both men only to be let down by a non-finish. I wouldn't have minded who won out of either of them, but it needed a definitive finish. Like someone posted a few posts back ,you can get away with non-finishes on TV because its free, but getting people to pay for it and giving them a non-finish is pretty shit. The story is obviously going to run for a bit longer, and I expect Bryan to win the title in the end, but hes so over it wouldn't have hurt to have had Orton win the belt.

While it might not be the show of the year, it was better than I was expecting it to be

Anyone else think Goldust's facepaint was channelling Darth Maul from Star Wars?

Yeah he has a couple of Darth Maul style t-shirts available over at prowrestltingtees.com which have been on sale for the last month or so.

shattered_black.jpg

• Paid Members

I was at Battleground. Buffalo is not that far from where I live. It was the first WWE event I've been to, since I moved to the US. Obviously the shows are always better live as you get into the action more but I was definitely disappointed with some parts. However, getting to see Dusty Rhodes pretty awesome. The Rhodes Family vs. The Shield was almost worth the money alone. A really amazing moment, the crowd was deafening. Not sure how well that came over on TV.

• Awards Moderator
One other thing, after the 'Real American's' match. Did anyone notice that Cesaro went in for a hug on Swagger, but the pair got into a bit of a shoving match? Is there a bit of hostility between the two?

Yeah that was a strange one. Not sure if the start of an angle or "get off me you bummer".

They sure did love the slow mo camera replays. And so did I :-) On a similar technical note, the direction was pants - so often it would cut away to the crowd or something meaningless when a big move was about to hit.

• Paid Members
One other thing, after the 'Real American's' match. Did anyone notice that Cesaro went in for a hug on Swagger, but the pair got into a bit of a shoving match? Is there a bit of hostility between the two?

Yeah that was a strange one. Not sure if the start of an angle or "get off me you bummer".

I rewound it to take a second look as it looked odd, and on a second watch I think it was the latter. There was no real meat behind the shoves, and Swagger's got a sort of grin throughout.

Odd, however, given that you'd assume a Cesaro turn on Jack & Zeb is not a million miles away if things like the swing keep getting him positive reactions.

Archived