UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There were points in the fight where it reminded me of Rocky vs Apollo Creed. Like between rounds when they showed Jones in his corner with a look on his face that said 'this was meant to be easy, what am I doing in round 4?'.

When it was over and they hugged I could swear I lipread Jones saying "ain't gonna be no rematch, ain't gonna be no rematch". Even that Jones-Gusty picture reminds me of the bit when Rocky visits Apollo in hospital at the start of Rocky II.

All that's left now is for Gustafsson to win the rematch, grab the mic and shout "Yo Some Fucker, I did it!".

I've thought about this too much.

• Paid Members
There were points in the fight where it reminded me of Rocky vs Apollo Creed. Like between rounds when they showed Jones in his corner with a look on his face that said 'this was meant to be easy, what am I doing in round 4?'.

When it was over and they hugged I could swear I lipread Jones saying "ain't gonna be no rematch, ain't gonna be no rematch". Even that Jones-Gusty picture reminds me of the bit when Rocky visits Apollo in hospital at the start of Rocky II.

All that's left now is for Gustafsson to win the rematch, grab the mic and shout "Yo Some Fucker, I did it!".

I've thought about this too much.

Yeah, but once Gustaffson's defended against a few bums, he's going to run into a problem:

mov_Ateam_100112.grid-6x2.jpg

Everyone's hung up on the main event, understandably, but how about Khabib absolutely tooling Pat Healy? I have to admit, between him and Khabilov, I've got a bit of a man-crush on these new Russians at 155lbs. Now I just wish Khabib would change his nickname from "The Eagle" to "Armageddon", because Khabib "Armageddon" Nurmagomedov is fun to say.

On the main event, I had Jones winning, for what it's worth. And although I was so impressed with Gustafsson and loved the fight, I'd personally rather see Glover get his shot before a rematch. Not because I think he'll do better - I actually think he matches up to Jones much less well - but because I'm generally not a fan of immediate rematches outside of an undeniably controversial decision. For me this was a close decision, but I imagine even the people who think Gustafsson won can say, "but yeah, I suppose I can see how someone might have it for Jones". And right now Glover has earned his shot. What I'd hate to see is Gustafsson get a rematch and then Glover lose in a filler fight, killing all his momentum. In an ideal world, I want to see Jon Jones taking on as many new contenders as possible, and while there's a legitimate option for that, I'd like to see them take it. (And, actually, I have a feeling Jon Jones probably feels the same way). Naturally, though, I don't believe for a second the UFC will be able to resist the immediate rematch. The press they'll have gotten from this will be glowing and a second fight will sell. It's a just a shame for Glover.

• Paid Members

I posted the pic of facebook and a friend of mine replied saying exactly the same thing :)

In regards to textonly's post above. Yep, Khabib was awesome. The guy is legit. the standup battle was hardly a fine demonstration of the sweet science but one of the interesting things about MMA, being totally unconventional can be a advantage and i don't think ive seen anyone throw strikes like Nurmagmedov, he's effective though.

Grappling wise, he's going to be a nightmare for anyone he fights. If you've ever watched Pay Healy fight before you'll know nobody ever does that to him, the fact that Healy had no success against Nurmagadov is just a testmaent to how good the kid is. Calling for a title shot is a bit premature, despite being 5-0 he's needs a top 5 win. I'm up for Benson/Nurmagamedov.

and i too have en erection for Russian fighters.

One other thing id like to tough on is, Francis Carmont, dunno if it's the same for anyone else but the guy just does nothing for me. 6-0 at 185lb you'd think he'd be knocking on the door of a title shot, but i have little desire to see the guy compete :(

• Paid Members

:laugh: Fucking brilliant, kudos.

haha, great work. I was actually thinking of Some Fucker during the fight some reason.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Khabib looked excellent. I knew he was good but doing that to a guy like Pat Healy is next level stuff. It was one of those fights like Maia-Fitch where he shut Healy down and pretty much beat him at his own game.

The title shot callout does seem a little bit soon. But then, he's 21-0 in MMA and 5-0 in the UFC. And he's beat some very good fighters. Healy was getting the Strikeforce title shot before the company went down, and just dominated and finished Jim Miller. Wins over Tibau and Tavares were impressive as well.

He probably could do with a bigger name win, like Benson. But if you look at the division now, it's in a rebuilding phase where all the top guys have had title shots recently. Grant is out indefinitely, Maynard, Cerrone and Diaz have all lost recently. Hopefully Grant will be ready to go in time to meet the winner of Pettis-Thomson, but if he's not I could see a Khabib or Dos Anjos sneak in there simply because they don't really have any other choices while the bigger names build themselves back up.

So yeah, Khabib vs Benson would be ideal.

The only thing that would worry me about Khabib fighting Pettis, is that Khabib is not a conventional wrestler in the sense his strengths are not from straight takedowns, more from clinches and throws. I think Pettis would have to control the distance really well so not to get clinched. Striking wise Khabib should be fairly easy for Pettis to pick apart, such is the gulf in the striking refinement between the two fighters.

• Paid Members

the way Khabib comes in you'd expect a good striker (especially off the back foot) would pick him off all day...once the dude gets his hands on people though you aint getting the fucker off. It'd be an interesting fight.

• Paid Members

Chael Sonnen on the Jones-Gustafsson fight;

"I had Gustafsson, but I do not dispute the decision. It was very close. It could've gone either way. Perhaps if I re-watched it, I'd have a different answer. But when the fight was over, I did think we were going to hear, 'And new UFC champion.'"

I did think we were witnessing history. And I did think that Jon would shut down and wilt, and he didn't at all. Do I respect him even more now? Yes.

Those elbows and the spinning elbows, and the step-in and the lead elbows that Jon landed, you can't practice those. Jon can hit mitts and he can throw those at the air, but the only time you can actually throw those at a target is in a fight. If you do that stuff in practice you won't have any partners. You'll put 'em out. So for Jon to be that spot-on, that accurate while his eye is bleeding, while he's physically exhausted, while he's stressed and worried about losing his championship, and to still keep finding that target, was really quite remarkable from an athletic standpoint.

The best fight in history. There's some guys that were saying, 'This is one of the best fights in the history of the light heavyweight division.' Eh, you don't need to narrow it down that far. That's the best fight in the light heavyweight division history, I don't think there's any argument there. And you know, we do have short terms memories.

Next week we see another great fight and we declare it the greatest fight in history. Greatness is something that we have to be reminded of very often as human beings. But with all that said, yes, that's my vote, that's the fight, best of all-time."

That's a great point on the elbows. You don't see guys be that effective in MMA with standing elbows all that much. Probably because guys avoid elbowing in sparring due to the risk of cuts. Jones seems to land them almost every time he throws them, even more impressive considering the blood in his eyes this time.

Not sure I'd rank it #1 MMA fight of all time though. It was tremendous and it's certainly up there but I don't know. Not even sure I'd have it #1 in LHW history to be honest. Think I prefer Hendo-Shogun slightly. But still, it was an absolutely incredible fight.

Archived