Dreams.

John Matrix

• Moderators

I was watching a box set of a TV show that ran for one series in 1992 about LL Cool J as the preacher of a gospel church in 1930's dustbowl America. When he wasn't doing sermons to old ladies, he was a secretly philandering criminal type. As punishment, God was constantly cursing him with disasters and plagues. But the Devil had taken LL Cool J's side, both because he liked his bad boy ways, and because doing so pissed off God, so the church became this battleground of the creepy religious war between God and the Devil, with LL Cool J literally and figuratively caught between both sides.

Then I was in the show, driving past in an old timey car when there was a big explosion that blew out one of the floors of LL Cool J's church, which was like a multi-storied house in New Orleans. Some of his parishioners were stranded on the edge of the building, about to fall and screaming for help, so I fashioned a landing pad out of a sheet, which I stretched over the spiked railings below. One of them was in a wooden wheelchair and laughed at me because he was just pretending to be stranded, and floated down like a ghost.

I climbed up and into the church, which was rotten and decaying where the Devil had infected the place. It was raining inside, and filled with pickled babies in jars and lambs with multiple heads.

I'm off to pitch this to HBO.

• Paid Members

Had a terrifying one last night that something was murdering people and hanging them from the tops of trees near where I live. Then it switched to a dream where I was having it off with Kayden Kross.

The night before that I dreamt I'd won £2100. I was dead pissed off when I woke up and realised I was skint. I hate dreams where I win money.

Last night I was a new detective investigating a Se7en-esque serial killer case, and my partner was Sly Stallone working his last case before retirement. Bruce Willis kept popping up now and again and everyone would refer to him as the best detective ever but a bit of a nutter. The serial killer ended up getting to Sly (RIP) so Willis had to become my new partner. He found the serial killer immediately and shot the fucker to death. I woke up before I got to see who the killer was  :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I had a really elaborate dream last night, grand scale, like a fucking horror movie.

Start out nicely enough, was on holiday with a couple of friends when a bomb went off killing everyone in the hotel except for us.  The part of the complex we were in was crumbling, so we had to find somewhere safe – for whatever reason, we didn’t consider just going outside, and instead, found a boarded up door at the end of a corridor where our room was.

We busted it down and it opened up into almost a mirror image of the hotel, but very dark and damaged, like it had been neglected for years.  Turned out to be a decommissioned section of the hotel, where guests had been trapped in when it was shut down (or had seemingly the only exit nailed shut), and they had evolved into feral monster like creatures who looked a bit like the mutants from Total Recall (the good one).

Queue a period of Dredd style combat as we fought our way down the levels getting attacked relentlessly by mental tormented souls before we got to the ground floor and were surrounded, a bit like the end of Predator 2, only for us to be-friend them and have a bit of a sing song.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

So over the Christmas period, i had, potentially, my weirdest dream to date.

Mrs Matrix was pestering me to tell her what I wanted for pudding after Christmas dinner because she had to place the order online.  I told her I wanted a jelly stuffed with fruit pastilles made in a mould the shape of Taribo West.

• Paid Members

Just woke up, so logging this while I can remember it.

It started in a chip shop where G-man had wired up some sort of combined CCTV / TV system, which then changed into a music shop where I was fiddling around on this flat, paddle shaped Encore that the previous owner had filed the frets down on.

A gothic version of Jamie Leckie turned up, and one of the shop staff offered to teach me how to solo properly, even though he thought mixolydian was "unconventional" and I had to demonstrate it to him on a big furry cushion.

He sent me out into the street with the guitar to play over some backing tracks, and whilst out there I made myself a little promo video with some seashells on a pile of builders sand.

From there it changed to a day trip with the all Spencer Tunick people. We were in a big ballroom style room when Margaret (who was wearing a big Elizabethan style dress) needed to get some air. She then turned in Ruth Madoc and started speaking in that husky voice that's supposed to be sexy but in reality is quite intimidating.

Less cheese before bed, I think.

My dreams are getting worse.

Four or five times a week at the moment I'm having those really intense vivid dreams - you know the ones where you wake up more tired than when you fall asleep - and it's starting to affect me at work now which isnt good.  They seem to be random but have a few core characters who are a couple of my close friends and some of their friends that i've never actually met which is a bit weird.  They tend to be quite short (maybe 30-60 mins) but when I wake up from them I'm struggling to go back to sleep.  

It's getting to the point where I'm pretty much passing out from tiredness rather than falling asleep quite a lot of the time now.

• 3 weeks later...

How much stock does everyone put in the supposed meaning of dreams? I quite often look up what something I've dreamt about and what it's supposed to mean, sometimes they make sense but often it seems like a lot of pish.

I ask because last night I was deep in thought about how I feel like I'm not in charge of my own life and how sick of it I am. I later dreamt that I was trying to get on a train but the small corridor between the door and the carriage kept getting narrower and I couldn't get into the carriage. People were shouting at me from behind because they wanted to get through but I was stuck. I ended up screaming out in anger and woke myself up. Supposedly the train signifies I'm trying to make a move in the right direction with my life, but the narrowing corridor signifies I don't have the freedom to actually do it, I'm being restricted because I'm not the one in control.

Like I said, I don't usually put a lot of stock into these things, but the supposed meaning of this dream is exactly what I was feeling before I went to sleep, and I probably wouldn't have been able to put it in such clear terms had I not looked up the meaning of the dream.

• 1 month later...

So I had the most vivid and scary dream I think I have ever had before! I've also never dreamt about something like this before.

I was in London with an ex and a couple friends, just driving around. Then we decided to go to America. So we got on a plane (what seemed like a private plane as it was small and pretty nice).

Then the plane had trouble in the air and it was going to crash, so had to relax everyone. But then I felt it hit the ground... We all were fine, and my ex said "are we dead" to which I replied "of course not, I can see you and you're speaking to me!"... But in my mind I thought "shit maybe we are? How would I know?"

So I said to her "ok I whats my name?? Surely you will know that" and then she just looked blankly at me and said something like "banana" or equally stupid.

she didn't know my name, and that convinced me we were dead. We got off and went to go find people (it crashed in London) and we went to a bus stop where no one could hear me or see me. It was so frightening!

There was a conversation with one of my friends, and I was getting worried. But luckily I woke up. Still think about it now.

The weird part is this...

Today a german plane crashed over the French Alps, with 150 people dead.

Right after I have a dream about the same thing.

(I don't want to trivialise the actual plane crash as that's horrible, I'm also not saying I "saw" it or anything. Just saying how freaky it was to wake up and see that happen today... Still can't get it off my mind now.)