UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fucking awesome is what that was.

I honestly had pretty much written Gustafsson off. I thought he had nothing for Jones and I based that almost solely on the fact that I saw no way he'd be able to cope with Jones' wrestling. That's why I didn't take much notice of the talk of reach, because I thought it would mean nothing when Gusty would likely spend most of the fight on his back eating elbows.

Wrong.

I don't think anybody saw it going down like that. I'm sure even the people who were giving Gusty a chance, were probably fancying him to land a KO shot early doors. Nobody would have predicted a 5 round war like that. Amazing. I'd already decided Gusty's chin was pretty granite when he reacted to bombs off Shogun like they were flea bites.

The wrestling is what shocked tonight. I really thought Jones would mop the floor with him in the grappling department. Watching the Countdown earlier, they brought up that Gusty had been training his wrestling with Phil Davis and I thought 'good point...but no, it won't be enough'. Well, fuck me. He looked great. He fucking won every wrestling exchange. This was a guy who had no wrestling three years ago, massive improvement.

All that said, I agreed with the decision. I had Jones taking the last two rounds, and I had him winning the second as well. I'd have to rewatch it but I felt like he just about scraped through by the skin of his scrotum. It probably could've gone either way though.

Who cares? Tremendous fight. I'd have that #2 FOTY behind Wandy vs Stann, I think.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I couldn't have scored four rounds to either of them. It all comes down to the second round IMO. I had Gustafsson winning the first and third, and Jones definitely won the last two. The second is the decider to me, and I thought Jones took it on damage with the headkicks.

Regardless though, finally someone gave Jones a fight. He really had to graft for that win.

The main event, Jones vs Gusty... meh. Gustaffson just doesn't interest or impress me that much.

Well, that's changed. Fuck me, Gustaffson is as legit as they get. Easy FOTY for me, beats Wandy/Stann IMO because of the great technique and diversity mixed with the intense violence. Wandy vs Stann was a real life Rock Em Sock Em Robots game, which was awesome, but this main event was truly beautiful Mixed Martial Arts.

Dana mentioned on Fox Sports 1 that the doctors almost stopped the fight going into round 5 due to Jones' cut. Crazy stuff.

What a show. Francis Carmont tried his hardest to suck the life out of it, but Barao/Wineland and Jones/Gustaffson brought the heat.

• Paid Members

Super fight that could have easily went the other way.

I stated previously that I wondered if Jones' hubris would come into play again and decide he wanted to beat Gustafsson at his own game and show the reach talk was hot air. Going by Jones' comments post-fight, his game plan seemed to be exactly that. Of course, once Jones realised that he wasn't Superman he tried a few takedowns, but if you've not practiced and you are fighting somebody that has quite clearly worked hard on his wrestling then it's going to be tough. It's admirable and equally silly Jones decides to beat a man where his weapons are at their most deadly; you hope this fight doesn't change that alpha part of his fighting mentality and he decides to fight clever like GSP.

On this fight, I don't fancy Jones' chances against the elite heavyweights, unless he made some major adjustments. Gustafsson has shown he's a quality fighter, but imagine this Jones squaring off with a bigger, better and more powerful JDS.

• Paid Members

Dana has mentioned possibly doing Jones vs Gustafsson 2. Glover might have to wait.

Yeah Dave, I could see it for Gusty as well. It wouldn't have been a bad call either way. Such an incredible and close fight.

Awards were;

Fight Of The Night: Jones vs Gustafsson

Knockout Of The Night: Renan Barao

Submission Of The Night: Mitch Gagnon

All got $50K.

Barao's KO was sweet. Wineland is claiming early stoppage and I can kind of see his point, he looked stunned but not too badly hurt and only took maybe one clean punch on the ground. But watching it, you don't get the sense that he was getting out of that position. He was stunned and Barao was on him in nanoseconds. It would have most likely been either been a swarm of punches or a submission in the next 10-15 seconds if the ref had let it go.

From what I've heard, that was the last interim BW title fight. It's either Cruz vs Barao to solidify the true #1 or Cruz gets stripped and Barao is declared the legit BW champ. It's finally getting cleared up either way.

Gagnon-Kimura was great fun. And Schaub vs Meathead was surprisingly enjoyable I thought.

• Paid Members

I wonder how much that scoring/decision was influenced by the recent rule change where you no longer get credit for blocking takedowns (you just get the benefit that it stops your opponent getting credit themselves). Given there was hardly any action on the ground, that pretty much leaves it down to who was better at striking, which I can see going for Jones on a round-by-round basis, plus Gustafsson was retreating more which presumably counts towards Jones' Octagon control.

• Paid Members
Dana has mentioned possibly doing Jones vs Gustafsson 2. Glover might have to wait.

Excellent. I was just coming in here to ask about that.

It's an easy fight to sell and I can't think of a single person, that isn't affiliated with Glover, that wouldn't prefer Jones v Gustafsson 2.

Well that was FOTY for me. I know I'm definitely looking forward to a rematch between the two. To be honest I can't really call the fight, just because that second round was so close. It was just a shame that Gusty was so gassed by the end of the fourth, but he still managed to gut through it all.

I had Gusty rounds 1 and 3, with Jones 4 and 5. Gusty was winning 4 up until the end, round 2 was the difference maker. Gusty had more input , but Jones had the more meaningful shots. Other than the first round and maybe the last round, every round was close.

I say do a rematch, and yes credit to David above, you smug so and so ;)

Archived