WWE Battleground

Up Chuck

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Its all for storyline gain and whatever, but you have to feel for the live crowd that paid money to go to this, have a load of shit filler matches, Rhodes Dynasty be the only saving grace and then have a main event match with a finish I wouldn't even expect on RAW. Speaking of the Dynasty though, what a match that was, hopefully Dustin sticks around for a while now.

• Paid Members

Wasn’t really much of a PPV to be honest. Just an episode of Raw. Some of the finishes were a quite mad. Especially the main event. I know its only Battleground, but that ending was just weird for a pay-per-view. Insulting in fact. If this was second from the top, fair enough. But to end something people paid for in that manner is dog shit. Still no WWE champion. Orton vs. Bryan itself was good, but you know what you are getting with this pair. And it was probably the least exciting of their series, so a horrible finish wasn’t what the doctor ordered at all. I mean, that's three fuck finishes in a row in the title match of PPVs involving Daniel Bryan. Believe must be diminishing per PPV for people who are super into him. The Punk and Ryback match should have been saved for Smackdown as well. Having him lose to a kick in the balls was as bad a finish as you can get. What a clown Ryback looked.

A few other things:

Antonio Cesaro’s big swing on the Great Khali was amazing. Cesaro does things that would make a non-wrestling fan drop his jaw. That spot was one of my favourite things in ages. People just love him. His stuff is cool as fuck.

The Rhodes vs. Shield match was great. The promo from all three of them was great. Dustin Rhodes Indian summer is quite something. He’s doing things he wasn’t doing back in 95-96. That backwards cross body was awesome. He’s quicker than he’s been in years. Dusty was class at ringside as well. They made it a big deal as well, with all the wrestlers coming out at the end. I love stuff like this, just so you can see who wants the camera time the most. Kofi won. He was all up in the camera. The pats on the back of Cody was the stiffest things all night.

I’m hoping Bray Wyatt suddenly blows up like Ryback last year when he was dull as and having pointless matches. Its impossible to care about his bouts, because Wyatt does nothing. Bray Wyatt is an E-Fed character come to life. He talks a lot, but never follows up on it. And when he follows up on it, its usually against the likes of R-Truth and Kofi. Everyone was expecting him to be like a Leatherface/Charles Manson hybrid, and he’s more like some weirdo you get in the town centre trying to flog you the Church booklet. That upside own spider walk he did (inspired from that scene in the Exorcist) would have been great if the act was over to a significant level and the fans had a sense of anticipation about Wyatt. But they don’t. Shame really. He looks great, talks great and he can go, but there’s nothing to this angle. This would have been how Mankind ended up in his first few months, had he debuted against pure shite. Wrestling people who aren’t over is doing him no favours.

JBL’s commentary reached new levels of shit. He was mumbling his way through the night. Almost as bad were Albert, Titus and The Miz. A panel worse than Hansen, Lawrenson and Lineker. Those three were the pits. Albert was decent actually. They should keep him on there. Miz was a gonk, though. He’s a Redknapp or Townsend type. Hasn’t got a clue what he’s talking about, but opens his gob anyway. That's about it really. Bit of a pointless night. Few things got progressed at all.

• Paid Members

I was 100% into that Rhodes match. Jumping out of my seat and punching the air and all sorts. Totally into it. The rest was immediately forgettable bar Cesaro's swing.

I'll echo what seems to be the general consensus that aside from the almighty Shield/Rhodes match this PPV was a bit of a dud.

But i'm still glad i stayed up to watch it because the aforementioned tag match was really something special. I've been big fan of Cody for years and it's great to see him get a bigger push since MITB. Goldust has always been awesome IMO but as Ian has said he looks and performs better now than he did ten years ago so i really hope he sticks around for a long time now.

With all the drama about refunds after the last PPV I find it staggering they've ended another PPV with a shit non-finish.

Rhodes/Shield/Big Swing aside that was pretty crap.

All the momentum they seemed to be building in the Summer has gradually gone over the last few weeks.

I actually thought the main was turning into an great match, one of the best Randy performances in a long time. Fuck the end ragged though. They''re doing a bang up job of killing any anticipation this title chase might have had. Big Show looks like a prick that ruined a class match rather than a hero getting his big baby payoff. I still believe this match shouldn't have happened again so soon in the first place cos all you get is backed- into a-corner shite like this.

Cody brought the goods with his promo. Goldust completely outshined him in the ring though. Excellent match and moment and I'm chuffed Goldust is sticking about (Goldust vs Ambrose feud please!).

Wyatt shouldn't be having competitive matches with scrubs like Kingston and Ryder, just let him squash fuckers. His stuff looks viscous enough.

The divas was decent enough, Punk/Ryback was boring shite and a stupid finish, int. title match I had a nice cuppa, Rio/RVD was as good as an RVD match is gonna get. Zeb's promos are hilarious these days and Cesaro being an idiot in the background makes it even better. Ahh . . . Cesaro.

I fucking love Cesaro.

That Cross Rhodes needs a gif, I jumped out of my chair when he hit that.

The ending however, I sat there just waiting for one of them to stir, then when Show's music hit again I realised they were actually ending it like this. Second PPV this year where the main event has ended with a no finish.

I'm more and more convinced that they've booked themselves ino a corner and are struggling to find a way out.

Also, the company couldn't need Cena any more. They're like Oscar Pistorius, if someone had nicked his blade. He's still technically athletic, and I'm sure he could hop like a motherfucker, but he ain't gonna win a race and he's always in danger of toppling over.

• Paid Members

It was always going to be a struggle with a lot of the near pointless matches, but some of the finishes in the matches worth bothering with were something you imagine they keep in the Smackdown auto-pilot folder. It's a shame because Bryan/Orton was good, the Rhodes match was exciting and Cesaro needs to do the big swing to Khali again tomorrow on Raw, with Khali again loudly counting the 1-2-3.

The end of that Bryan/Orton match was something else. In Bryan's case, he's usually always been able to take what they've thrown at him and turn it into something he'll get over with, but I'm no longer that interested in Bryan as champion. This story they're trying to tell needs a kick up the arse on Raw. I'd maybe even have Orton win the title and keep it until Cena comes back to save the day.

I suppose I shouldn't grumble too much. WWE isn't as bad as the slop we were getting last year, where I was waiting for The Rock or Lesnar to turn up in January. That's the trouble with this time of year, essentially the next show worth getting excited about is the Rumble in January and WWE seem to lose steam with their big Summer angle around about HIAC/Survivor Series.

Well I thought that was brilliant. Maybe it's beacuse I haven't seen a PPV in a while, but I loved it.

Van Dam/ Del Rio was great. Van Dam looked slick, best i've seen him in a long time. The Rhodes match was excellent. Had a drama in it that most good matches lack. I don't think there was a bad match. Even the matches the crowd weren't into were good enough for me. The main event was good, but the ending was flat. The Big Show run in was good, but there should have been a finish after that. But yeah, overall a big thumbs up from me. Everybody seemed to up their game.

Archived